JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all! I have been reloading on a single stage for 6 months now and I finally got the coin together to step up to the big leagues with a progressive press (xl650). I have now found that I can reload faster then I can shoot.

I would like to start reloading for my friends, but I am aware there are some legal grey areas. From my reading, a FFL type 6 is required if I reload for profit or livelihood. What if I ask them to provide all of their own components and all I do is put the peices together with no fee charged what so ever?

I understand that there are liability factors at play as well, but I have gone to great lengths to ensure safe and accurate reloading techniques for all of my weapons and I trust my loads.

Do you have the statute right there so you can post it on here... if it only states you cant make money on reloads with out a FFLtype 6, then your in the clear if you dont charge for the service. However it would be smart to find that law and give it a quick read to be sure.

You got it homer. If your friends want you to load and your using load data that your guns like load em up. I generally keep 200 of the 1000 and they get the rest.
Liability could be an issue but if they are your friends and know you are doing it right there will be no issues. And if you are really concerned tell them to come over, make the coffee, bring your favorite ice cream and let them do it themselves.
I don't load for many people but the ones I do load for brag about the ammo.

Murphy's Law : Something will go wrong ... your fault, their fault or nobody's fault...doesn't matter. Who will get sued in the end?

Question : Is it worth the risk? Your friends may not sue, but their family members might.

Last Edited:
I understand that there are liability factors at play as well, but I have gone to great lengths to ensure safe and accurate reloading techniques for all of my weapons and I trust my loads.

I happen to work in insurance so I might be able to address the liability issue. If you aren't running it as a business (and it appears you can't do that without the ffl type 6) then if something did happen you would likely have some coverage if you have a homeowner's policy which typically has liability coverage. Don't know in your specific case of course but should be easy enough for you to check if you are concerned about the liability issue.

They take the ammo.leave you some money or trade stock.no papers signed

I never saw them take any ammo!
Only deal with those that can talk in code (and that you trust)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top