JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey Ketoiujin - if you want a really screwed-up nation, visit the UK.
Officially metric since 1971, you'll be VERY hard-pressed to find any visible evidence as you drive around the country. Except when you gas up - gasoline/diesel is sold in litres , but nobody cares, we just fill up or put in 'so much' fuel by value.

Oh yes, the money IS metric....

However, Wales has metric distances, although you have to be a Welsh speaker to appreciate what you are looking at. Welsh for miles is 'milltir' and is derived from the Latin word mille in the Roman thousand pace military mile.

Just to be getting on with......

View attachment 354526

tac

TAC,

Thanks for replying. Yes, I was just reading your post on the reality of Imperial over Metric in Blighty. I've been to the UK twice and, overall, noticed the same; de jure acceptance of metric as standard, de facto retention of the Imperial measurements system in the lived-in-day-to-day. I'd forgotten, though, that a "stone" was fourteen lbs - there are those equally proprietary elements of the English system that never made the transfer to North America - or perhaps did but died out from the popular lexicography in the New World - and "stone" was apparently one of them. I could be wrong on "stone" I just have never seen or heard it used here at all.

Until the metric system on the continent - basically until the arrival on the scene of that certain "French" First Consul from Corsica and his, briefly, pan-European leveling and standardization regime - everyone seems to have had their own "pace." The Dutch I know even had two - one for Metropolitan Holland and the other for the East Indies. This last is likely because those Ambonese and Javanese had a shorter stride than native Dutchmen back in Europe. The Austria-Hungarians had "schritt" (though I don't know the Magyar equivalent for it servicing the other "half" of the "Dual Monarchy"), the Russians had "arshini," though they also a "fyt" (the "y" is a "u" in Cyrillic). Strangely, on their screw threads, both Imperial Russia and the early USSR used Whitworth threads. Japan - further afield but later eager users of the metric system after 1868 - had their "shaku" which come to just shy of the English foot along with many other units of linear measurement. Interestingly, screw threads on military items including sniper scopes, and I guess still today on cars and some motorcycles, are of the "Japan Engineering (or "Industrial" if you're talking post-war) Standard" or "JIS" system.

Best,

Gunnar

And if y'all think Euro gun laws are a nuisance, now add US ITAR horsedrizzle on top of all that when entering/leaving the US with iron...

#DDTCDouchebaggery State Dept., Screwing the Good Guys Over Since the Barbary Wars!

Dear All - the 'tac' here is a handy nom-d'abréviation, not a NATO acronym. No capitals are necessary when using it.

Thanks.

tac

Yes, I know. Just got a lead finger on my shift key earlier and didn't feel like going back and correcting it.

Best,

Gunnar

Er, yes. I get the general picture, thanks. However, call me stoopid, but I don't see the connection between the US armed forces arriving in 1942 and the right to bring sporting guns to this country.

tac

I think it has something to do with the fact that some folks think just because we did the heavy lifting to first save and then preserve the Free World that gives us a right to run roughshod over everybody else.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top