JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Scanned the parking lot, observed private security guy.
Got into car, practiced situational awareness all the way home
Cleared gun, put in nightstand, went to bed.

Curious, why clear the weapon before putting it in the nightstand? I double check mine to be sh itsure it's loaded with one in the pipe.

Oh, I too get nervous anytime someone wants to check by bag, personal hygiene you understand .

I'd love to see someone come in with a weapon clearly visible in the open purse. I wonder what they'd do? Call the cops? Alert their squad of pimply-faced 16-year old ticket takers to pile on and take her down?

I probably wouldn't make a huge deal about it, otherwise, they will concede it's sexist and then hire security staff to do a full pat-down on everyone.
If you have a weapon permit and they cannot state company policy that firearms are not allowed, you are within your rights.

If you have a weapon permit and they cannot state company policy that firearms are not allowed, you are within your rights.
Sure you are.

However, it's private property. They can and will ask you to leave.

They are within their rights.

You and I don't have to like it. We don't have to patronize their business. But they are within their rights.

@Kid@Heart is correct. You have your constitutional right to bear arms, but people also have a constitutional right to their private property and what people may do on their property. It's the same thing as your home - you can choose who can and can't be there and what they can do on your property. A business has similar rights. While it's not illegal for you to have a gun on their property, they can have you removed from the property and charged with trespass.

As an example of being aware, we learned from some friends that just about a week ago, 2 apparently Muslim men showed up at a local private Christian school in Oregon City where their kids are enrolled. The men asked, in apparently very broken English, to be shown around the campus. Unlike most visitors, they didn't have wives or children with them, just the two men. A grandfather there to drop off his grandchildren happens to speak Farsi. He worked to shuttle them back to the parking lot and asked them, in their native language, why two Muslims would be interested in a Christian school. They could not answer him. He pressed for more answers and they became more and more uncomfortable. In the meantime, another parent was taking down license plate number, description, etc. The men left without incident.

The police, and later the FBI, were informed and became involved. These men had been found at at least 6 other schools in the area, same MO. Apparently the LE's have identified them and have informed the school that they are now on a watch list.

Vigilance. Suspicion. Watching for folks that are out of place or acting odd, then acting yourself. Perhaps these men really want to enroll their Muslim children in a Christian school. Maybe not. But considering the state of the world we live in now, being a little more cautious just may help save lives. Some folks will no doubt call this profiling, and perhaps they're right. But getting past profiling will be much easier than dealing with the aftermath of a terrorist attack.
Just out of curiosity...how was it determined that they were Muslims?

If they spoke Farsi (which is a different language than Arabic) then they were probably Iranians, who are of a completely different ethnic group and faith than the Arabs who were behind the 9-11 attacks and other acts of terrorism.

Just out of curiosity...how was it determined that they were Muslims?

If they spoke Farsi (which is a different language than Arabic) then they were probably Iranians, who are of a completely different ethnic group and faith than the Arabs who were behind the 9-11 attacks and other acts of terrorism.

Good question. Part of the conversation with them he asked if they were Muslim and if they knew this was a Christian school. They themselves confirmed that they were Muslim - not something you can assume based solely on appearance/dress.

Whoever they were, if the FBI was brought in, I can only assume they had reason to believe this was something more than an innocent visit to a school.

Curious, why clear the weapon before putting it in the nightstand? I double check mine to be sh itsure it's loaded with one in the pipe.
Oh, I too get nervous anytime someone wants to check by bag, personal hygiene you understand .
Hi Reggie
I carry with mag loaded, empty chamber (condition 3) always.
I verify the the chamber is empty before the gun leaves my person, even by my bedside.
Condition 3 because my autistic grandson grabbed my gun.
Condition 3 because our 3 canines who can see, hear, and smell way better than me
Condition 3 because I survey the scene, looking for bad stuff before it gets too close
I ascribe to Wyatt Earp's thinking that in a gunfight, the first bullet hit usually wins
Draw smooth, rack slide, sight alignment sight picture, squeeze
If I must hurry, I fail awareness school

Folks, it's our CC first duty to retreat from mortal danger
Failing that, draw and fire.
Be certain of what we do, because others will wash, spin, and tumble dry our every moment.

