JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.

Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

Funny, the first thing that comes up when I search SB2099 on the senate web site is this.

Is it true that . . . Senate Bill SB-2099 will require owners of firearms to pay a $50 charge per gun and list each gun on their federal tax form?

The answer is no. This Internet rumor states that SB-2099 is legislation currently being considered by the Senate. The bill supposedly requires owners of firearms to list on their 1040 tax return all guns they own and then pay a $50 charge per firearm. There is no such legislation by this name in the 111th Congress.

The facts:

* The last bill given the number S. 2099 was in the 105th Congress. This bill dealt with federal sentencing guidelines for counterfeiting offenses.
* Legislation that the Senate is currently working on will be listed on the Active Legislation page or can be searched for on Thomas. For more information about the legislative process or finding bills, please see the Legislation VRD page.

Someone's recycling an old alert, which wasn't even very accurate when it was new.

<broken link removed>

Clearing Up the Rumors: The Truth About The "Gun Tax Bill"

Friday, August 14, 2009

Over the past few months, NRA-ILA has received hundreds of e-mails warning us about "SB-2099," a bill that would supposedly require you to report all your guns on your income tax return every April 15.

Like many rumors, there's just a grain of truth to this one. Someone's recycling an old alert, which wasn't even very accurate when it was new.

There actually was a U.S. Senate bill with that number that would have taxed handguns -- nine years ago. It was introduced by anti-gun Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), and it would have included handguns under the National Firearms Act's tax and registration scheme. This has nothing to do with anyone's Form 1040, of course.

Fortunately, S. 2099 disappeared without any action by the Senate, back when Bill Clinton was still in the White House. We reported about it back then, just as we report about new anti-gun bills every week. Now, it's time for gun owners to drop this old distraction and focus on the real threats at hand.

To read a story by NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox on this and other rumors, please click here.

The Blair Holt act was essentially shot down for the second time this year.

Please research these things before posting them. (I see people rant about this bill once a week regularly on the forums I browse.)

This bill worried me at the time, but since then it has become a nuissance. It's not going anwhere. The last action on it was February.

So on your comment that.

It has started.

I am going to add

I has started and then was stopped before anything actually happened.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top