JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If everything goes well, by the end of this week I will have a .300 BCK upper I will pick up from TNT Weaponry at the Expo Center and most reloading tools and components.

1. Seems that AA1680 is the favorite propellant for sub-sonic loads, but I do not have any. Who carries it locally? Any vendor who frequents the PDX gun shows?

2. If I can't get any AA1680, what about AA5744 as a plan B? I have a 2-3 lb of AA5744 (extruded), a bit faster and bulkier than AA1680 (ball). Has anyone tried it with 220gr SMK? Me thinks it should work fine on a pistol length gas system.

3. I’d like to experiment with .309 cal 200-240gr cast bullets. Problem is, I don’t do cast and have no intentions to take up yet another hobby. Does anyone know who has them? I know of a couple of vendors who have gas checked bullets which are almost as expensive as match jacketed bullets. That’s not what I want. I am looking for the typical bullet used for .30-06 at under 1800fps that can feed reliably on the AR platform.

AA1680 is the way to go for sure, Wholesale Sports (the old Sportsman's Warehouse) stocks it for abour $20 a pound. 11.5 grs with a 220 gr SMK does the job at about 1050 FPS from my 16" BBL.

1680 is a good powder. The quarterbore site has a lot of good info, as posted above.

H110 is the only powder I use for the 300blk aka 300/221 aka 300 fireball aka 300 whisper. For supersonic or subsonic loads it is hard to beat.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top