JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got an old Ithaca M49 from a member on here. I got it fairly cheap knowing the risk that these old guns have usually seen a lot of use and have ejection problems. I finally got around to taking it out yesterday and sure enough ejection issues. I have come to the conclusion that the chamber is worn out. As spent .22 casings are slightly belled out.

So I am interesting in having the barrel relined as I can not find any New barrels online to replace it with. Any ideas on what this might cost? Or recommendations on where to have it done? I know the gun is not worth much but these old .22's have soft spot in my heart. Lots of good memories :)

I've had good and bad luck with them. The barrels are pressed into the receiver, and that's where the problem is on occasion. Removing the barrel is a challenge sometimes and I have seen more than one cracked receiver since they are made out of aluminum. I have found several like new barrels on ebay. So if the barrel comes off no problem, its an easy swap.

To put a liner in your current barrel, runs around $200.

I've had good and bad luck with them. The barrels are pressed into the receiver, and that's where the problem is on occasion. Removing the barrel is a challenge sometimes and I have seen more than one cracked receiver since they are made out of aluminum. I have found several like new barrels on ebay. So if the barrel comes off no problem, its an easy swap.

To put a liner in your current barrel, runs around $200.

Just out of curiosity, if only the chamber is worn, and the rifling in the barrel is good, would it be possible to just reline the chamber, and re- chamber ream, and cut a new extractor relief?

I seem to remember them doing this in the old shop I worked at when they didn't want to do a full reline job IF the rifling was good....

Also, I think somebody once told me that a valve push rod from a Chevy V-8 had the exact I.D needed for a .22 rim fire cartridge, but that might not be true, as I've never measured the I.D on one....

Last Edited:
@mike1281 say is your .22 a single shot or a repeater?

@Rick4070 yep that's going to be another option. I've taken out just the chamber area. Bore it out to .400 or so diameter and then .750 deep. And make a plug for it. Then just rechamber it. But we need the barrel out of the receiver for sure.
It's also might be possible to set the whole barrel back .125, and ream to depth.

Many times tho in old .22's the first few inches are also shot out.:(

Huh, that's an interesting idea. Is that any cheaper? Having a hard time convincing my better half of shelling out the cash to repair it at this time. It's a single shot.

@mike1281 say is your .22 a single shot or a repeater?

@Rick4070 yep that's going to be another option. I've taken out just the chamber area. Bore it out to .400 or so diameter and then .750 deep. And make a plug for it. Then just rechamber it. But we need the barrel out of the receiver for sure.
It's also might be possible to set the whole barrel back .125, and ream to depth.

Many times tho in old .22's the first few inches are also shot out.:(

Hopefully, the barrel will come out, and go from there.

I remember watching a new guy at the shop, right out of gunsmithing school who was told to drill about a half dozen .22 barrels for liners, he was using the tailstock ram, and it was a slow process, only about 2" of travel in the ram, in a little, pull the tailstock back, clear chips, etc. etc.

I showed him how to dial in the tool holder on the cross slide, so he could use the carriage to drill the barrels.

Boy was he happy!

The boss kind of got mad at me, he said he wanted the new guy to figure it out himself....

I figured the new guy was working for a low wage, and getting a small commission for each barrel.

Seemed to me that the faster he could get one done, the more money both he and the shop made..

The lining jobs turned out really good, drilling from the breech, if you stopped just short of drilling clear through, right where the shoulder of the pilot drill joined the larger drill bit tip angle, and then turning a chamfer on the liner to match the drill point angle, after the liner was installed, you could barely see a small line where the end of the liner was.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top