JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coated bullets are also cost effective and require less bore maintenance as well. Somehow I think they are more accurate than the plated bullets in general, but I don't use them much as I don't like that plastic smell when shooting.
Some of the hytek coated will give off that plastic smell. Powder coating doesn't smell like that. 385-400 degrees for 18-20 minutes and it's bonded to the lead like my ex wife to my checkbook.

I used to load and shoot a lot of cast .45, and WW231 was always my powder of choice. I'll have to look around for my records, don't recall the exact bullet or load used.

Many, many moons ago when I was first starting out I used some 230rn lead bullets in .45 acp (mild load) that left a lead mine in the bore. That started me on the learning process to understand that there's a whole lot more to the equation with lead bullets than just velocity or hardness. For example, I've loaded .44 magnum rounds that clock 1600 fps, plain-base cast bullet, no leading.

It's a different world now with coated bullets. I've been powder coating for a while and will never go back. I love it for a multitude of reasons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top