JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What type of medical gear do you regularly carry?

• Don’t need it, I can just call 911

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tourniquet only

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tourniquet and a little more (explain)

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Tourniquet and A LOT MORE (explain)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Nothing right now, but I think I should…

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

only $41.

I'd also suggest a Tactical IO device as well

This is what you put in the kit you label "I just shot an intruder and now want to keep them alive in the most painful way possible"

This is used to drill an interosseous IV into someone's tibia. Yes, drill an IV needle into the shin bone.

Video not for the squeamish
Well if I shot someone and for some strange reason needed to perform CPR to keep them alive, I'm glad they changed it and got rid of the mouth to mouth portion
because that means I can now repeatedly do chest compressions with both feet at once!

SWAT-T tourniquet, CELOX Rapid Ribbon, Packet of CELOX granules, a pair of non-latex gloves, small bottle of fortified hand sanitizer, my "Dad Pack" ziploc of assorted Bandaids, antibacterial gel, anti-itch wipes, Benadryl, anti-diarrheal and Tylenol pills.

If traveling in enemy territory, I add a SoftT Wide tourniquet, a front and rear chest seal, burn gel, plus an extra extended magazine.

My problem is I already carry a wallet, phone, spare mag, knife, pepper spray, and a flash light...and a gun of course. My pockets are already pretty full. The ankle rigs seem to work well and I'll probably pick one up at some point but you can't exactly wear them in summer time with shorts.
I use safariland horizontal mag pouches at 11 and 1 to hold the spare mag and the spray. The rest of the stuff: light, wallet, keys, knife, fit easily in the regular pockets which is why I'm going to start looking into a pouch that can effectively contain the basic hemorrhage control medical stuff in a cargo pocket. I figure it's a bit silly to be prepared to defend myself and also not be effectively prepared to prevent major blood loss.

I'm being literal. I cut meat for a living, have for a couple decades. You get cut sometimes. Heavy duty bandaids are used for booboos. If your still leakin , wrap tape over bandaid. Electricians tape is pretty nice because you can clinch it down and apply pressure to stop the bleeding, then back it off when the flow has slowed. Mechanics like it too.
Works good when you can't completely stop what you're doing. Works well oily and dirty.
No , I wouldn't tape over a bullet hole. But I rarely get shot at while I'm working. I do get cut a couple times a year.
I cut myself like that a while ago on my left index finger, literally kept pressure on it the whole time while I walked to the nearby rite aid, got some duct tape, neosporin and a big bandaid. Band aid and neosporing went directly on the wound, duct tape provided continued pressure around the cut. Left it on like that for several days before letting it breathe. Ended up healing up nicely, and since it was such a clean cut, the skin pressed back together with constant pressure only left a small scar.

In the trades, we saw lots of bandages fabricated from all kinds of tape. In later years, we saw lots of wound repairs with super glue.

Combitube, opx,npx, Israeli bandages, Israeli pocket bvm, a couple CAT tourniquets, superglue, electrical tape, safety pens, two pair of medical scissors, at-minimum an 18g needle, with 24in of tube. Those are a must in the kit for road trips and easily accessible. CAT tourniquets on all four obubblegum handles of the vehicle.

EDC a belt will suffice just fine as a TQ and an Israeli bandage best thing for inguinal bleeding. All personal opinion and preference as I believe medical to be close to the level of training as your firearm.

That looks like a wiener trap for unfaithful husbands…
1656578685633.png

I saw in the everyday carry thread that some people are carrying tourniquets.

Since tourniquets are only good for the limbs and do nothing for the joints (groin, neck, armpits, or the box (abdomen) I was thinking that celox impregnated gauze or similarly, quick clot gauze to push into serious wounds that a tourniquet would be useless for, would be something to seriously consider.

Since blood loss is the #1 cause of preventable death regarding traumatic wounds, I thought that might be something worth thinking about. This poll is to gauge what is already being done and promote discussion. I haven't got into the daily carry of medical gear yet, but my cargo shorts could definitely hold some. When I go to work I typically carry a backpack with a medical pouch on it that has some TQ's, Israeli bandages, gauze and other medical items that could be used to prevent significant blood loss until EMT's arrive. What do you carry?
I am in the process of building a wallet-sized trauma kit that I will eventually market and sell. I presently carry the prototype with me every day. It fits in my back pocket like a wallet, and contains a SWAT-T (not the best tourniquet, but it also functions as compression bandage and sling / ACE bandage), quikclot, gloves, sharpie, and alcohol wipes. It gives me the basics for lifesaving trauma care without having to wear an ankle rig or lug around a large med kit.

Edited: photos added. Gloves not pictured, and alcohol wipe is behind the quikclot.

20220630_153657.jpg 20220630_153714.jpg 20220630_153740.jpg

Last Edited:
Tourniquet, Israeli bandage and chest seal are the extent of what I have on hand for the rare case a gun shot wound occurs via accidental stupidity. Other than that a typical first aid kit and the fact I shoot mostly at a range with lots of resources and folks trained in "training accidents"

I'd be curious how much of this medical is carried on one's person? Having a bag of stuff is awesome but I am guessing that bag doesn't follow each of us into every store we go into…..

That was my intention of the post.
Yea. I just carry a TQ everywhere I go. That's on my person. Occasionally I will also carry a couple packs of combat gauze but that depends on what pair of pants I am wearing.

You get funny looks when going through medical detectors or TSA and have to empty your pockets. The people who know what it is will normally just look at you and smile while others have to ask what it is or what you use it for. If your honest you get some nasty looks. Haha

And in all honesty I carry medical for me. Not someone else. If I can help I will. But if I get shot in the chest/neck/pelvic girdle/etc I won't be working on myself. Now if it's in a limb I hope that's something I can manage. It's not only important to carry a TQ but to train with it as well.

Last Edited:
Well if I shot someone and for some strange reason needed to perform CPR to keep them alive, I'm glad they changed it and got rid of the mouth to mouth portion
because that means I can now repeatedly do chest compressions with both feet at once!
Ah! that's how you got your username!

Get on automated CPR machine. Hook it up, put the intruder in a shed or something and check on them in a few days

I'd be curious how much of this medical is carried on one's person? Having a bag of stuff is awesome but I am guessing that bag doesn't follow each of us into every store we go into…..
Tru-Spec 24/7 cargo pants or shorts. Or as my wife calls them "Purse Pants". The other day we where at a pizza place birthday party and one of my kids asked if I had something to light the candles. I handed him a book of matches and his brother said "Pay up". I asked my son if he actually bet against me having matches and he said "No, the bet was which pocket you would pull them out of".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top