JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Close, for all Title 1 firearms you are correct.

All NFA (Title 2 firearms) have to be registered and properly transferred even private sales.

Well true, but since WA doesn't allow most NFA items, and the ones that are grandfathered in are small in number, I figured those people already know what they need to do.

OK, how about. " In WA you are not required to register any firearm from a private sale, except for title 2 "

(4) All FFLs shall retain each Form 4473 and 4473(LV) for a period not less than 20 years from
the date of sale or disposition of the firearms
. Forms 4473 obtained by FFLs where the NICS
check was initiated, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm was not completed must be
retained for a period of not less than 5 years.199

That is what I was told the last time I bought a new gun at the gun shop, but I guess they were wrong.

Also, police are not allowed to just run your serial number simply because you possess a gun. If they are investigating a crime involving you and you have the gun, then they might be able to make a case as to why they run it. It is an illegal search for them to run just because you have it. That does not mean that they won't run it though, just that they are not supposed to and could get into trouble if they do and you report it.

Oh, I misunderstood you. See, the rule only sets the minimum retention time, but there is no maximum. So if a gun store wanted
to keep the records longer, they could.

Yes they could as 478.129 Retention of Records (e) Records of Retailers and Collectors states:
Last sentance:
Act of sale or disposition of firearms and the corresponding record of reciept of such firearms shall be retained after which records of transactions over 20 years may be discarded.

Notice: "may be discarded"

Well true, but since WA doesn't allow most NFA items, and the ones that are grandfathered in are small in number, I figured those people already know what they need to do.

OK, how about. " In WA you are not required to register any firearm from a private sale, except for title 2 "

Well we are allowed 3 of the 6 so that is half and there is work for more going on right now. Plus grandfathered ones can not be transferred in state so not an issue.

The seller and I are both in WA.

The scenario I'm nervous about is say I take the AR-15 I bought from a private seller to the gun range and it's in my car, the cop sees the case and wants to run the serial number. If it comes back obviously not me, am I ok? Or do I need to carry the bill of sell around with it? ha

So are all guns not registered in WA, unless you specially ask it to be from an FFL dealer or are having to ship it to one?

Well if you did something bad enough to make the cop run the serial number on a gun in the back seat,you have bigger problems.
he would have ,ABSOLUTELY no call for even checking the gun,except if it was loaded.Not loaded? We're done.

Last I heard it is now they have to keep them for good.

Actually there is in WA, the DOL keeps a central data base only for FFL sales or transfers, I can't remember if it was just handguns or all guns.

It is not a registry

It is NOT a registry.

There is no place in WA that you can call and someone will send you to an office to register a firearm.

oh, so if a cop runs it, it doesnt show the owner? got it! So helpful. So why do people even bother with FFl? just if they are worried if it gets stolen?

DO NOT let them run the serial number.Don't let then see the gun if you are worried.
None of their business what's in the case
Put the gun out of site...out of mind

Actually there is in WA, the DOL keeps a central data base only for FFL sales or transfers, I can't remember if it was just handguns or all guns.

They might keep records but will maintain that it is not a "Registry". It might fulfill the very function of what you and I might consider a registry to be. However it is not a registry because it is not called a registry. It might look like a tiger and walk like a tiger but it's not a tiger because 'they' don't want it to be a tiger. Call it what you will but it is still there. Clear as mud, eh?

They might keep records but will maintain that it is not a "Registry". It might fulfill the very function of what you and I might consider a registry to be. However it is not a registry because it is not called a registry. It might look like a tiger and walk like a tiger but it's not a tiger because 'they' don't want it to be a tiger. Call it what you will but it is still there. Clear as mud, eh?

It is only be a record of last buyer though an FFL. The second a private sale takes place the record is no good.

With registration ANY transfer of the firearm would be tracked and the current owner would have to have the paperwork (like registration for your car) in order to prove it was legal. So it does not look like a tiger, or walk like a tiger, but some people want to call it a tiger but it is only an over fed tabby cat.

It is only be a record of last buyer though an FFL. The second a private sale takes place the record is no good.

With registration ANY transfer of the firearm would be tracked and the current owner would have to have the paperwork (like registration for your car) in order to prove it was legal. So it does not look like a tiger, or walk like a tiger, but some people want to call it a tiger but it is only an over fed tabby cat.

It's actually pretty interesting thing. Imagine a handgun sold in California. It is registered in California's DOJ database. Then that handgun is sold to somebody out of state, say Arizona, via FFL in that state. California DOJ is not aware of that, unless the former owner files "no longer in possession" form with them. Then, that handgun is sold in a private sale in AZ to a bad guy. California doesn't know about that. Then, bad guy travels to California, and kills somebody, leaving handgun to be recovered. The rest you can figure out :D

**Records of Twenty years for Reciept and Disposition, and even if you go out of business they must be retained, then discarded after twenty..

** Actually there is in WA, the DOL keeps a central data base only for FFL sales or transfers, I can't remember if it was just handguns or all guns.

Pistol and Revolvers.[/QUOTE]

As well as a receiver marked as a pistol. My old AR15 is marked pistol so the state has record of it and shows me as the owner. It is a rifle but they still consider it a pistol because of its listed purpose from the manufacture.

If you buy a hand gun from/through a FFL in Washington it is in fact registered (though not in name). The dealer fills out a form that goes to the local PD where you live (county or city/town); with or without a CPL. The form contains your name, address, and the serial number of the weapon. Now what the locals do with information I have no idea; but, they have the information. And I think they hang on to it and maybe also send it to the state someplace.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Ruger SR9 from a dealer. After about 6 months I decided I did not like it and sold it privately. A couple of months later I got a letter from the Federal Way PD. The letter said they had recovered my Ruger from a crime scene and wanted me to come get it (????). I called and told them I no longer owned the pistol and told them the name of the person I sold it to. They said, "Thank You." and that they would look into it. That is the last I heard about it. Later though, I checked with the dealer and he told me the Feds had not requested anything from his books. That is the only way (ya, sure, you bet) the information should be available. The Feds ask the manufacturer where they sent it, then they go to the dealer and ask what he did with it and he gives them your information.

So, if the Feds didn't ask, guess where they got my name? Of course, they got it from the Washington NOT a registration database!!! Or they sent a request to every local/county PD in the state to search their NOT a registration database. One or the other.

Just letting you know,
Ed

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR