JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What type of medical gear do you regularly carry?

• Don’t need it, I can just call 911

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tourniquet only

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tourniquet and a little more (explain)

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Tourniquet and A LOT MORE (explain)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Nothing right now, but I think I should…

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
What....this doesn't count?
Trojan-Condoms.gif

Aloha, Mark

Tru-Spec 24/7 cargo pants or shorts. Or as my wife calls them "Purse Pants". The other day we where at a pizza place birthday party and one of my kids asked if I had something to light the candles. I handed him a book of matches and his brother said "Pay up". I asked my son if he actually bet against me having matches and he said "No, the bet was which pocket you would pull them out of".
That's awesome. Haha. I can't bring myself to wear cargo pants. I think the Marine Corps messed me up in that regard. Haha.

That's awesome. Haha. I can't bring myself to wear cargo pants. I think the Marine Corps messed me up in that regard. Haha.
Cargo shorts are pretty much the standard Dad uniform out here during the Summer.

Cargo pants tend to give away that I am carrying

1453057740352.jpg

unless I am working and carrying other tools, then people just think that I have a lot of tools.

A brand name tool case on your belt is a good way to carry EDC stuff too.

Cargo shorts are pretty much the standard Dad uniform out here during the Summer.

Cargo pants tend to give away that I am carrying

View attachment 1232099

unless I am working and carrying other tools, then people just think that I have a lot of tools.

A brand name tool case on your belt is a good way to carry EDC stuff too.
Yea. I'll admit the 5.11 pants are comfortable but refuse to wear tactical looking clothing. It's jeans, boots, t shirt and hat for me. But the spaces to carry extra stuff is limited. But I can carry everything I need in my pockets. Gun, fixed blade, folder, light, extra mag, TQ, wallet and keys.

I'm either wearing jeans, shorts, or slacks 99% of the time. Will do 5.11s & cargos for hiking, camping, etc, but that's pretty much it. I need a med kit that fits my preferred attire, not the other way around. Updated my original reply with pics:

Been a contractor working around power tools my entire life I've never never needed anything more than superglue that being said I've never tried to plug a gun shot wound with it.

What....this doesn't count?
View attachment 1232082

Aloha, Mark
There's a whole slew of skits that can be done with "protection."

I was joking just yesterday with my wife when I read my deodorant advertised 48 hours of protection.

Like:

"Honey, we're pregnant again, I thought you said you used protection."

Yeah, I did, it's good for 48 hours according to the lid!

What are you talking about?

My deodorant says it has 48 hours of protection.

I've followed this thread a bit, but still don't get it. What the facination over tourniquets about?

Just about one of the last carry items that would ever cross my mind when talking about a small, compact, EDC kit. What am I missing?

I've followed this thread a bit, but still don't get it. What the facination over tourniquets about?

Just about one of the last carry items that would ever cross my mind when talking about a small, compact, EDC kit. What am I missing?
If you're shooting at someone the probability that they are shooting at you/stabbing you/assaulting you etc. is very high. You may wanna be able to stop blood flow. You'd be amazed at how fast you can bleed out. TQ saves lives. There is more to being your own first responder than just carrying a gun. You should have a basic understanding and tools when it comes to medical.

Last Edited:
They're really effective at stopping blood loss when you have a severe bleed on a limb. Plenty of accidents and injuries from violence impact the extremities.
Absolutely. And that can include events outside of self defense such as car accidents for example.

Too many of us know of, or have witnessed fatalities that could have been saved with a tourniquet. An otherwise survivable trauma turns really bad when a person is bleeding out.

The only downside is that a tourniquet is only used on limbs. It can't be used on injuries to the head, neck, torso, groin, etc. That's why i carry the SWAT-T - it is a tourniquet (not the best, but functional), and it can also serve other purposes. It makes a great compression bandage for injuries pretty much anywhere on the body (pairs well with quikclot for this purpose), it can be used to immobilize a break or sprain, it can serve as a sling for an injured arm or shoulder... lots of utility in a small package. Self administration can be a challenge, but is doable with practice.

There is more to be your own first responder than just carrying a gun. You should have a basic understanding and tools when it comes to medical.
:s0140: I guess no one uses belts, shirts, socks, shoelaces, purse straps, etc... any more? No one has the basic understanding on how to improvise a tourniquet any more?

I see. I guess I just look at an EDC "essentials" kit to be ""low bulk" and contain items that would be called into regular use under common living circumstances on a fairly routine basis. Carrying a large bulk item EDC that is highly likely to never be used, when other readily available implements exist that will do the same job, doesn't fall into my definition of "essentials".

I was just curious. Carry on!👍

:s0140: I guess no one uses belts, shirts, socks, shoelaces, purse straps, etc... any more? No one has the basic understanding on how to improvise a tourniquet any more?

I see. I guess I just look at an EDC "essentials" kit to be ""low bulk" and contain items that would be called into regular use under common living circumstances on a fairly routine basis. Carrying a large bulk item EDC that is highly likely to never be used, when other readily available implements exist that will do the same job, doesn't fall into my definition of "essentials".

I was just curious. Carry on!👍
In the Boston bombing there were dozens of improvised tourniquets used to treat victims, and every single one failed to occlude bloodflow effectively. I have the report on it lying around somewhere if you want to read it. Knowing how to improvise one is great, but it is less effective than a purpose built tool.

Actually yes, field expedient materials can be used for a tourniquet. But modern portable tourniquets work so easily and efficiently... and quickly. They take up very little room.

A study of mass casualty events found that tourniquets typically would prevent the death of X% of people who otherwise died because of blood loss. Basically, it's a simple thing that can be carried that can save people's life who would otherwise easily bleed to death.

In the Boston bombing there were dozens of improvised tourniquets used to treat victims, and every single one failed to occlude bloodflow effectively. I have the report on it lying around somewhere if you want to read it. Knowing how to improvise one is great, but it is less effective than a purpose built tool.
Yep, this - most people who attempt to apply an improvised tourniquet do not actually stop blood flow as intended because the amount of pressure required is greater than they can apply without a windlass, and even so, securing it afterward is troublesome to maintain.

For $30 ish dollars a purpose built CAT-T is a no brainer.

Too many of us know of, or have witnessed fatalities that could have been saved with a tourniquet. An otherwise survivable trauma turns really bad when a person is bleeding out.
I get it. I've actually been part and party on 2 seperate occassions when a tourniquet (improvised) was applied, and likely saved their life. I'm not knocking tourniquets in general. Having witnessed them saving a life though doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to pack one every day of my life in the off chance one might be needed again.

I can probably think of 20lbs+ of gear, that can't be readily improvised, that "might" be called upon at some rare point and time that would save a life otherwise lost... but... I don't EDC those on my person, either. ;)

Not knocking anyone's choices, I was just curious about the import of a tourniquet that a thread would be dedicated to them. It made me wonder if I was missing something about some alternate use.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top