JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You'd be surprised how much better you feel if you imbibe less...
Not sure if you'd smell it or not. Some people use mouth wash and perfume to cover their tracks.

Question. She was drinking whiskey. Wouldn't folks around the home smell it?

Alcohol is water soluble, so it's actually very easy to completely wash off your hands, lips, and mouth. Brush your teeth and, if you were holding your breath, you'd be good to go. But, it will still exist in your stomach and smells can come up from there, especially if you're burping...but those are often mitigated using some other smell (gum, mouthwash, snacking, coffee). Coffee, brewed nearby (coffee smell in the air) followed by drinking it black and making sure to swish it in your teeth to coat them in that coffee smell (your dentist will hate you) and you've probably covered it up to where most people wouldn't smell anything suspicious.

Given what you said about her husband, it's more likely that people knew what she was doing and just didn't care. I drank like a fish for a good, long time and the only person that cared was my wife to be. Family didn't. Friends didn't.

It might take a strong will to confront your demons but it takes an equally strong will to confront your family or friend. In my experience, most people just let others spiral.

Also, addicts are addicts - it's not something you do, it's something you are. The trick is to put your energy into things that are not self-destructive and to learn to find enjoyment in those things.

As a life-long non-drinker of alcoholic beverages of all kinds, due to a genetic disposition that does not let my body deal with alcohol, I can nevertheless sympathise with those for whom it has become a prop and a vital part of their lifestyle. I can smell alcohol, 9 times out of 10, on an individual person in a crowded room, especially grain spirits.

I also notice very small changes in behaviour, speech, mannerisms and the general 'aura' of somebody who has been drinking and is trying to hide the fact. With me, they are wasting their time. I just know.

Its hard. Keep it up

I can tell you first hand that excessive drinking WILL kill you.

A couple times a week I go see my brother in the hospital in Portland... he has been there since the day after Christmas.

He is dying. Period.

His drinking damaged his liver to the point of severe cirrhosis. The cirrhosis limited blood flow through his liver, which backed up into the veins around the esophagus... which ruptured causing massive internal bleeding... upon reaching the ER he needed 8 units of blood transfused. Beyond that, his liver can no longer process the ammonia in his system which is sending the ammonia into his blood stream and into his brain where it causes extreme confusion, etc (encephalopathy) ... ultimately leading to a comatose state.

He was in a coma for a week. He has now been in the hospital for a month. He is conscious and mentally aware again but is still bedridden and entering palliative care.

He will not likely see his 40th birthday. Sitting there watching him die, all yellow and distended... his liver is so swollen he looks pregnant, skin and eyes so yellow it looks like he is coated in Iodine.

Quitting is a hell of a thing to do. Be proud of every day..... I have never had issues with addiction of any kind myself, but Ive watched it take a couple family members right before my eyes, and now my own brother..... and for what?

Thanx for posting this.

I am headed for cirrhosis from fatty liver, not from drink... my doctors prohibited me from drinking. I have a genetic tendency to extremely high triglycerides and need to cut fat out of my diet. I've got some portal vein backpressure and an enlarged spleen as a result. So far the search for veins at the esophagus has been negative. But habits are hard to change. :(:(:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top