JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Armed security means little if they are not

1) Standing right next to YOU as the shooting starts

2) Able to take down any and all comers

I don't believe I will trust my life or my lady's to those intangibles. We will pack major caliber handguns and I wish I could pack a 12 GA fighting shotgun as well. I would lean it in between our seats

Nobody forced them into that establishment. I think it is important to maintain high moral ground when talking about rights, freedom and such. We are not talking civil disobedience here, like Civil Rights movement, or Syrian revolution scenario. This is plain simple - we have to respect private property rights of others, because we expect that others will respect our right of private property as well.
My respect for their rights ends where they infringe upon my right to life, survival, and self defense. If anyone relies upon them to protect them, well... before they do, I have a bridge to sell them.

So I went to a Regal Theatre last night in Hillsboro, OR to watch Total Recall. I noted there were no "No Gun" signs on the doors. I carry either a compact Glock 19 or a fullsize Springfield XDM .45 depending on my mood. Last night I had the .45 carried in a Maxpedition Versapack: <broken link removed>

When my group, an active LEO, a corrections officer, and me (retired Navy) got to the usher, she asked if she could look in my bag. I opened up the large main compartment and showed her my Ipad, which I had specifically brought as cover. She said, "thanks" and let us through. I didn't open the back/side pockets that held the .45. and an extra magazine.

Enjoyed the movie without incident.

I may be mistaken but when I took my chl class I seem to remember being told that if I am carrying a concealed weapon on private property ( grocery store, movie theatre) and They have a sign posted prohibiting firearms on the premises and you are concerning your gun and go onto the property and for whatever reason they spot your concealed weapon they have to verbally ask you to leave before you are breaking the law, now if you say no or refuse then you can get in trouble but from my understanding you can't get in trouble until you are verbally asked to leave and if you do comply and leave then no harm is done. Has anybody heard or no anymore on this subject?

I may be mistaken but when I took my chl class I seem to remember being told that if I am carrying a concealed weapon on private property ( grocery store, movie theatre) and They have a sign posted prohibiting firearms on the premises and you are concerning your gun and go onto the property and for whatever reason they spot your concealed weapon they have to verbally ask you to leave before you are breaking the law, now if you say no or refuse then you can get in trouble but from my understanding you can't get in trouble until you are verbally asked to leave and if you do comply and leave then no harm is done. Has anybody heard or no anymore on this subject?

ORS § 164.265¹
Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
(2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]

"Unlawfully" does not include owners' personal preferences. If you have a CHL it is not automatically "unlawful" to be there. If asked to leave private property, for whatever reason, and you refuse you are then trespassing. Without a specific statute mentioning obeying signs about owner preferences on private property upon which the public is invited, it's not automatically "unlawful" to be there.

People really put up with being searched? There's no movie or concert that I want to see that badly.

"Unlawfully" does not include owners' personal preferences. If you have a CHL it is not automatically "unlawful" to be there. If asked to leave private property, for whatever reason, and you refuse you are then trespassing. Without a specific statute mentioning obeying signs about owner preferences on private property upon which the public is invited, it's not automatically "unlawful" to be there.

People really put up with being searched? There's no movie or concert that I want to see that badly.

Sheep do.

The theater can ask me to leave if they somehow determine that I'm carrying.

Or, I'll have to deal with this:
<broken link removed>

You might want to look up the Erik Scott shooting in Las Vegas.

Erik Scott's family files lawsuit against Costco in shooting death - Friday, June 8, 2012 | 4:30 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun News

Make sure to click on the link to the PDF Coroner's Inquest testimony of the guy who called the police and the transcript of the 911 call. The caller who reported Erik Scott as a man with gun at Costco (violating the store's policy on firearms) does a pretty good job of painting him as belligerent and threatening during the 911 call. Towards the end of the call he says that Erik Scott reached for and put his hand on his gun but at the Coroner's Inquest he told a different story.

My respect for their rights ends where they infringe upon my right to life, survival, and self defense. If anyone relies upon them to protect them, well... before they do, I have a bridge to sell them.

I agree, It is my personal opinion that businesses open to the general public should be required to allow a person carrying a weapon with or without a CHL to enter in or on the premises to conduct business. fdk15 likened the rights of the private property business owner to your own peoperty (home, I am assuming). I do not believe they are the same. My house is not a business open to the general public and does not have posted hours of operation. That being said, if a person causes problems while in a place of business, then they should be asked to leave.