Reading list
Are you too stupid for Concealed Carry? by Dan Zimmerman
Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws by OFF Kevin Starrett at amazon
Seven things you must know before you leave your house with your gun by USCCA and at amazon
In the Gravest Extreme by Massad F. Ayoob at amazon

Wondering if Regal is going to be like the TSA and feel your crotch before you enter the theater. It would depend on the movie if I want that done or not plus on which gender is doing the check.:s0140::s0093:

Hi Reggie
I verify the the chamber is empty before the gun leaves my person, even by my bedside.
Condition 3 because our 3 canines who can see, hear, and smell way better than me
Condition 3 because I survey the scene, looking for bad stuff before it gets too close
I ascribe to Wyatt Earp's thinking that in a gunfight, the first bullet hit usually wins

Be certain of what we do, because others will wash, spin, and tumble dry our every moment.

Reading list
Seven things you must know before you leave your house with your gun by USCCA and at amazon

I can understand that in your circumstance but in my house the rule is "the gun IS loaded", "NO, the Saftey is not on" and "Yes, it's safe as long as you dont stick your booker hooker in the trigger guard".

Recolvers are generally loaded with on in the chamber and I can't recall any with a safety on them.

Keeping a chambered simi-auto eleminates a ton of variables that can go wrong when racking the slide.

Just my .02

After reading this topic for awhile, I thought someone could and may turn this on Cinema.
The difference in other agencies that search are often they are government related and in such good luck suing any wrong doing. Now in the case of this being a private business that does not escape liability if the touch you in the wrong place, or if they damage something of yours say they take your purse and the strap brakes, liable, say they take your purse and spill the perfume in it. Say a women claims when they reach for the purse they brushed her breast. Before someone laughs this off just remember once you take possession of another persons items and money is involved great care must be exercised.
One can see the drama unfold pretty easy once private businesses start searching you. I say take the wife out for an evening then sue them for wrongful touching and take the money and go buy more guns at the cinemas expense.

Hi Reggie

Reading list

An unloaded gun is just a poor club.

@Kid@Heart is correct. You have your constitutional right to bear arms, but people also have a constitutional right to their private property and what people may do on their property. It's the same thing as your home - you can choose who can and can't be there and what they can do on your property. A business has similar rights. While it's not illegal for you to have a gun on their property, they can have you removed from the property and charged with trespass.

Yeah, I get that... just meant she was within her rights to have the concealed carry. Would suggest she conceal it on person next time then transfer to the purse -- they don't check going out :).

Irony is that the movie was very likely one of the many that glorify the use of firearms and mayhem, and discharge like 72,000 rounds in the 100 minutes of show :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I get that... just meant she was within her rights to have the concealed carry. Would suggest she conceal it on person next time then transfer to the purse -- they don't check going out :).

Irony is that the movie was very likely one of the many that glorify the use of firearms and mayhem, and discharge like 72,000 rounds in the 100 minutes of show :rolleyes:.

I'm not a fan of those carry purses anyway. On your person is much safer for you, and for say kids around you. But honestly, if she had an actual concealed carry purse, with a concealed pouch, they likely wouldn't even find it. Sounds like all they're doing is looking inside.

Redcap
Walk in my shoes for a minute...
An autistic child lives in my home with me.
How would you handle this?
Preventing a child...particularly one with special needs....from being able to access a weapon with a chambered round overrides all other considerations, and if that means carrying in Condition 3 then so be it.

That being said, there are some other options that might be considered, such as having quick-access keypad safes located in strategic areas around your home. I have one on my bedside table that I got 10 years ago at Harbor Freight for $45 and it works just fine to keep a single handgun secured yet within easy and immediate reach. Type in 4 numbers and the door beeps and pops open. You could safely store a pistol with a chambered round in one of those and there is no way a child could get to it without knowing the code. A holster with some sort of retention system could also allow you to carry without fear of him grabbing it. In the end, however, you must do what works for you to keep yourself and your family safe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top