JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just now getting into reloading 45 ACP for plinking and competitive shooting. I've picked W231 as my powder and now it's time for bullets. I'd really like to reload 230grn cast bullets for the savings. From your experience what are good loads that keep the leading down and whats your favorite company to buy from? Any tips on loading cast bullets would be much appreciated.

I guess it all depends on the game you're playin'.....

When I shot 2700 matches.....it was 200 gr SWC (H&G 68 mold) cast lead over 4 grs. of Bulls Eye.

Aloha, Mark

I have loaded many thousands of this target load. It is a light target load I use for plates.
I have found that it will function with standard springs in over a dozen different
45s that I have tried. Have not experienced a 45 it would not work in. Mixed brass.
200 SWC lead I prefer Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets. With 4.0 grains of Bullseye.
As always check any load with published reloading data.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm just now getting into reloading 45 ACP for plinking and competitive shooting. I've picked W231 as my powder and now it's time for bullets. I'd really like to reload 230grn cast bullets for the savings. From your experience what are good loads that keep the leading down and whats your favorite company to buy from? Any tips on loading cast bullets would be much appreciated.

W231 is what I keep going back too. It's what I started with and after trying many others just keep going to it. Used to cast my own. Long ago started just buying. Since my loads are just for fun I keep them mid range. No matter where I have bought the bullets I have never had leading issues in .45. Used to buy a lot from National until they went under. Last time was from Missouri Bullet.

I don't think you can push a .45 ACP fast enough to lead a barrel using cast.

230gr cast can cost you around $106/shipped to your door per 1K.
230gr X-Treme run $68/500 or $136/1K + shipping.

Assuming you aren't using the cast in a Glock with polygonal rifling because it's unlikely somebody will oversize them by .002" for that rifling... (did I just start a debate?)

I would not have thought that. You can push a 185gr lead pill pretty fast with enough powder behind it.

I had to look. You made me question my existence.

Hogdon reloading shows these:
155gr and 185gr

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 8.07.36 PM.png

185gr.
Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 8.07.22 PM.png

I was actually expecting my statement to be false on the sub 200gr bullets. I was thinking more in the 230 range since it's a common cannon ball. :)

I had to look. You made me question my existence.

Hogdon reloading shows these:
155gr and 185gr

View attachment 349158

185gr.
View attachment 349159

I was actually expecting my statement to be false on the sub 200gr bullets. I was thinking more in the 230 range since it's a common cannon ball. :)

I don't want to make you question your existence. ;)

I know I've had to scrub the hell out of a barrel or two in the past. It was at that point I decided to go slow and (for the most part) use jacketed bullets.

I might have been pushing them a tad fast though :D

I don't want to make you question your existence. ;)

I know I've had to scrub the hell out of a barrel or two in the past. It was at that point I decided to go slow and (for the most part) use jacketed bullets.

I might have been pushing them a tad fast though :D
I haven't tried in .45acp but with .40S&W I am driving a 180gr Lyman 401638 at roughly 950 fps. with N340 or universal. I size to .401 and powder coat. Cheap and they work awesome with no leading. Powder coating works really well. I'm using a 162gr sized to .352 in my .351wsl and they are zipping at 15-1600 fps with no leading in an 18" barrel. All bhn of 12-15ish. I would think you could get that to work in a .45.

I don't think you can push a .45 ACP fast enough to lead a barrel using cast.

Trust me, you can.
I like to load most of my ammo on the warmer side of things and a decent charge of Unique behind a 230gr cast round nose will leave a bunch of crap that you'll scrub on a long time. :p

My only other note depends on the size of the chamber. I have an older Colt with a decent barrel that will accept my cast loads, but a Dan Wesson with a Match chamber that's too tight for most rounds. Switching to a .451" (from a .452") bullet would probably make it work, but I just never got around to trying. I'd use plated bullets over cast, if nothing else, just because they require less bore scrubbing.

After shooting coated bullets in 3 calibers without a hitch, I don't even consider traditionally cast/lubed anymore.
With the coated costing the same or less than wax lubed bullets, add to that cleaner loading and shooting with almost no smoke, what's not to like.
And for me, the added bonus that coated bullets are sold without lube grooves, that lets me use a bullet feeding die :)
I like these for 45acp with HP-38 (same as W231).
Polymer coating:
New! .45 ACP 200 Grain Semi Wad Cutter No Lube Groove - Red Coated - 1000ct
Hi-Tek coating:
.45 ACP
for a revolver though...:eek:
Lots of vendors sell them,
:D

Last Edited:
I think what the guys are saying, as far as I can tell is. First Slug the barrel then measure the slug, then add .001''. This should be your sizing die for your bore diameter.
Usually it is .451 or .452
Good bullet lube and reasonable bullet speed is key. Remember this is not a magnum.
I love the H&G # 68, but in my opinion if you are on a budget the Lyman 452460 runs a close second. Never less than a four cavity mould.

Lyman 4-Cavity Bullet Mold #452460 45 Cal (452 Diameter) 200 Grain

Silver Hand

Last Edited:
seat and crimp in 2 diff. ops, it keeps shaved lead and lube out of the seat/crimp die.

T&B bullets' prices include shipping,and he makes a great bullet. 230 gr. rn lands at 11 cents each.

because of the driving band some configurations like swc require a tad deeper seating with cast bullets.

185gr.
View attachment 349159

I was actually expecting my statement to be false on the sub 200gr bullets. I was thinking more in the 230 range since it's a common cannon ball. :)[/QUOTE]

I was wondering about that too. I often use slugs in the 200Gr range. Use them to make a real light load for Wife she loves. Then for the rest I set them to around 850FPS. Works great in every 1911 I have had. When I cast my own I added stuff to lead to harden or bought alloy that was premixed. When I stopped casting I have bought from multiple places. Slugs from 200-230. Never knew what kind of mix was used but have never had lead. Guess some must be getting barrels that for some reason lead? Lost track of the .45's I have had and have loaded for. Even a couple 45 ACP carbines and never leading in any of them. Of course I'm not loading my "defensive" ammo so never tried jacking up the FPS on my lead loads. Guess someone would have to give it a try and see what happens. If they for some reason end up with leading either try another seller or go with plated.
Last order I placed was 2K of 200gr LSWC. Cost me $184 to my door. As with all the lead I have tried over many decades they work fine in my 1911's and so far are working great in my latest .45 Carbine.

I am currently using Missouri Bullet Company 200gr swc. Their site has good info on velocity and bullet hardness leading. Currently using titegroup which is a little hot and can attribute to leading, but I am not getting any with the velocity I am running. Feed great in my 1911.

Coated bullets are also cost effective and require less bore maintenance as well. Somehow I think they are more accurate than the plated bullets in general, but I don't use them much as I don't like that plastic smell when shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top