JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just checked about 3 steel cases all were .314 ID and as I recall bullets are .310 - .312...my .308 dia bullets just dropped inside the case...so it seems that resizing may be in order but that was part of the heat 'em up first idea was to increase ductility to enable resizing w/o brittle results. One of my concerns would be whether or not 250 degrees would be hot enough to get the desired/required ductility.

Just checked about 3 steel cases all were .314 ID and as I recall bullets are .310 - .312...my .308 dia bullets just dropped inside the case...so it seems that resizing may be in order but that was part of the heat 'em up first idea was to increase ductility to enable resizing w/o brittle results. One of my concerns would be whether or not 250 degrees would be hot enough to get the desired/required ductility.

This may be worth its own thread.

The other thing is, I don't remember any specifics but I know ferrous metals act different than non like brass or aluminum, in regards to tempering and such. I also suspect the steel would need a higher temp for annealing, if it even needs it. Time for us to read up...maybe Googling some terminology for the answers. Be good to know. There's a lot of steel in other chamberings with boxer primers from Wolf out there.

Too much to list,but here is an view into the maddness.
These were taken not too long after i built the building,it has grown considerably since.
Yes,everything is housed in a heated/AC cooled building in my back yard.
RK

man_cave_004.sized.jpg

man_cave_003.sized.jpg

I reload 9mm, 38 spcl and .45 acp on a Lee Classic Turret Press. I started on a Lee Hand Press. It's a lot of fun!

PS: RockKrawler gives me man envy

Off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll miss a few 22 hornet, 22sav, 223, 243, 270, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300 sav, 300 win mag. 300 weatherby, 45-70, 32h&r, 9mm,.38 spec.,357,40 smith, 500 smith, 45 acp. I have components and/or dies for others just haven't loaded those yet.

Too much to list,but here is an view into the maddness.
These were taken not too long after i built the building,it has grown considerably since.
Yes,everything is housed in a heated/AC cooled building in my back yard.
RK

Mine's a fraction of that in the basement. Cool all year.

I still fantasize about doing like you did in a heated/AC equipped 20ft cargo container. Defensible position against zombies.

.38 Special, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .45 ACP, .500 Mag, 7mm-08, .30-06, .375 Ruger, 45-70.

I started with a Lyman turret press, but once I got my Dillon RL550B I used it for everything for a while. Now I'm back to doing the bottle neck rifle loads on the Lyman, one by one.

Interested in aquiring dies for 30-30 and .303 British.

Last Edited:
Int he 45-70 loads I really like RL7. I shoot a Browning falling block and my loads are hot, but there are several loads that will work in your Marlin, too.
Check out a Lyman manual.

45 and 45 variants only as of right now. I'd like to start doing 308 and 12 gauge as well but I just haven't gotten around to getting the additional gear together. I'll have to get new presses for both since my current press is not tall enough to do the 308 rounds. I've read that I can rig my press to work but I'm really not sure I'm interested in doing so. Hind sight being 20/20 I should have sprung for a more versatile press but oh well such is life...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top