JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering if someone might shed a little light on my questions..

Are you required to register your guns in Oregon? What about other states?
If you carry in other states with an unregistered firearm, can you get into trouble?

I bought my carry gun from a gun show and all they did was run a background check, so my gun is supposed to be unregistered. I am planning a trip to another state- should I have my gun registered?

Thank you.

If you carry in other states with an unregistered firearm, can you get into trouble?

I bought my carry gun from a gun show and all they did was run a background check, so my gun is supposed to be unregistered. I am planning a trip to another state- should I have my gun registered?

Thank you.

Depends what state you purchased your weapon and where you are living. For instance I am a California resident living in Oregon. But I am also considered an Oregon resident. Gets kinda tricky but if I return to California I cannot bring any of my firearms since all the ones I own are a felony to own unless I registered them with the CDOJ before Jan 2000.

That being said I am exempt due to being military. So while on official orders I may bring down my firearms but I must register for an AW permit 60 days prior to entering California and it must be approved on top of only bringing in 10 round magazines before I cross state lines.

If I am just on leave or visiting California I can still bring in my weapons but I must conform to California law meaning Bullet Button and fixed magazines, then they are legal of course if they are also off list.

Here in Oregon they do a background check in 20 mins and you are good to go if your record is clean. The check includes what weapon and the serial number to the State Police for there file. I understand after a certain period of time that is destroyed.

My long guns arent registered here like they would have to be registered in California. Plus FTF sales/trades are legal from Oregon resident to Oregon resident. Anything over state lines must and shall go through an FFL dealer.

So to answer your last question if you are going to California (sorry I only use this as an example because I own a home there and travel yearly to California) then you can bring your firearm across state lines and it must only have a max of 10 round magazines and you must keep your ammunition and gun seperate and if asked by CHP or local police then you must tell them you have a weapon. Most ask anyway. If you have an off list handgun or long gun and a 10 round or less magazine then you should be good to go. Add the fixed stock, bullet button, and the long gun must not be shorter than 30 inches as per CDOJ.

Thank you.

Oregon has no requirement. Most of our neighboring states don't require it. The notable exception is California. There's a number of web references to look up gun laws when you travel.

<broken link removed>
Handgunlaw.us

There is no gun registration in Oregon. Other states not only require registration, but also limit the type or model of firearm allowed in the state. Mag capacity is also limited in some states. You will need to research the laws of the state you are going to.

Oregon has no formal gun registration process, and no requirement for any action. BUT. When you had your Oregon firearm background check your gun was de-facto registered, since the State keeps that record on file. Supposedly, such firearm records are purged every five years, but since they are shared with the Federal network anyway you should assume that they never go away. In effect, it IS registered......................elsullo :(

Oregon has no formal gun registration process, and no requirement for any action. BUT. When you had your Oregon firearm background check your gun was de-facto registered, since the State keeps that record on file. Supposedly, such firearm records are purged every five years, but since they are shared with the Federal network anyway you should assume that they never go away. In effect, it IS registered......................elsullo :(
This is true if you buy from a licensed dealer (FFL) who must legally record the transaction and do the background check. Obviously (or maybe not) if you buy from an individual and no state background check is done, there's no record, and this is still perfectly legal in Oregon.

This, by the way, is the "gun show loophole" that you hear the antis talk about. It has nothing to do with gun shows per-se; When they talk of "closing" this "loophole" it is dishonest verbal shorthand for "banning private sales".

-- Sam

there's no requirement to register, but there is a requirement to obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun. you mentioned your "carry" gun... if you don't have a CHP, you are in violation. i won't pass judgement on you- just informing.

in giving up a huge part of our second amendment in 1986, the NRA traded our rights to machineguns in exchange for the privilege of being able to transport our guns through other states unmolested. so if california lies in my path to a bona fide, verifiable training event, i can carry my big black evil rifles along with me. but they need to be unloaded, locked, and in the trunk. since my pickup doesn't have a trunk, i'm not too clear on that- but i don't intend to get pulled over, and i certainly dont intend to consent to a search if i did get pulled over, so i'm not too worried about it.

this also goes for bona fide training/competition/etc events in other states, such as california.

This is true if you buy from a licensed dealer (FFL) who must legally record the transaction and do the background check. Obviously (or maybe not) if you buy from an individual and no state background check is done, there's no record, and this is still perfectly legal in Oregon.

