JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the day, like yesturday, if you fly model airplanes, you have to comply with the regulations.

Why are those regulations not the same as for these so-called drones. Because you can operate a drone while standing on a hoverboard?

I argue we just need to enforce the regulations we currently have.

And if these items do not meet the definition, then that should be addressed by congress.

Just because you can, does not mean you can.

Anyone can grab a hack saw and shorten a shot gun barrel, doesn't mean you can.

To clarify what I mean by fly model airplanes
Skip to 5:00

Or these which are inexpensive and widely available

More information
Beaverton:
https://www.flyaways.org/

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/2850/where-is-rc-aircraft-flying-allowed-in-the-us

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

http://www.informationweek.com/gove...s-vs-model-aircraft-protested-/d/d-id/1297572

Last Edited:
In no way Oli700 will the registration only of these items have any effect on the safety of any crews. There is no mandatory training, no flight instructions, no upkeep on operations and knowledge of laws. This is as asinine as being forced to register firearm magazines (and clips).

honestly I am sorry your toys are under attack but you don't know what you are talking about.

We lost 9 folks in Iron44 helo crash, my brothers .....feel free look up the study and conclusion. You would be surprised what can be put together out of wreckage when people die due to negligence

and I also disagree with registering UAV's not save firefighter lives.
If one person says " Hey I better not fly over this fire because they might get my number" that alone could save lives so.....

we actually utilize UAV's for fire, I see the value in them as a tool and I see the fun as a toy
our operator has to have an actual pilots license

I see all the point everyone is making and even agree with some

I get that this is a gun forum, and there are similar parallels but you all are really reaching comparing this to constitutional rights.......

its unfortunate our society is not responsible enough to enjoy a good thing without ruining it for everyone but its a fact of today, lucky for us firearms are part of out rights and heritage as Americans , toys not so much

Last Edited:
Will FF transfers be legal ? Or will you have to go to a local toy store and have them do a transfer. All kidding aside, I see no way in this rule to do a transfer.

You may have been joking, but I really think that you're in the right vein though. So many questions:

Can you transfer registration?
Will stores have to make you register the drone before you can take possession of it?
Will stores have to become licenced by the FAA to sell drones (similar to an FFL)?

Ray

honestly I am sorry your toys are under attack but you don't know what you are talking about.
I see you have a personal and vested interest but idiots will be idiots.

http://www.firefighternation.com/article/professional-development/iron-44-tragedy
I saw that it lost power and crashed, due to a possible overweight situation. Did I miss a drone strike?

By the way, I don't own any flying objects.

So how does vehicle registration and driver's licenses cut back on those who drive drunk? They don't. Those who want to drive drunk (or fly without drone registration) still do and still kill people every freaking day! Registration does nothing but assert yet another reach into our lives and personal liberties...

You must have came from California. I can't believe you have a III% logo but will comply with this type of bullbubblegum. Blows my mind.

What if your drone weighs over 50 lbs?

Primoco-UAV-2.jpg

Last Edited:
"So, just out of curiosity, how does registration prevent these events from happening?"

Indeed. Government is not here to make us safer. Everybody knows that, right?

"So, just out of curiosity, how does registration prevent these events from happening?"
It doesn't any more than licensing that crazy chick driving on the sidewalk in Las Vegas yesterday, or registering the car she was in. I believe she was suspended by the way...

None of my birds weigh 250g so I'm okay until the laws are repeatedly tightened enough (if I continue flying) to make me surrender my personal information and pay regulatory fees for the criminal stupidity of others. And they will be. It's just a matter of how soon.

Forget fines and jail time. It would be cool/fun/satisfying to see half a dozen firefighters stomp the dog mess out of anyone caught flying a "drone" near a hot zone with planes and helos working the fire.

Depending on the type of drone you have, the technology currently exists to program restricted areas by GPS into drones. These are going to include airports and other restricted areas.

You would like to think that drone operators would have the responsibility to operate the UAV's properly, but we already know that with the number of complete ing idiots walking the earth that is not going to happen.

A $ 5 registration fee is clearly a money grab. It will provide nothing as far as any kind of enforcement, or even prevention activities. People will not know where to look for FAA TFR's in certain areas. I don't like it, but there is really nothing I can do. I will own a drone in the next couple of months for business purposes. Pretty sure the registration process will be self initated, kind of like those old CB licenses were back in the day.

While the thought that a plastic light weight drone would not do much damage, you simply cannot replicate every condition in testing. A 1.5 pound seagull broke the windshield and dented the leading edge of a Cessna 172 that I was right seat in with a friend years ago. Felt the impact pretty good, we were on a final approach and got down fine.

Don't like paying background checks on guns either, but that is the way it is.

I got news for some of you guys you keep talking about drones BUT THIS COVERS ALL FLYING MODELS Fixed or rotor wing R/C models even Control line models (the new regs mention tethered flight) SO if you have a 13 year old with a Cox control line plane that weighs over .55lbs he has to be registered.

Now for the "Only a government could come up with this s hit"

A free flight model airplane some of which will travel over 100mph and reach altitudes of a couple thousand feet are not part of this new registration as they are not controlled nor tethered.

You should read the screaming an yelling about this on the AMA web site (Academy of Model Aeronautics) That has been regulating and insuring model airplanes and helicopters since 1936. Those people are flat out pissed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top