JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry into Regal all the time. All they can do is ask you to leave if caught. Just don't be an idiot and do something like open carry or have your gun seen to where you cause a panic. Also, make sure you have your CPL with you.

PP, you also mention this in your YT videos, but in your years of concealed carrying, have you ever been asked to leave? I mean, because of carrying, there might be a ton of other reasons. :)

"Unlawfully" does not include owners' personal preferences. If you have a CHL it is not automatically "unlawful" to be there. If asked to leave private property, for whatever reason, and you refuse you are then trespassing. Without a specific statute mentioning obeying signs about owner preferences on private property upon which the public is invited, it's not automatically "unlawful" to be there.

People really put up with being searched? There's no movie or concert that I want to see that badly.

I'm not sure if it's been posted yet but the theater does not have the right to search...

So if it is such a big deal for people to discriminate against race, religion, and sexual orientation then how is it not an act of discrimination to refuse service to a legal concealed permit holder? Furthermore; isn't it a violation of our 4th amendment (right to privacy) for a movie theater to search your personal belongings? Correct me if i am wrong here but doesn't state law supersede company policy?

So if it is such a big deal for people to discriminate against race, religion, and sexual orientation then how is it not an act of discrimination to refuse service to a legal concealed permit holder? Furthermore; isn't it a violation of our 4th amendment (right to privacy) for a movie theater to search your personal belongings? Correct me if i am wrong here but doesn't state law supersede company policy?

OK, you are confusing two entirely different things:
1) The 4th Amendment does not allow the GOVERNMENT to FORCE you to submit to a search (without a warrant).
2) The 4th Amendment is not applicable when a PRIVATE person or company ASKS you to submit to a search.

In the 1st case, you have the right to say "NO", and the government's response must be "OK" or "Here's the warrant, you must comply now.".
In the 2nd case, you can say "NO", and the private person's (company's) response must be "OK" or "Please leave".

In the 2nd case, the company does NOT have the right to search you. They can make your presence conditional to a search, but they can't search you without your permission.

OK, you are confusing two entirely different things:
1) The 4th Amendment does not allow the GOVERNMENT to FORCE you to submit to a search (without a warrant or probable cause).
2) The 4th Amendment is not applicable when a PRIVATE person or company ASKS you to submit to a search. (this is actually false, this is what protects you from being able to say "No" to any person that is not an LEO with probable cause/warrant to search).

In the 1st case, you have the right to say "NO", and the government's response must be "OK" or "Here's the warrant, you must comply now.".
In the 2nd case, you can say "NO", and the private person's (company's) response must be "OK" or "Please leave".

In the 2nd case, the company does NOT have the right to search you. They can make your presence conditional to a search, but they can't search you without your permission.

Close, but no cigar...

The entire discussion we are having is a tough and slippery slope. It is not a RIGHT to see a movie, or walk on someone else's private property. That is the real root of the situation here, these places are private property, the owners/mgmt have a right to control entry.(Beyond race, religion, ethnicity that are specifically protected from discrimination.) 2a is not written such that it has an anti discrimination clause in it. While the movie theater cannot take your weapon away, they can ask that you not bring it on their property and ask you to leave if you are found with it, same as any establishment.

The only way they have to "regulate" that at this time is for the searches which are voluntary. They are ASKING to search your bag, you do not have to comply, you can say no and see what happens. Chances are they will not sell you a ticket and may then ask you to leave since you are not a customer at that point and have no reason for being onsite. That is what makes it legal, they ask, they do not just grab your bag and do it, they ask and you CHOOSE to give up that right and let them look in the bag.

I for one will not be searched/wanded, I am not going into a place that forces me to bee a sitting duck, fenced in sheep. That is my choice as no movie is worth losing my life or giving up my right to protect myself and my family. (Doesn't hurt that I have 7.1 surround and a 60" at home to watch the bluray a few months later at home for 1/4 the price...)

Most people will allow the search either because they think the theater's in their right, or because they don't want to be sent away.

And the theater *CAN* deny entry if you refuse to submit to the search. It's their property, they can insist on a search to enter if they want. You don't have to submit to the search, but then they don't have to let you in.

(I refuse to allow the Fry's Electronics goons to search my bag when I leave, either. Haven't yet been banned. At worst, I've gotten a "Hey, HEY!" as I walk by then I glare at them, and they leave it alone.)

I am done with theaters that won't allow CHL folks inside. The only thing these corps care about are profits, so 'sneaking in' and still giving them $11 for a ticket and $20 for some garbage snack doesn't hurt them one bit.

