JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Ruger SR 44 mag and would like to know what powder folks like. I have some Hornady 180 gr and 240 gr xtp. Looking for factory equivalent velocities. Been looking at the Hornady and Lyman reloading manuals..so many choices!

Have a couple of containers of unique that I have been using for 45LC and plenty of large pistol primers. Anyone tried Unique?

Thanks in advance

try www.reloadersnest.com - a reloaders resource

.44 Remington Magnum

When it comes to squeezing maximum power from a revolver at a level of recoil that can be handled by any shooter who is determined to learn to cope with it, the .44 Magnum has long been, and probably always will be, one of the greatest cartridges to ever exist, mainly because firearm writers like to write about it and firearm readers like to read about it. The .44 Magnum has a lot of class. It also represents the most powerful cartridge that can be comfortably fired in a revolver of conventional size and weight. Introduced in 1955 in the Model 29 revolver, the .44 Magnum was inspired by heavy loadings of the .44 Specialthat were once popular among a clan of pioneering handloaders lead by Elmer Keith. As a result of a bit of prodding by Keith and a few others who shared his passion for extremely powerful guns, Remington and Smith & Wesson teamed up to produce the answer to their prayers. Quick to hop aboard any bandwagon worth riding, Ruger wasted no time in introducing his Super Blackhawk in the equally new .44 Magnum chambering.

This text is based on information from "Cartridges of the World", Hodgdon reloading manual, the cartridge designer and/or own resources.

Help supporting this site and visit our sponsors by clicking their banners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show all 53 loads

To narrow your search, choose the desired bullet weight, bullet name, or powder.

Bullet weight: Bullet name: Powder:
180 grs
200 grs
210 grs
240 grs
250 grs
265 grs
270 grs
300 grs
320 grs
Berrys FP
Cast
Cast Performance LBT WLNGC
Fiocchi SPSJ
Hornady
Hornady FN
Hornady HP
Hornady JHP
Hornady SP
Hornady XTP
Lazer Cast FP
Leadhead Hard Cast Keith
Leadhead Hardcast
Master Cast
RCBS Cast
Remington JHP
Sierra JHC
Speer FP
Speer Gold Dot
Swift A-Frame
Alliant 2400
Alliant Blue Dot
Alliant Bullseye
Alliant Unique
Hodgdon H110
Hodgdon HS-6
Hodgdon Lil'gun
IMR 4227
Norma R123
Vihtavuori 3N37
Vihtavuori N110
Vihtavuori N120
Vihtavuori N320
Vihtavuori N340
Vihtavuori N350
Wano PPP BP
Winchester 296

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not yet verified user loads
ID: Bullet weight: Bullet name: Powder:
331 180 grs
Remington JHP Hodgdon H110
346 240 grs
Hornady XTP JHP IMR Hi-Skor 800X
355 240 grs
reiner plated alliant power pistol
369 240 grs
Fiocchi SJSP Norma 123
370 240 grs
Fiocchi SJSP VihtaVuori N110
404 250 grs
Mt. Baldy Keith Stlye Hodgdon TITEGROUP
461 240 grs
Barnes 2400
469 214 grs
Lee cast RN Titegroup
493 240 grs
Hornady WW296
530 240 grs
Speer Gold Dot HP Alliant 2400
531 240 grs
Commercial Cast SWC Tightgroup
535 240 grs
Berry's hp IMR 800x
569 240 grs
cast lead alloy REDLINE CO. Unique alliant
576 255 grs
2-.429 balls,stacked,HC,Lee liq. lube Unique

I have used 2400, Unique, and Bullseye over the years with 240 grain bullets, mostly lead. Unique and Bullseye have produced excellent mild to moderate loads. Most of my loads have been with 2400 and I find it a very versatile powder for the .44 Mag. I see from my notes that I also tried IMR 4227 over 240 jacketed bullets in the early 1970's. My notes indicate those loads shot very well in a Marlin 1894 but were a handful in the Super Blackhawk. The folks who have responded before me have noted some excellent results with other powders. I find myself sticking to 2400 these days just because it works so well and I like to keep things simple :)

I use 2400, win296/h110 for 240gr. I started with hornady XTPs, but after bi-mart jacked up the price not too long ago, now I shoot noslers from midwayusa.

I haven't shot much 180gr, mainly because I never found any loads that shot as good as 240 so I quite messing with them.

Thanks all for the information, much appreciated :s0155: I picked up a chorny this weekend so it should help as I develop some loads.

I haven't shot much 180gr, mainly because I never found any loads that shot as good as 240 so I quite messing with them.

I found both the 180 and 240 at walmart and thought I would give them both a try. Just for ease I will probably end up sticking with the 240's in the long run. Part of the fun is the tinkering :)

I was curious about loading down 110 to reproduce factroy loads.I have read a few posts that said not to load down as well, however none really said why.

"Loading down" can cause problems with excessive pressure due too low load density. (ie- ratio of powder to the air in the case below the bullet)

"Loading down" can cause problems with excessive pressure due too low load density. (ie- ratio of powder to the air in the case below the bullet)

Thanks again for all the info. It is great to have the forum as a resource when loading a new cartirge for the first time :s0155:

I am assuming as long as I stay within the limits specified in my reloading manuals, latest Lyman and Nosler, I will be fine.

For full-house magnums I shoot 240gr Montana Gold bullets on top of 22.8gr of H110.

For light plinking loads, I really like shooting 240gr LaserCast lead SWC bullets on top of 5.5gr of IMR Trail Boss powder with a regular Remington 2 1/2 primer. Really accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I procured some suplies and loaded up some test runs last week. Today I got a chance to try them out! I was using a Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel over an older F1 Chrony. Each line represents 5 shot round to calculate average FPS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top