Refurbing wood grips....

Mikej

Reactions
I stumbled on a set of S&W N frame wood grips, for $10.00! Pretty good shape too, the checkering is very sharp.. There's just one little chunk of wood out on the bottom of one side. The lacquer is a little spotty so I'd like to remove that and give them some kind of oil or wax finish rather than the shiny clear finish. So, not having any experience in wood finishing what would be the recommended procedure? Sand paper grit, do's, don'ts?

Thanks in advance

I realize I could have gone on line and found myriad info, but things have been a little slow on the the boards so.....

Certaindeaf

Reactions
Yea, don't use sandpaper.. especially on/around the checkering. use lacquer thinner and a toothbrush on the checkering and a small rag and the thinner on the rest.
I'd think tung oil would be good to follow up but it will certainly darken it.. on further thought.. don't use tung oil. probably a touch of light natural wax

joken

Reactions
What jbett98 said and this. Thin some Tru-Oil about 50-50 with mineral spirits and slobber it all over the grips until they won't absorb any more. Wipe it all off good and make sure the checkering doesn't have any residual finish. You can now rub the straight finish into the grips, but not into the checkering. When you think you are done, you might want one more coat on the checkering, but you don't want it shiney. Don't put wax in the checkering, it's hard to get it out and can look like crap

OP
Mikej

Mikej

Reactions
Good, good. Just looking for something natural, and don't want to darken the wood if I can help it.

When I look at a fine S&W handgun, with factory wood grips, well, it turns me on.....Sorta'
Oohhh!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
Top Bottom