Better to not give them a dime. Since 90% of the movies Hollywood puts out are pure garbage I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

A few days ago the wife and I went to the movies for the first time since the Aurora shooting. I bought tickets at the ticket machine outside the theatre, since the line was long. We went inside and I handed my tickets to the ticket guy and walked by him. My wife however didn't make it. I turned around just when she was telling the guy,"I don't think so", when he apparently asked to search her purse. He said unless she let him search her purse for guns then she would not be allowed to enter. So I had to go get a refund from th manager, who really didn't care either way about what I had to say on the issue.

The thing is I was wearing cargo shorts with really big cargo pockets. My pockets are actually bigger than the bite size purse she was carrying. I could have fit a 1911 with at least 10 mags between my two pockets. But they didn't ask to seach my pockets, nor would I have allowed it either. So my movie days are over.

No kidding - just stupid. If you wanted to sneaking in a pistol, or 5, it would be so simple.

That is why the whole thing is just the usual BS. Bad guy can get his gun in no problem; you/law abiding citizen respectful of the wishes of a private establishment cannot. Screw them.

At the Bite of Portland - which had no signs saying you couldn't carry - I noticed they were searching small bags/purses but I carried. Anything at the Waterfront needs CHL folks, that is for sure. If that were not the case why did I see the police walking in threes, Glocks, Armor, multiple mags at the ready (although the crowd was VERY mellow).

Unfortunately, there are times I must fly and deal with the crap. Movies, however, no. Done. If anyone knows of a CHL friendly theater I would go there though; make a point of supporting a business with some common sense.

A few days ago the wife and I went to the movies for the first time since the Aurora shooting. I bought tickets at the ticket machine outside the theatre, since the line was long. We went inside and I handed my tickets to the ticket guy and walked by him. My wife however didn't make it. I turned around just when she was telling the guy,"I don't think so", when he apparently asked to search her purse. He said unless she let him search her purse for guns then she would not be allowed to enter. So I had to go get a refund from th manager, who really didn't care either way about what I had to say on the issue.

The thing is I was wearing cargo shorts with really big cargo pockets. My pockets are actually bigger than the bite size purse she was carrying. I could have fit a 1911 with at least 10 mags between my two pockets. But they didn't ask to seach my pockets, nor would I have allowed it either. So my movie days are over.

Which theater was that so I know which one to avoid?

In a perfect World, Your Movie ticket stub number would be your entry into the Drawing for a free "Theatre Edition" Handgun to be drawn at the intermission of every movie. Also, Showing a CHL license is 20% off Ticket and Consession Stand purchase prices and VIP reserved seating by the exits....

All Evil needs to succeed is for Good Men to do Nothing

I was at the Stark St theater in Gresham this weekend. When asked to look in my purse, I kindly refused. From the ticket-taker, to the manager, to the regional manager, they all insisted that they are searching to keep people safe. I asked if their policy was posted and he said it was. They don't allow guns or knives. Surprised, I told him I carried my leatherman everywhere and it had a knife on it. "Oh, we don't care about pocket knives. We're looking for weapon-type knives. And we don't allow bombs either." (Yes, he actually told me they don't allow bombs!) He went on. "In light of what happened in Colorado, Homeland Security and local police have advised us to search purses and bags that come in the theater."

I reminded him that the theater in Aurora had the same policy on guns but it didn't seem to help there. Plus I'm pretty sure the shooter didn't sneak all of his guns into the theater in his purse. I then suggested that their searches were slightly discriminatory. Baggy pants, huge jackets, and blankets and coats carried under an arm weren't catching anyone's attention. I was a little irritated after 15 minutes of talking with the regional manager about the benefits of having people carry legally in their theater. "I understand you have a policy to follow, but it's a terrible policy. I think it's time to make a few waves and let people know what you're doing." He asked for my contact info saying that he would give my information and relate my thoughts to corporate headquarters, and perhaps I would like to begin a dialogue with them. I suggested he give me his information instead and I would call later this week to see if there was someone else I could chat with.

In the end, we got our money back and went somewhere else. Now, it's time to make some waves... where to start?

If anyone knows of a CHL friendly theater I would go there though; make a point of supporting a business with some common sense.

Try Cinetopia. As far as I know they have no policy banning guns. The wife and I went to see the most recent Batman movie a few days after the shooting in Colorado and we didn't see any bag checks being done. I know they cost more but they are a locally owned business and they have really nice theatres so I don't mind the extra cost.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top