JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Buddy of mine is a cop. He needs a reliability package on his 1911 for work.
I stopped by the gunsmith in Coquille today. The name of the company is Pisco. Ken there is a great guy! Anyway as we know there's a lot of hack jobs for gunsmiths these days. Like a lot of things.
My last thought is, do we as ccl folks, or home owners think about these reliability jobs for the guns?
I never did.

What exactly is a "reliability" package? I have a lot of guns that are reliable and none have a package............

Why did you buddy guy a tool that was not the right tool for his job?

I'm going avoid the package comment. It's bad for my heterosexual lifestyle.
But the reliability thing is in regards to your gun Always working, aside from idiot owner. Like it will cycle any ammo, unless the due from sling blade reloaded it. My buddies gun would shoot three magazines worth, then the slide wouldnt engage all the way.
That's a problem in battle.
I'm sure there's other much smarter people here, that have more details.

I'm going avoid the package comment. It's bad for my heterosexual lifestyle.
But the reliability thing is in regards to your gun Always working, aside from idiot owner. Like it will cycle any ammo, unless the due from sling blade reloaded it. My buddies gun would shoot three magazines worth, then the slide wouldnt engage all the way.
That's a problem in battle.
I'm sure there's other much smarter people here, that have more details.

Why did he buy a gun that is not reliable? Why is he not pissed that it does not work properly and send it back? What makes what the gunsmith does to it reliable?

I agree on that!
This gunsmith said the Springfield xd is better than glocks.
I like my glocks and my kimber.
But if I'm aiming to make sure I stop a perp, I'm grabbing the 1911

Good question.
From what I've heard, no gun is reliable. So being a cop, this extra work, is a life saver.

If you say so. IMHO ANY gun that needs work to be "reliable" is NOT a gun I will be using for anything other then target practice.

I am not trying to beat you up here but you keep contradicting yourself. First you say no gun is reliable, but then apparently after being worked on it will be.........?????

This gunsmith said the Springfield xd is better than glocks.
I like my glocks and my kimber.
But if I'm aiming to make sure I stop a perp, I'm grabbing the 1911

How does one type of gun stop a "perp" better then another? Are you saying that a .45 acp delivered from a Glock is not as good as a .45 acp delivered from a 1911?

:s0112:. I almost sit this one out. But the guys are being facetious instead of helpful. :D

I have included here a link to an NRA magazine article that might prove useful to you. I've done most of the tuning suggested here on my mil spec springer and have been very effective.

Tuning the M1911 for Reliability

Then, shoot several boxes (~200) of the SD ammo you intend to use. Call it good if you get zero fails. Some firearms can be picky with 8rd mags.

Back in the Jurassic when 1911s were Colts guys would buy Gold Cups for their sights and have smiths loosen up the tolerances so that they would function reliably in dirt with ball ammo. Kind of reverse accurizing. Government models etc had really rudimentary sights back in the day. Closest thing I have heard of to the OP's question.

You don't affect me..
I'm a big boy.
I think my buddy and his fellow officers, are really careful and picky about making sure there ins are reliable. He and I, and most others, have picky guns. I'm sure you have seen that. He likes this gun a lot. But, after 3 double stack mags have been run through the gun, the slide starts to stick, and not close all the way. Then he has to push the slide with his thumb to engage it fully. The gunsmith told me today that's not exceptible. The gunsmith also said, Most guns need work, to make them right.
In regards to my comment about using my 1911 in the heat of battle. Let me clear up your confusion. The 1911 just feels better in my hand, and I'm much more accurate with it. But your right also, in saying a .45 is a .45. They all kill the same. Again I just feel more confident with a 1911 in my hand.

Back in the Jurassic when 1911s were Colts guys would buy Gold Cups for their sights and have smiths loosen up the tolerances so that they would function reliably in dirt with ball ammo. Kind of reverse accurizing. Government models etc had really rudimentary sights back in the day. Closest thing I have heard of to the OP's question.

I ended up with an extra spring and guide in my Gold Cup so it handled heavier ball ammo and hotter loads better. I flat wore that gun out, and it needed new parts eventually to remain reliable.

My current 1911 was fine in stock trim from the factory, but there are a number of things the guy who built it up for me did to make it slicker 'n snot on a brass doorknob with anything I feed it. Plus some other specific features I like for speed and accuracy. Not sure if that qualifies as a "reliability package," but I've got an open mind and could see a gunsmith or shop advertizing a package of similar upgrades in such a manner.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top