JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
mrs tac would have been a bad guy's worst nightmare with her SIG P230 and P228, my Walther PP, also in 9mmK and, when I was 'away' an HK MP5[KS]. However, she also loved the 4" bbl Model 29, a SIG P220 and just about anything in 9mmP and took a LOT of money off the local military police in lunchtime competitions.

tac

close to Beaverton...
for rental I suggest Beaver Creek Armory. (in full disclosure Ive never been there, its just close....). There is also Threat Dynamics in Tualatin, probably the next closest.

for a gun store near Beaverton I would recommend Oregon Arms and Ammunition. They are a small shop with just about everything, an excellent selection, and my experience is the sales will not try to sell something that wont work for her. What Ive found is they stick mostly to telling you about the differences between the options your looking at and stay away from opinions... pretty unbiased in my opinion.
OK thanks I have both those on the list yaeah the gun shop up here where I buy from is a small shop and none of the sale's people work on a comishon so no sales pressure I have found that those are the best

I always liked The Gun Broker in Tigard (close to Beaverton, an advantage), they have had ladies behind the counter too. Now that Northwest Armory has taken over there, I haven't been in that shop, but I also like the NWA in Milwaukie so it still should be good.

If she's not going to carry concealed she should get the heaviest .357 Mag revolver out there, at least a 4" barrel, and stuff it with the softest shooting .38 Spl loads you can find. Or as an alternative, one of the revolvers in .22LR or .22 WMR. By the time she gets to 70 yrs old the .22 might have been the better bet.

I don't necessarily agree with the need to have her actually shoot a bunch of guns first. You just about can't go wrong with a decent name brand .357 or .22LR revolver, and even the smallest "collection" can always use such a gun. Even if you decide to sell later, it's not that big a deal to trade it in. One should be careful not to put too many barriers in the way of actually getting the gun.

Last Edited:
I always liked The Gun Broker in Tigard (close to Beaverton, an advantage), they have had ladies behind the counter too. Now that Northwest Armory has taken over there, I haven't been in that shop, but I also like the NWA in Milwaukie so it still should be good.

If she's not going to carry concealed she should get the heaviest .357 Mag revolver out there, at least a 4" barrel, and stuff it with the softest shooting .38 Spl loads you can find. Or as an alternative, one of the revolvers in .22LR or .22 WMR. By the time she gets to 70 yrs old the .22 might have been the better bet.
YEP well she's been talking bout getting one for awhile now just gotta tell her to get out there and look a round she has been looking online but just has not gone to any store 's I don't think yet

i will second Threat Dynamics in Sherwood. A great staff that will help her out. They, as with most ranges, will not rent you a gun, unless you already own one. If she takes another person with her so she is not alone, then they will. They also have women only classes. She can rent/try different guns and then take the instructional classes that appeal to her. Then practice at their indoor range.

I'd recommend Sportsman's warehouse, Fisherman's marine or NW Armory to get hands on a firearm to See which gun she likes the feel of. If she doesn't mind a 2 hour drive, the Barons Den in Eugene is an awesome place to test rent guns.

I didn't read through all 47 posts. If it hasn't been mentioned yet.....Have Auntie get the Handguns 101 class at the Clackamas county training center. It will give her a good grasp of handling a fire arm and they rent gun to students. It's a very appropriate class for a lady too. 4 hours in class and 4 hours on the range. It will give her the confidence to THEN go and handle firearms at the different stores. Except Kieth's, Kieth's is a place you go to get a better price, AFTER you've decided what you want. ;)

As to a recommended gun for the class...Wifey really enjoyed using my Ruger SR9C 9mm when she took the class. Not too big and not too small not too much recoil.

Have Auntie get the Handguns 101 class at the Clackamas county training center. It will give her a good grasp of handling a fire arm and they rent gun to students. It's a very appropriate class for a lady too. 4 hours in class and 4 hours on the range. It will give her the confidence to THEN go and handle firearms at the different stores.
I second Mikes suggestion. I think they even have ladies only classes...

Like others, I'd suggest a double action revolver for someone who isn't going to be shooting often. Get a mid length barrel to keep it controllable with a grip that fits her well as my first choice.

