JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are some other posts/threads but search didn't return a good place for this information, move as appropriate.

Trump administration reinstates mandatory drone registration
Dec 14, 2017
President Trump has signed a bill that reinstates mandatory drone registration in the US, reversing a court ruling from earlier this year that eliminated the requirement.

Operators in the U.S. must register their drone if it weighs between 0.55lbs and 55lbs. The FAA's registration website currently states, "You will be subject to civil and criminal penalties if you meet the criteria to register an unmanned aircraft and do not register." Drones weighing more than 55lbs must be registered by paper rather than online.

Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

I'm waiting for the implementing regulation that says we can shoot down drones hovering around our windows. Or, in urban areas, throwing a net over them and turning the drone into the police to prosecute the owner for being a peeping pervert.;)

I knew a couple years ago or so this kind of thing was of course going to happen. Those RC planes have been around all my life. They until fairly recently were VERY expensive and quite a learning curve to master. As the drones got better as fast as they got cheaper I could see morons would of course start in. Of course the way to "fix this" would be hammer morons who are stupid to make an example out of them. That's never how it's done so more laws. It's only a matter of time till one of these causes some kind of national news type accident. Also they are rapidly becoming a way to smuggle stuff. Next of course will be some kind of attack. Laws like this will of course do nothing to stop this but as with gun control, well we have to "do something". People will be screaming for Gov. to do something.

I'm waiting for the implementing regulation that says we can shoot down drones hovering around our windows. Or, in urban areas, throwing a net over them and turning the drone into the police to prosecute the owner for being a peeping pervert.;)
Supply and demand. They have some ways to bring one down now. Of course they are costly now but I predict that will change. As more people get sick of just what you are talking about people will start to make more of the devices to drop one out of the air safely. Price will drop to where anyone who wants one can afford one.

United States vs Causby 328 US 256. The Supreme Court ruled close air space belongs to the property owner? Has this ever been overturned? An old case.

Seems to me if the Feds want drones registered as aircraft then the property owner has the right to protect his close airspace against registered aircraft ... including drones? If the drones are not registered then the property owner can legally shoot down such drones because they are illegal?

I am not a lawyer.

Do you weigh your drone with or without batteries? With or without camera? Before or after you add the registration stickers? Are there going to be certified drone weight inspection centers? :confused:
Does anyone care that the word "weight" is in itself illegal (the "i" comes after the "e" and there is no "c")!

On the bright side....
....I foresee some great innovation in the production of drones that are just under the registration weight.

2C5D5E4C-A0E8-4103-9418-04D2C978002F.jpeg 8E051913-33DA-4395-BE85-A6BDF83E5DA6.jpeg 2990A0F1-A14C-4B39-8336-52E1A16D44F8.jpeg 05267F13-F7FA-41A7-8B31-2E79668C53F3.jpeg 538BBB8E-CD2B-41E5-8228-FDAF20497E65.jpeg A5B2712B-042E-436C-8802-040E61D39A56.jpeg 4A929C75-3486-4C95-9F2D-16AF5D912A16.jpeg 516F5E3D-EC46-41DE-8070-ADA41C74A958.jpeg DA9C6F10-3D59-4809-B819-FBD74E62EADB.jpeg My shop is what kids these days call "Old School" D58FDE51-DE2B-4317-BAD0-4D583BA9BD8E.jpeg D5BB1728-321A-4231-900C-54665B3FB905.jpeg

A 50lb drone seems really large.
Maybe I'm not well versed in this world, but that seems like more than just model toys.

Missed a decimal point in there, :). As with all these "rules and laws" though what they start with can and now doubt will change. I have one of these small ones that is under the half pound so no registration. Bought it to play around with and see if I want to get a "real one" later. Controls seem to all work the same. Since I missed the video game thing its harder for me than many. Even these small ones though could and no doubt will cause some kind of big problem sooner or later. When one does they will of course just add more to the rules and laws.

I do not need so,domes apprval. You drone me and mine, your crashing to the ground. It's that simple.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top