This, by the way, is the "gun show loophole" that you hear the antis talk about. It has nothing to do with gun shows per-se; When they talk of "closing" this "loophole" it is dishonest verbal shorthand for "banning private sales".

-- Sam

You are mistaken, and the Oregon Statues are very clear on this. The "loophole" they talk about is all about gunshows, and how OTHER states than Oregon allow unrestricted gunshow sales without background checks. Oregon has CLOSED this loophole, and any gun sale initiated at a gunshow, for either dealers OR private citizens, whether on those premises or not, MUST have a background check, and thus is effectively registered since the State keeps the record. Only private sales NOT initiated at a gunshow are exempt from the background check requirement...........................elsullo :(

You are mistaken, and the Oregon Statues are very clear on this. The "loophole" they talk about is all about gunshows, and how OTHER states than Oregon allow unrestricted gunshow sales without background checks. Oregon has CLOSED this loophole, and any gun sale initiated at a gunshow, for either dealers OR private citizens, whether on those premises or not, MUST have a background check, and thus is effectively registered since the State keeps the record. Only private sales NOT initiated at a gunshow are exempt from the background check requirement...........................elsullo :(
Sorry I wasn't clear: In the last paragraph I jumped track and was talking about the antis at the national level. Don't kid yourself that they'd be content to simply prohibit private, non-tracked sales at shows. We are/were lucky that the law was crafted well here.

-- Sam

Good information.. Thank you all.

I don't have any immediate plans to go into California, I now realize that it is amongst the craziest of the states in regards to firearm possession..

So then should I play it safe and simply register the firearm that I am planning on transporting? I am only concerned about my carry gun. I don't plan on getting pulled over, but then again I don't think anyone plans on getting pulled over.

you mentioned your "carry" gun... if you don't have a CHP, you are in violation. i won't pass judgement on you- just informing.

I appreciate the clarification. I do have an Oregon CHP and am in the process of getting my Floria CWP.

My understanding is that no firearms is registered through the state. Basically a "proceed" background check is held in Que for 48 hours then it is purged by law. The gun is "registered" only through the 4473 form that is held at the FFL for a minimum of 25 years. Of course the serial numbers are easily tracked from the manufacturer to the distributor and onto the end FFL. From there they would just pull the paperwork to see who a weapon was sold too.

This isn't gospel....just the way I understand it.

That's on the Federal level using NICS. The Oregon State Police retain the information. The FFL dealer is allowed to destroy the tumb print record after 5 years.

So then should I play it safe and simply register the firearm that I am planning on transporting?

Mr. Black, since there is no registration requirements in Oregon there also not place to register it to, so even if you wish to register it you will find there is no such place or process in Oregon.

I think it's safe to say that any state you may go to that requires registration will not extend you any rights to transport your firearm anyway so the point is moot.

I have a guide I bought in 2007 in it's 11th edition. The author updates it on the internet and it is quite informative. It is called.. Traveler's Giude to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States.. By J. Scott Kappas, Esq.

Traveler's Guide
P.O. Box 2156
Covington, KY 41012
(859) 491-6400

Gunlaws for the 50 States

You can order by mail or online. I would check the website.
Sorry I don't know how to do links. Wow :s0155: it did it for me what a great forum:s0155::s0155:

Mr. Black, since there is no registration requirements in Oregon there also not place to register it to, so even if you wish to register it you will find there is no such place or process in Oregon.

I think it's safe to say that any state you may go to that requires registration will not extend you any rights to transport your firearm anyway so the point is moot.

i thought OSP did offer voluntary registration, for sake of being able to recover stolen firearms. do you know that they dont?

i try to keep my "knowledge" as fact-based as possible- but there are still bits and pieces from many years ago floating around in my dome that i can't verify, from before i realized that most people in the gun industry are completely full of bubblegum.

i thought OSP did offer voluntary registration, for sake of being able to recover stolen firearms. do you know that they dont?

You may be thinking of voluntary background checks for private sales. These are not required if no gunshow or dealer is involved, but may be desirable to show that buyer, seller, and weapon are all legal. This DOES however, produce a de-facto registration as the Oregon State Police keeps the transaction records for at least five years. But this cannot be done if there is no sale involved............................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top