JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Military style slings, either leather or nylon. But leather will last longer.

Old 03A3 or Garand sling
Rifle-Sling-Shooting-Lead.jpg

M1/M14 sling: (nylon pictured)
CJ-Weapons-Sling-M1-A-and-M-14-A.jpg

I've long used an Uncle Mike's (black nylon with swivels) on my kevlar stocked .308
060-26923.jpg

Last Edited:
What is it going on? What sort of setup do you like to run your sling? Single point? 3 point? 2 point?

I've been using magpul slings for a while and like them a lot.

Depends on your use. For general, all weather slings, I use the "Ultimate" gun sling by Specialty Outdoor Products. It's all rubber and has some interesting potential. I like it on my stainless and synthetic guns for weather resistance.
Not my pic:
91hDqPqabbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For my lever actions, I usually go with a Montana gun sling. No buckles on the sling. Adjustment is controlled by a sliding leather knot. Interesting concept and helps prevent some dings maybe. https://www.montanagunslings.com/gun-slings.php
This one IS my pic: :D
1894CSBL_Ford_1_2018-10-11.jpg

The M1/M14 sling is great for Appleseed and general use. There are plenty of tutorials about how best to employee it in a variety of scenarios. I prefer polyester over cotton for weather durability, although both should hold up well if properly taken care of.
Not my pic:
4a8MsH9.jpg

Edit way after the fact this has been mentioned, so not claiming credit for saying it before anyone:

For ARs, I have some generics but the Blue Force Gear Vickers is the one I use on my nicer AR (it's nice to me, okay? Don't judge!). Comes in a few colors to match my AR's furniture, because who doesn't like to accessorize?
This IS my pic. Magpul foliage green (the best green. Why'd they cut it?!?!):
First_LR_AR_1.jpg

Last Edited:
Yeah, I have both single point and 2pt slings for my ARs.... but when OP said SHTF, I immediately thought of bolt action rifle.... durability, ease of use, fewer moving parts, ruggedness, etc, so that's why I was thinking military sling. I was thinking survival, not BOOGALOO.

I have various hunting slings, but I think the simpler the better for SHTF, and for preppers maybe it's something that sits stored away or in actual SHTF gets beat around a lot. My nylon slings store well but won't take a lot of rubbing on other stuff, that's why I think a leather sling is better for SHTF.

Last Edited:
BFG Vickers sling is what I use exclusively on AR. Leather on levers and old style USGI slings on my 22's. Surplus on combloc rifles.

Reccomend 1-1/4" thick minimum.

IMHO, I generally use nice leather slings for BA rifles and nylon for AR's and shotguns. I've outfitted all my AR's with the MS1 sling with QD's from Magpul and they've served me well so far. With QD's I can go from 2 point to 1 point in a flash.;)

Last Edited:
I recently got all the rifles equipped with slings last year. I went with Magpul two point quick adjust slings with various mounting hardware for various different attachments on various rifles. I'd say they are very reliable and very well built. They are easy to adjust and customize, come in various colors, and are pretty well priced.

BFG Vickers sling is what I use exclusively on AR. Leather on levers and old style USGI slings on my 22's. Surplus on combloc rifles.

Reccomend 1-1/4" thick minimum.

+1 to the vickers. It has worked better as a duty sling than the older three points and provides almost the same stability as a loop sling without taking it off the rifle or body. Comforable, functional, and quickly adjusts to shooting position or level of gear worn.

MAG-PUL MS-1 sling is my go to sling now! Tough, reliable, easy to use, wide enough to be comfortable, and still allows a rifleman's hold when adjusted properly to the rifle! Can be converted to a 3 point if desired, or a single point for those who prefer such! It also allows "African Carry" should you prefer that style of carry!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top