For a semi automatic, have her look at the S&W M&P 9 series. The slides are easy to work, a bonus in a stressful situation and won't be a problem if she's worried about her nails. The Shield, even though it's designed for carry, is an excellent choice as it can fit a ladies hand well and felt recoil is somehow lighter than the full size version.

mrs tac would have been a bad guy's worst nightmare with her SIG P230 and P228, my Walther PP, also in 9mmK and, when I was 'away' an HK MP5[KS]. However, she also loved the 4" bbl Model 29, a SIG P220 and just about anything in 9mmP and took a LOT of money off the local military police in lunchtime competitions.

tac
There's really nothing like a gunny sack lode.

Have her try the Public Safety Training Center. It's over by the Clackamas Town Center. Part of the sheriff's department. They not only rent guns but also have training classes. As far as local gun shops to Beaverton/Hillsboro she could always try Cabella's. They have quite a few handguns and she should be able to find one that fits her there. Additionally, she can go to the Outdoor Outfitters (Sportsman's Warehouse) on 185th and Highway 26. They have a lot of handguns there and some really nice people behind the counter.

Here's the URL for the PSTC -- Public Safety Training Center & Indoor Shooting Range

Sodbuster

I don't want to read all of this, but perhaps suggest the Clackamas Armory (part of Sheriff's dept) to her. They have firearms training specifically for women where instructors can work directly with her. They have a wide range of rental firearms to try out, and they'll surely help her find the best one.

Have her try the Public Safety Training Center. It's over by the Clackamas Town Center. Part of the sheriff's department. They not only rent guns but also have training classes. As far as local gun shops to Beaverton/Hillsboro she could always try Cabella's. They have quite a few handguns and she should be able to find one that fits her there. Additionally, she can go to the Outdoor Outfitters (Sportsman's Warehouse) on 185th and Highway 26. They have a lot of handguns there and some really nice people behind the counter.

Here's the URL for the PSTC -- Public Safety Training Center & Indoor Shooting Range

Sodbuster

I was going to suggest the same thing:

Public Safety Training Center & Indoor Shooting Range

I've not actually been there, as I usually just go shoot outside in the woods, but I've heard good things, and their prices for range shooting and renting guns seem to be much less expensive than places like Beaver Creek Armory; I'm not saying anything bad about them, but they are kind of spendy, in my opinion.

As for a couple other places, I have a friend that buys stuff from Oregon Arms, and mostly likes it (there is one guy there, he's not fond of, but the rest are cool).

I took my concealed carry class for OR/UT in Hillsboro at MK Tactical, and they seemed pretty cool. Also bought my Glock there.

Wait a minute, has no one suggested The Gun Room?!?!?!? :s0140:

If you've never had the pleasure, here are some reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-gun-room-portland-2

As for a place you'd actually want a relative to go to, I'd also recommend the Clackamas Sheriff's range that others have mentioned. They offer a variety of classes, and you can rent a bunch of different stuff. Only disadvantage is you have to buy your ammo there.

OK here is my question I have a aunt that lives in Beaverton OR and she was asking me what would be the best gun for her I told her I can't tell her that .I said the best gun is the one you can shoot best or are comfortable using anyway what is the best gun shops in that area that she could go to that are going to help her and not just try to sell her what ever PS... SHE'S 60 YEARS OLD looking for hand gun home defense I should also say she was in the air Force year's and years ago in the medical field then and now I do know she had a 38 pistol year's ago but she doesn't have anything now and has not owned a firearm for a while
There is a woman in her area names Catherine Hoffman who heads up the ladies league at Tri-County Gun club. Her contact information is [email protected] . I believe she may be a reliable resource.

My wife and I would be glad to take your aunt out to Tri County Gun Club to learn basic handgun safety and try out a few different pistols. We would consider it part of our civic duty to support someone becoming a new shooter.

We also live in Beaverton, near Hart and Murray. You can check out my Instagram, my handle is "connectologist".

My wife and I would be glad to take your aunt out to Tri County Gun Club to learn basic handgun safety and try out a few different pistols. We would consider it part of our civic duty to support someone becoming a new shooter.

We also live in Beaverton, near Hart and Murray. You can check out my Instagram, my handle is "connectologist".

Awesome. I also live in Beaverton, near Hart and Murray and was thinking along similar lines; If the OP is not in the area, I'd be happy to go to a gun store with her to make sure she doesn't get BS'd. :) This area of Beaverton must be a nice, friendly area. LOL

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top