Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Refurbing wood grips....

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Mikej, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I stumbled on a set of S&W N frame wood grips, for $10.00! Pretty good shape too, the checkering is very sharp.. There's just one little chunk of wood out on the bottom of one side. The lacquer is a little spotty so I'd like to remove that and give them some kind of oil or wax finish rather than the shiny clear finish. So, not having any experience in wood finishing what would be the recommended procedure? Sand paper grit, do's, don'ts?

Thanks in advance

I realize I could have gone on line and found myriad info, but things have been a little slow on the the boards so.....

2. Bigbaddude

Bigbaddude West linn Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Use wood stripper and don't use sand paper on the checkering. That should get you going have fun.

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea, don't use sandpaper.. especially on/around the checkering. use lacquer thinner and a toothbrush on the checkering and a small rag and the thinner on the rest.
    I'd think tung oil would be good to follow up but it will certainly darken it.. on further thought.. don't use tung oil. probably a touch of light natural wax

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like the citrus based paint/varnish remover. Love the smell and it cleans up easily.
    I use Tru-Oil by Birchwood Casey for the finish.

Certaindeaf and willseeker like this.
  5. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What jbett98 said and this. Thin some Tru-Oil about 50-50 with mineral spirits and slobber it all over the grips until they won't absorb any more. Wipe it all off good and make sure the checkering doesn't have any residual finish. You can now rub the straight finish into the grips, but not into the checkering. When you think you are done, you might want one more coat on the checkering, but you don't want it shiney. Don't put wax in the checkering, it's hard to get it out and can look like crap

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Good, good. Just looking for something natural, and don't want to darken the wood if I can help it.

When I look at a fine S&W handgun, with factory wood grips, well, it turns me on.....Sorta'
    Oohhh!

7. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

So you get wood for wood, LOL