Sheep do.

More like "sheep dip".

so that opinion is what makes the generalized bigotry ok?

Bigotry... That's a strong word to use against someone for merely using an analogy that in their opinion describes the behavior, attitude, and results (mass shootings for instance) of people "ACTING LIKE SHEEP BEING LED TO SLAUGHTER".

I'm curious, what term would YOU use to describe a person who would submit to whatever was placed before them w/o complaint that YOU would not consider "bigotry"?

Only the sheep who choose to be victims fallow that sign. Carry concealed and buy your own munchies from the store and sneak it in lol I love the rush of having a bottle water and some corn nuts in my cargo pockets as I walk past the guy checking my tickets.... makes me feel alive!

Bigotry... That's a strong word to use against someone for merely using an analogy that in their opinion describes the behavior, attitude, and results (mass shootings for instance) of people "ACTING LIKE SHEEP BEING LED TO SLAUGHTER".
Strong word, yes, but accurate nonetheless, especially if you look at the definitions. The term is used to shame, denigrate and divide, it's a tactic of bigotry, and its sad when people show who they are by falling into that cycle.

What would I call them? I don't know, I don't spend my time thinking up bigoted terms. I would definitely agree though that they need education, and to be shown that they don't have to follow another to slaughter, or accept that they aren't in charge of themselves.

If I really had to come up with a term for what the ones in this country are, I'd say... Americans. Countrymen. Although I still reserve the right to call them bubblegums.

Only the sheep who choose to be victims fallow that sign. Carry concealed and buy your own munchies from the store and sneak it in lol I love the rush of having a bottle water and some corn nuts in my cargo pockets as I walk past the guy checking my tickets.... makes me feel alive!

We bring fresh ground hot coffee in with a small stainless thermos. After a movie one nerd usher had noticed it, leaned behind our seats and said

Nice metal container

I turned and grinned at him and said

What are you going to do about it, little man? The movie is over and we are leaving

That shut him up

Strong word, yes, but accurate nonetheless, especially if you look at the definitions. The term is used to shame, denigrate and divide, it's a tactic of bigotry, and its sad when people show who they are by falling into that cycle.

What would I call them? I don't know, I don't spend my time thinking up bigoted terms. I would definitely agree though that they need education, and to be shown that they don't have to follow another to slaughter, or accept that they aren't in charge of themselves.

If I really had to come up with a term for what the ones in this country are, I'd say... Americans. Countrymen. Although I still reserve the right to call them bubblegums.

Bigot is like "racist" or "homophobe" it is ad hominem attack, intended to intimidate the victim into silence

It does not work on me. One man's "bigot" is another man's guru

I've never seen that sign, and I fully intend to continue not to notice it. In the extreme unlikelyhood someone ever noticed my IWB concealed P238 and asked me to leave- I'd simply leave- I'm certainly not going to get a trespassing charge over it. And then I would never return (I rarely go anymore anyway). Until I'm approached and asked to leave, I'm content to remain "ignorant" of their absurd policy. I know I'm not allowed by university "rules" to carry my pistol on the grounds of Oregon State anymore- however I will still have my pistol with me to be locked in my truck when I head to the stadium for the game. I'd carry my pistol in, but I don't know a way around the metal detector unless I can find one of the magic ceramic Glocks from Die Hard 2...

Went to theatre in sandy last night. Not a wif of sec turity. Told the wife in advance that we were leaving if any question. Bourne movie pretty good. Was a Bit worried cause daughter has pink hair .

I think the fact that low-level Regal employees are very casually searching bags might say something. They know that some percentage of the folks attending a movie will be anti-gun, and these morons will be tickled pink that attempts are being made to keep guns out. On the other hand, they know that some percentage of the folks attending a movie will be pro-gun, and a smaller percentage will actually be carrying concealed, and so they are doing the absolute minimum of searching (search theatre I'd call it) so as to not actually discover most concealed firearms except those fully exposed in bags and purses. And no-one has actually said what happens if they actually discover a firearm. Perhaps they take the person to a more private location, then actually allow them in after checking they have a valid CHL. But all this 'search theater' gives the anti-gun sheeple the warm-fuzzy that Regal cares about 'safety'.
I may be off-base here, but given the level of 'searching', this may be what it's all about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top