JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can you register an SBR for a weapon that you traded for (legally) and thus is not in your name?

EDIT FOR THE MEN IN THE BLACK HELICOPTERS :D

This thread should have read:

If one wanted to go through the registration process to SBR a pistol that they received through a legal trade, would he have to take his pistol to a dealer and have it transferred into his name.

if the OP is suggesting that a financial/goods transaction was effected in which there
was a meeting of the minds to trade wares, though the business dealing can be the
first step, but the next step is to ensure that the SBR can be legally transferable to
you under NFA, as well as local laws.

so, in effect, all the cherries must be lined up on the one-armed bandit before one
can really say that you've got a green light all the way.

As I understand it you can't even take physical possession of the weapon UNTIL the NFA registration is in your hands. Until then the original owner must keep it in their possession.

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Can you register an SBR for a weapon that you traded for (legally) and thus is not in your name?

I think you need to clarify your post.

1) Did you trade for a title I weapon and want to make that into an SBR?

2) Or, are you trying to get an SBR before you get the stamp?

Two very different scenarios.

If it's #1, then no problem.

If #2 - NO!

To the OP----I'm also a bit confused.

Did you buy/trade a legal (16" minimum barrel) rifle from a private party? If so,
it's yours. There is no "registered in your name", at least not in Oregon. So do with
it what you want. Apply to convert it to a SBR, wait for the stamp, do or have done
the conversion, enjoy your new toy.

OR

You traded (legally--REALLY??) for a rifle that is below the minimum barrel length but
is not registered as a SBR? What you have there is the makings for a serious felony,
and the opportunity to meet a whole new class of "friends". Hopefully your new nickname won't be "sweetbutt".

I agree with some of the other replies. You need to clarify your original post. Quickly--
before the black helicopters begin to hover above.:s0131:

Oh yea I guess that wasn't really clear. I posted a WTT ad here for my friend, his glock 19 for someones draco ak pistol. Now he is asking me questions about making it an SBR and wanted to know if since it wasn't orginally transferred to him if he can register it as an SBR.

Oh lol yea I guess that wasn't really clear. I posted a WTT ad here for my friend, his glock 19 for someones draco ak pistol. Now he is asking me questions about making it an SBR and wanted to know if since it wasn't orginally transferred to him if he can register it as an SBR.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Oh yea I guess that wasn't really clear. I posted a WTT ad here for my friend, his glock 19 for someones draco ak pistol. Now he is asking me questions about making it an SBR and wanted to know if since it wasn't orginally transferred to him if he can register it as an SBR.

Since there is NO registration of Title 1 firearms (except a couple states) there is no such thing as "in his name". If he owns the gun legally it IS his gun. If he wants to make an SBR out of it then he can do so as long as he follows all those rules. Once it is approved it will be a Title 2 firearm and WILL be registered to him (or trust/LLC depending on how he is doing it).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top