JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can you?

I'm about to get into reloading but want to make sure that I will be able to reload all types of ammo.

I'll be going with a small setup. Possibly one of those hand reloader kids.

Shooting:
XD40 (x2)
Ruger P90 .45

A friend and I are going in half on one and I want to make sure we get everything we need and are able to do what we need.

go to midwayusa.com . order lee pro 1000 press. comes al set up for $158.00. this will save you so much time and head ache.i have a lee setup just for .45 and it flat works.ive had no issues at all. i shoot 1000 rounds of 45 a month,and my press keeps right up.

Yes, hollow points can be easily loaded as well as FMJ, lead, etc. Not all premium bullets sold in factory ammo is available for handloaders. Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Sabre, Hornady XTP, Barnes X-bullet solid copper, and generic HP from Win and Rem are usually available.

You will not find, as far as I know, Hydrashock, Ranger SXT, or Starfire available for reloading.

Some HP designs have significantly different profiles and lengths so you should use reloading data specific to the brand and style of HP if at all possible. Some manuals will have warnings to not seat shorter than a certain COL because of the HP's ogive will then be inside the case mouth.

to jump right into a progressive like a pro 1000 'can' be done,but learning what the dies do,on a single stage,is a better way to start. imho
I started with a Lee Challenger ,and when I graduated to a progressive,it was not a walk in the park.far from it.
Along the way you'll find uses for a single stage,and the dies and such will interchange between then,so make life easy on youself and start that way.again,imho.
Actually,start by getting a Lyman's reloading manul and reading it .It;'s my go-to book.

As a long time reloader and now deeply into progressive-loaders, I agree with Throckmorton in recommending a single stage press to get started.
I do not recommend the hand units (featuring technology from the the early 1900's or earlier), unless you have more patience than anyone I know. They might be best for back-up in the field, but I've never felt the need!.
Get two loading manuals and READ all you can about it. Best investment of all when starting out.
Lee has the best priced basic equipment, a C press or kit with one would be a great starter and not much money. You can learn what else you need in your extensive study on the subject...hint!!
On the net, other place to look is www.grafs.com. They pay shipping chgs.
Be safe.

I started with a progressive myself, but I was willing to be patient (NOT easy for me!) and not load a single round until I did a great deal of reading on reloading (good advice regardless) and learning the idiosyncrasies of my particular press. It was a significant learning curve considering the challenges I faced with indexing and primer feeding but I did conquer them and I was glad I took the route I did.

There are numerous items you must simultaneously pay very close attention to when loading with a progressive which does become easier with experience, but one must never let such fall into inattention and/or complacency. Reloading is one hobby where inattention and/or complacency can get you killed.

For the record, I bought a Hornady Lock-n-Load Auto Progressive for my first press. I did purchase a single-stage last week for those tasks which are more convenient to do on such.

Yeah, the hand loader would be an interesting start- I don't have one (yet) though, so I can't comment. Certainly a low-cost option but if it were me and I were on a tight budget I would probably save up and opt for a single-stage instead, JMO.

+1 on the Lyman Reloading Handbook (49th Ed.)- great manual.

I have the opportunity to buy a new RCBS? Master Kit?

Somebody I know has anew one that's unused. Complete with manual etc. If I can get that for a decent price I'll snag it.

There's a HUGE book that comes with it.
Then agin I may find it useful to see hands on.

The thread is slightly derailed but:
This is the one that I'll be getting:
<broken link removed>

I know I need the dies. .40 and .45 for pistol.

What else (other than brass, powder and lead) will I need?

A solid work bench (i'm going to make one)

The thread is slightly derailed but:
This is the one that I'll be getting:
<broken link removed>

I know I need the dies. .40 and .45 for pistol.

What else (other than brass, powder and lead) will I need?

A solid work bench (i'm going to make one)

You also need:
- dial calipers for all your measuring of COL, case diameter, primer seated depth, etc.
- bullet puller (inertai hammer style is good for pistol)
- probably a brass tumbler and polishing media
- a packet of extra small and large replacement decapping pins (my RCBS decapping pins bend more easily than any other brand)

FWIW, the Lee Classic Turret Press is unlike a progressive. It still has a center ram to hold just one case and the turret turns to each new station rather than the shell holder having 3 cases which turn. It loads just one round at a time but with the automation of turning the turret to bring around successive dies, the primer seater, and the powder measure.

You can easily disconnect the rod which causes the turret to turn and instantly convert the press to single stage. Do one function on all cases, and then manually turn the turret to the next die/station.

Now when you're ready to gain some speed, you can switch it back to auto. Still, you have only one case at a time on the ram to watch while the turret turns.

Also, the Lee progressive (Pro 1000) won't load anything larger than .223 while the Classic Turret Press will load pistol and large rifle.

That said, the progressive will really crank out the rounds for the experienced (and very attentive) reloader.

And THAT said, a debate about which press is best will run to 1,000 posts. :D

<broken link removed>

RCBS IS TOP OF THE LINE AND THEY EVEN HAVE ENTRY LEVEL KITS. you will be hard pressed to find a better company to deal with unless you put out 1500 for a dillon system. Remember when loading hollow points in rifle cartridges they are usually not recommended for hunting big game. They come apart to easily.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top