JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sometimes they are berdan primed, so that would be the largest obstacle.

I have reloaded some that are boxer primed, they split really bad when fired a second time. Not really safe or practical, not when brass cases are not that expensive and last many, many times longer.

You'll get a couple of loadings out of them but they work harden quickly and the casings become brittle and split. Not worth the hassle of possible chamber damage.

That thread was a classic disaster that said nor proved anything.. as is normally the case.
There's been more guns destroyed using brass cases than anything. lol

Isn't that kind of a silly statement? Beings there have been like 50 KtrillionZillion rounds of ammo cased in brass and aluminum not so much?

Isn't that kind of a silly statement? Beings there have been like 50 KtrillionZillion rounds of ammo cased in brass and aluminum not so much?
Not that I know of. One would obviously have to do some sort of normalized statistical analysis to actually state the particulars.. but what I said is absolutely true.

I'm no metallurgist but do know a little about some materials and where to look to find out about others.

So when aluminum is exposed to air a thin coating of aluminum oxide forms on it's surface, that is insoluble in water.
Sometimes called corundum, it's that white chalky stuff that's on aluminum range cases that have been on the ground for a while.
The hardness of Corundum makes it a perfect abrasive, and it's in things like the Nu-Finish I use to polish "brass" and buff steel gun parts:rolleyes:

Aluminium - Wikipedia

Aluminium oxide - Wikipedia

Ever seen a bushing/bearing sleeve made aluminum...me neither.
Ever notice how much a file/drill/hacksaw loads up when using it on aluminum, but that same tool doesn't load up when used on steel or brass?
just sayin'
:D

There's enough info on this subject that I would never monkey with trying to reload aluminum.
And it's just too easy to acquire brass for reloading purposes.

Now if you want to defy physics and common sense, have at it.

anybody ever tried it?

No. And heck no.

Last thing I want is case head separation. If you are deciding between buying aluminum cased or brass cased ammo for future reloading, look at your hands and count the 10 reasons why you go brass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top