JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Why do you want to register it? If you want to keep a record of it, take a picture and keep the serial number safe place. If it gets stolen then you have information to give to the police in case it shows up.

You dont need to register it with anyone.

The Washington State Police record all gun transactions through an FFL. There's no reason to "register" it otherwise.

You can register it with me...I'll take your name, phone number and address. Oh and if you can please include your schedule as to when you will be home and if you take your gun with you I would appreciate it, I don't want to make two trips.

Gun-shop-sign-I-like-my-guns-the-way-Obama-likes-his-voters-undocumented.jpg

Seriously though, this is a common misconception. Back in 2007, I also thought firearms had to be registered (mainly in case they got stolen). However, if your gun gets stolen you will need to tell them the make, model, caliber and serial number anyways so it's best to keep this record for yourself (preferably in a safety deposit box in case your house burns down).

There is no firearms registration in Oregon or Washington.
Stop believing what you see on TV unless you are in the fascist states like NY or CA.

There is a registry in Washington for handguns. There's actually a separate form an FFL has to fill out called a "Pistol Registry Form" each time a handgun is sold by an FFL in Washington. A person could add their own pistol to the registry if they wanted. I have a co-worker who did just that; then again, he's a moron.

OP, any particular reason you want to register your private property with the government when it's not required?

In WA you can voluntarily register a hand gun with the DOL. They have a form you can fill out and mail in. Now why you would want to I have no clue. This is one of the BAD parts of I 594 as all handguns transferred through an FFL are registered with WA DOL.
I see Modeler beat me to it.

OP, I just realized you're the guy who was delayed for a handgun right after you got your CPL. You above most should know not to trust the government with sensitive personal information regarding firearms if it can be avoided. Haven't you learned anything from your recent experience?

The Washington State Police record all gun transactions through an FFL. There's no reason to "register" it otherwise.

This is also a misconception...the only people that are even authorized to keep a record of transactions in the State of WA is the Department of Licensing.

http://smartgunlaws.org/retention-of-sales-background-check-records-in-washington/

The only reason you contact WSP is to check for anything that would proclude you from having a firearm, but having a Concealed Pistol License bypasses the need for that and the dealers only need to contact NICS

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/firchart.html

Looking at the I-594 state impact release, it does imply that the Washington State Department of Licensing does, in fact, keep a record of all pistol transactions submitted by a WA FFL dealer.

<broken link removed>

I never knew that, I always thought that the dealer kept the form and there was no further record of the transaction (I even asked other dealers in the past if this was true and got a flat out "no")...but it appears that all initial pistol transactions in WA are recorded- or at least are suppossed to be- with the Department of Licensing. Maybe requirements have changed from when I've checked, the dealer I asked was mistaken or the above analyisis is full of crap...anyone got anything to add on this?

*edit*

There is a registry in Washington for handguns. There's actually a separate form an FFL has to fill out called a "Pistol Registry Form" each time a handgun is sold by an FFL in Washington. A person could add their own pistol to the registry if they wanted. I have a co-worker who did just that; then again, he's a moron.

Thanks for clarifying this, Modeler. How long has this "Pistol Registry" been in practice?

This is also a misconception...the only people that are even authorized to keep a record of transactions in the State of WA is the Department of Licensing.

http://smartgunlaws.org/retention-of-sales-background-check-records-in-washington/

RCW 9.41.110
(9)(a) A true record in triplicate shall be made of every pistol sold, in a book kept for the purpose, the form of which may be prescribed by the director of licensing and shall be personally signed by the purchaser and by the person effecting the sale, each in the presence of the other, and shall contain the date of sale, the caliber, make, model and manufacturer's number of the weapon, the name, address, occupation, and place of birth of the purchaser and a statement signed by the purchaser that he or she is not ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

(b) One copy shall within six hours be sent by certified mail to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the purchaser is a resident; the duplicate the dealer shall within seven days send to the director of licensing; the triplicate the dealer shall retain for six years.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.110

Last Edited:
There is no firearms registration in Oregon or Washington.
Stop believing what you see on TV unless you are in the fascist states like NY or CA.

166.412 Definitions; firearms transaction record; criminal record check; rules
(2) Except as provided in subsections (3)(c) and (12) of this section, a gun dealer shall comply with the following before a handgun is delivered to a purchaser:
(a) The purchaser shall present to the dealer current identification meeting the requirements of subsection (4) of this section.
(b) The gun dealer shall complete the firearms transaction record and obtain the signature of the purchaser on the record.
(c) The gun dealer shall obtain the thumbprints of the purchaser on the firearms transaction thumbprint form and attach the form to the gun dealer's copy of the firearms transaction record to be filed with that copy.
(d) The gun dealer shall request by telephone that the department conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser and shall provide the following information to the department:
(A) The federal firearms license number of the gun dealer;
(B) The business name of the gun dealer;
(C) The place of transfer;
(D) The name of the person making the transfer;
(E) The make, model, caliber and manufacturer's number of the handgun being transferred;

<broken link removed>

I'm sorry, but why does OSP need the make, model, and serial of a new gun purchase? Do you honestly trust the OSP NOT to maintain a record of sale?

RCW 9.41.110
(9)(a) A true record in triplicate shall be made of every pistol sold, in a book kept for the purpose, the form of which may be prescribed by the director of licensing and shall be personally signed by the purchaser and by the person effecting the sale, each in the presence of the other, and shall contain the date of sale, the caliber, make, model and manufacturer's number of the weapon, the name, address, occupation, and place of birth of the purchaser and a statement signed by the purchaser that he or she is not ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a firearm.

(b) One copy shall within six hours be sent by certified mail to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the purchaser is a resident; the duplicate the dealer shall within seven days send to the director of licensing; the triplicate the dealer shall retain for six years.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.110

I had no idea of this....even had to re-read it a few times....where did you get the Washington State Patrol out of 9.41.110?

It's also to funny to think that I've got a file with my name on it in multiple counties.

I had no idea of this....even had to re-read it a few times....where did you get the Washington State Patrol out of 9.41.110?

It's also to funny to think that I've got a file with my name on it in multiple counties.
I apologize for misspeaking regarding WSP, but do you honestly think that the director of licensing or the local PD keep the information to themselves?

Man i was just asking LOL. But i couldn't really care less about registering it just wanted more info in it. Wife asked me due to YES the dam delay. Thought that maybe being more educated on a matter before i get super annoyed by the situation i would find out all i can. :cool:

What'd i tell you when you bought from me?;) No real need for it when doing private party transfer, again, just for the records to ensure you and I are both covered, you know, in the event you or someone decides to get squirelly with the gun. glad you're enjoying the purchase.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads