1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Reloading 44mag...what powder???

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 66goat, Apr 16, 2010.

1. 66goat

66goat Oregon, Hillsboro Member

I picked up a Ruger SR 44 mag and would like to know what powder folks like. I have some Hornady 180 gr and 240 gr xtp. Looking for factory equivalent velocities. Been looking at the Hornady and Lyman reloading manuals..so many choices!

Have a couple of containers of unique that I have been using for 45LC and plenty of large pistol primers. Anyone tried Unique?

Thanks in advance
  2. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

recent production h110 or win296. its the same powder.
  4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

try www.reloadersnest.com - a reloaders resource

.44 Remington Magnum

When it comes to squeezing maximum power from a revolver at a level of recoil that can be handled by any shooter who is determined to learn to cope with it, the .44 Magnum has long been, and probably always will be, one of the greatest cartridges to ever exist, mainly because firearm writers like to write about it and firearm readers like to read about it. The .44 Magnum has a lot of class. It also represents the most powerful cartridge that can be comfortably fired in a revolver of conventional size and weight. Introduced in 1955 in the Model 29 revolver, the .44 Magnum was inspired by heavy loadings of the .44 Specialthat were once popular among a clan of pioneering handloaders lead by Elmer Keith. As a result of a bit of prodding by Keith and a few others who shared his passion for extremely powerful guns, Remington and Smith & Wesson teamed up to produce the answer to their prayers. Quick to hop aboard any bandwagon worth riding, Ruger wasted no time in introducing his Super Blackhawk in the equally new .44 Magnum chambering.

This text is based on information from “Cartridges of the World”, Hodgdon reloading manual, the cartridge designer and/or own resources.

Help supporting this site and visit our sponsors by clicking their banners.

Show all 53 loads

To narrow your search, choose the desired bullet weight, bullet name, or powder.

Bullet weight: Bullet name: Powder:
    180 grs
    200 grs
    210 grs
    240 grs
    250 grs
    265 grs
    270 grs
    300 grs
    320 grs
    Berrys FP
    Cast Performance LBT WLNGC
    Fiocchi SPSJ
    Hornady FN
    Hornady HP
    Hornady JHP
    Hornady SP
    Hornady XTP
    Lazer Cast FP
    Leadhead Hard Cast Keith
    Leadhead Hardcast
    Master Cast
    RCBS Cast
    Remington JHP
    Sierra JHC
    Speer FP
    Speer Gold Dot
    Swift A-Frame
    Alliant 2400
    Alliant Blue Dot
    Alliant Bullseye
    Alliant Unique
    Hodgdon H110
    Hodgdon HS-6
    Hodgdon Lil'gun
    IMR 4227
    Norma R123
    Vihtavuori 3N37
    Vihtavuori N110
    Vihtavuori N120
    Vihtavuori N320
    Vihtavuori N340
    Vihtavuori N350
    Wano PPP BP
    Winchester 296

Not yet verified user loads
    ID: Bullet weight: Bullet name: Powder:
    331 180 grs
    Remington JHP Hodgdon H110
    346 240 grs
    Hornady XTP JHP IMR Hi-Skor 800X
    355 240 grs
    reiner plated alliant power pistol
    369 240 grs
    Fiocchi SJSP Norma 123
    370 240 grs
    Fiocchi SJSP VihtaVuori N110
    404 250 grs
    Mt. Baldy Keith Stlye Hodgdon TITEGROUP
    461 240 grs
    Barnes 2400
    469 214 grs
    Lee cast RN Titegroup
    493 240 grs
    Hornady WW296
    530 240 grs
    Speer Gold Dot HP Alliant 2400
    531 240 grs
    Commercial Cast SWC Tightgroup
    535 240 grs
    Berry's hp IMR 800x
    569 240 grs
    cast lead alloy REDLINE CO. Unique alliant
    576 255 grs
    2-.429 balls,stacked,HC,Lee liq. lube Unique
  5. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

6. The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man rural Washington County, Oregon Active Member

I have used 2400, Unique, and Bullseye over the years with 240 grain bullets, mostly lead. Unique and Bullseye have produced excellent mild to moderate loads. Most of my loads have been with 2400 and I find it a very versatile powder for the .44 Mag. I see from my notes that I also tried IMR 4227 over 240 jacketed bullets in the early 1970's. My notes indicate those loads shot very well in a Marlin 1894 but were a handful in the Super Blackhawk. The folks who have responded before me have noted some excellent results with other powders. I find myself sticking to 2400 these days just because it works so well and I like to keep things simple :)
  7. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

I use 2400, win296/h110 for 240gr. I started with hornady XTPs, but after bi-mart jacked up the price not too long ago, now I shoot noslers from midwayusa.

I haven't shot much 180gr, mainly because I never found any loads that shot as good as 240 so I quite messing with them.
  8. 66goat

Thanks all for the information, much appreciated :thumbup: I picked up a chorny this weekend so it should help as I develop some loads.

I found both the 180 and 240 at walmart and thought I would give them both a try. Just for ease I will probably end up sticking with the 240's in the long run. Part of the fun is the tinkering :)
  9. Huntbear

Huntbear Ellensburg, Wa. Member

H110 is awesome. Love it for full boat loads.
  10. kodiak1

kodiak1 Alberta Territories Member

11. 66goat

How does it fair with medium charged loads?

12. n47587

n47587 creswell Member

I use a SW 629 for deer hunting. I load with laser cast 300 grn bullet with 16 grns of H110. Have had good results.
  13. 66goat

I was curious about loading down 110 to reproduce factroy loads.I have read a few posts that said not to load down as well, however none really said why.
  14. n47587

n47587 creswell Member

"Loading down" can cause problems with excessive pressure due too low load density. (ie- ratio of powder to the air in the case below the bullet)
  15. 66goat

Thanks again for all the info. It is great to have the forum as a resource when loading a new cartirge for the first time :thumbup:

I am assuming as long as I stay within the limits specified in my reloading manuals, latest Lyman and Nosler, I will be fine.
  16. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

Do Not download H110.
    Download 5744 if a load is listed for 44Mag
  17. Thule

Thule Monroe, WA Member

For full-house magnums I shoot 240gr Montana Gold bullets on top of 22.8gr of H110.

For light plinking loads, I really like shooting 240gr LaserCast lead SWC bullets on top of 5.5gr of IMR Trail Boss powder with a regular Remington 2 1/2 primer. Really accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.
  18. 66goat

Thanks for all the feedback. I procured some suplies and loaded up some test runs last week. Today I got a chance to try them out! I was using a Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel over an older F1 Chrony. Each line represents 5 shot round to calculate average FPS.

View attachment 11508
  19. Gassyman

Gassyman Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Haven't found any 296 yet, from what I hear it is almost identical to 110