JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK here is my question I have a aunt that lives in Beaverton OR and she was asking me what would be the best gun for her I told her I can't tell her that .I said the best gun is the one you can shoot best or are comfortable using anyway what is the best gun shops in that area that she could go to that are going to help her and not just try to sell her what ever PS... SHE'S 60 YEARS OLD looking for hand gun home defense I should also say she was in the air Force year's and years ago in the medical field then and now I do know she had a 38 pistol year's ago but she doesn't have anything now and has not owned a firearm for a while

Last Edited:
Go to any gun shop to see which ones feel best in her hand then have her go to a range that rents guns this way she will know if she really likes it.

Good for her!!! There are a lot of variables to consider: Can she manipulate the slide of a semi-auto handgun?? Or does she prefer a revolver?? What caliber does she think she needs (or wants) and why?? Right now she says for home defense, but will there come a time where she wants to conceal carry it?? If she is comfortable in driving I would tell her to go to Rich's Gun Shop in Donald-I believe they would let her try some handguns in their shooting range to see what she likes and dislikes.
My 2 cents

Good for her!!! There are a lot of variables to consider: Can she manipulate the slide of a semi-auto handgun?? Or does she prefer a revolver?? What caliber does she think she needs (or wants) and why?? Right now she says for home defense, but will there come a time where she wants to conceal carry it?? If she is comfortable in driving I would tell her to go to Rich's Gun Shop in Donald-I believe they would let her try some handguns in their shooting range to see what she likes and dislikes.
My 2 cents
I'm thinking revolvers OK she mentioned a place in Gresham but could not remember name of store that also had range I told her I would ask on here I'm waiting for her to let me know the name of shop

That's what I told her try to find a range that rents guns

thats the only way to go because it may feel good in her hand but shooting it is so different. just between you and me I had a block one time that felt good in the hand but the trigger guard irritated my finger. no big deal but it was like a splinter (a pain) all gone now

You might check the Women Shooters Section. There is a lengthy post on Know-it-all gun store staff, and if I recall correctly some of the female shooters had suggestions on dealers that treated them considerately. And that, in addition to trying out various guns, is a major factor for your aunt in making the right choice.

Sounds like Rich's would be an excellent place to start. If they have their own range and a knowledgeable staff they could hopefully answer her questions and point her in the right direction.......no pun intended.........;)

OK here is my question I have a aunt that lives in Beaverton OR and she was asking me what would be the best gun for her I told her I can't tell her that .I said the best gun is the one you can shoot best or are comfortable using anyway what is the best gun shops in that area that she could go to that are going to help her and not just try to sell her what ever PS... SHE'S 60 YEARS OLD looking for hand gun home defense I should also say she was in the air Force year's and years ago in the medical field then and now I do know she had a 38 pistol year's ago but she doesn't have anything now and has not owned a firearm for a while

Sounds like the first thing she needs to do is find a teacher. If you or another family member can't, tell her to find a class with a reputable instructor. she needs someone to let her start out slow and make sure they don't hand her a gun she can't shoot and make it hard for her. After she has a chance to shoot a while she will know far better what works for her. Normally someone like this is best served by starting with a .22 hand gun. When they can stay on paper and are having fun then they can move up to different things. She will soon find what she thinks works best for her.

Sounds like the first thing she needs to do is find a teacher. If you or another family member can't, tell her to find a class with a reputable instructor. she needs someone to let her start out slow and make sure they don't hand her a gun she can't shoot and make it hard for her. After she has a chance to shoot a while she will know far better what works for her. Normally someone like this is best served by starting with a .22 hand gun. When they can stay on paper and are having fun then they can move up to different things. She will soon find what she thinks works best for her.
OK thanks I appreciate that but I'm way up here in north WA she did come up here in the summertime and I took her to the range but I only have 9mm and 40 cal hand guns the 9mm didn't bother her to much but I have a older P89 we did rent a 380 but she didn't like the small gun so I'm probably thinking a revolver in between those because if the auto Jam's Will she be able to get it running again

Some where that does offer training would be great but I don't know anything bout OREGON LAWS AND GUN STORES
Hopefully someone on this forum can recommend someplace for her locally. If no one comes up with one tell her to try a shop or two. Most any range would be a good start. Bound to be some instructors working with one. If there is one with rentals even better. FAR cheaper to rent a gun and find out she does not like it rather than buy one and find that.

If I have to I will go down there and help here but I need a starting point like I said I know nothing bout Range's and gun shops in that Area

Oh god dam now I got to buy my mom a gun too cuz I had to ask her questions bout my aunt like how old she was and what city she exactly lived in she says if she gets a new gun then she wants her own not just use mine LOL oh well LIKE I NEED A EXCUSE TO GO TO THE GUN STORE

Take her to a gun store (I have always liked NWA and Oregon Rifle Works is great too)
and see what feels comfortable. Then post in the "want to try" section of this forum to
see if anyone here has what she is interested in trying out.

+1 on the advice above - to rent, handle and shoot any gun before you buy it. A friend of mine, a grandmother, was gifted a Glock 30 but she didn't like the grip or the slide and ended up selling it. Conversely, my GF got to shoot several pistols and ended up with a keeper that fits her perfectly.

And there's the issue of what state the recipients live in, and the BGI paperwork. Laws sort of wreck the sweet surprise of you buying it and wrapping it and giving it to someone else in another state.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top