JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nah, it's a GM 10 bolt. Blew my gov loc (G80) all over the place and had to rebuild the rear end. I can't remember off the top of my head, but believe I set the backlash to .009" (well within spec.). Now if I need help on mechanic stuff I'll know who to ask :D.. I'm a welder by trade, but won't hesitate to rebuild damn near anything. Speaking of that, the rear end on my truck is working flawlessly. Locker works better now than ever. Have about 30,000 miles on that rebuild with no problems so far...:cool:

Nah, it's a GM 10 bolt. Blew my gov loc (G80) all over the place and had to rebuild the rear end. I can't remember off the top of my head, but believe I set the backlash to .009" (well within spec.). Now if I need help on mechanic stuff I'll know who to ask :D.. I'm a welder by trade, but won't hesitate to rebuild damn near anything.
im a GM tech so ask away. yeah the 10bolt is what i call an 8.5"

Awesome, I'll seriously keep you in mind. My 04 GMC has had just about every dang thing on it rebuilt, except for the engine. Those LS1'S are damn fine engines. The front end was factory rebuilt a few years ago, I rebuilt the rear end and transfer case and the transmission was rebuilt by the dealership (under an extended warranty) a few years ago as well.....

Awesome, I'll seriously keep you in mind. My 04 GMC has had just about every dang thing on it rebuilt, except for the engine. Those LS1'S are damn fine engines. The front end was factory rebuilt a few years ago, I rebuilt the rear end and transfer case and the transmission was rebuilt by the dealership (under an extended warranty) a few years ago as well.....
yes, they are good engines. they dont make them like they used to. IMHO 96-2007 classic body was the best "era" of chevrolets. 5.7 "R" motor and the 5.3 "T" and "Z" motor are wonderful. 5.7 ls1 and the 6.0 are a great one too. sucks the gas but is a good engine

My wife had a '99 suburban and I truly miss that 5.7 litre vortec. It actually did better on fuel than my 04 GMC. I hear you about the body style though. I love the '04...

So back to benches.....

After a year and a half of my homemade bench the idea to use 4x4 posts and 4x4 leading edge boards has paid off. I still have ZERO deflection in the bench when sizing even the most stubborn rifle rounds.

I got tired of searching for little parts and stuff on my bench top, so I caulked all the cracks/corners and joints where the little parts hide and painted the whole thing gloss bright white with oil based paint.
The whole inside of my loading cabinet...and as an added bonus, it's much brighter now with the light reflecting of the white surfaces.
Yes it gets dirty, but I can aggressively clean it, because it's oil base paint, brushed on from a $12 quart of Rustoleum.
The "bench top" is a 2x6 and 2x4 caulked all around.
IMG_0910_zpsttlyhv7d.jpg
18443d93-e22f-4796-b58e-d9f30e6b4981_zpszxjgw9s4.jpg
:D

You a "Train Guy"? For many, many years I've had to have a UP calendar!

Used to ride the OLD "California Zephyr" between SLC and Denver. I know that's D&RGW, but many travels included views of UP trains also.
Hey there, Mike! I'm not a train guy, but my wife's grandfather sure was. He was a civil engineer for Union Pacific and we found the calendar that's hanging above my reloading bench in a box when we were cleaning out her parents house. The images are still spectacular!

So back to benches.....

After a year and a half of my homemade bench the idea to use 4x4 posts and 4x4 leading edge boards has paid off. I still have ZERO deflection in the bench when sizing even the most stubborn rifle rounds.
The old house I rented had one of those "kit" shop benches that Sears used to sell. 4x4 legs with two 4x12 CVG fir timbers across the top and 8 ft long. I talked the landlord out of it when I bought my house and I bracketed it to the studs in my shop when I moved in. You'd snap a press in half before you had any deflection from that bench. I wish I had refinished it before I bolted all my equipment to it. It would look really nice all sanded up and oiled with some watco natural.

IMG_2275.JPG Well I moved my operation from my cramped quarters in the house to my pole building about a year ago. However this winter has been a butt kicker for cold and my semi insulated space was costing way too much to heat. So I decided to stud in part of the loft and insulate a reloading/man room. I am not much of a carpenter and the project got a little ambitious and out of hand but two months into it and double over budget I can finally see the finish line! I just have the ceiling to finish and hang lights and it will be operational. Flooring and Big screen TV will have to wait until bank account recovers a bit.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top