JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That seems like you are a crack shot!! I never was able to hit anything that was running, so I stopped trying. I have friends that can do a neck or head shot on running elk with a .338WM, but not me. I'm surprised since I was a very good bird hunter with both 12ga and 20ga.... I think a wingshot with a .410 would have stumped me tho.
Ha! I grew up hunting quail and can pretty well hit moving targets, but I don't do that typically on big game. That antelope was kind enough to pause briefly and gave me a broadside shot!

BTW, I was curious about the .220Swift for hunting, being ignorant of such usage, so I "DuckDuckGo'ed" it. Lots of stories about use on midsize game such as Whitetail in TX and hogs too. It has a long history of hunting game that surprised me.... I thought of it as a varmint cartridge.
Ya...I had a buddy in college that swore by the Swift. He grew up hunting with one and took several Mule Deer with it. I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough with it for that. A light bullet is only so forgiving if your shot placement isn't ideal. But antelope are small and thin skinned. I don't believe they're nearly as durable as a Mule Deer.

Last Edited:
Ha! I grew up hunting quail and can pretty well hit moving targets, but I don't do that typically on big game. That antelope was kind enough to pause briefly and gave me a broadside shot!
My first game birds were Mourning Dove (pass shooting with long 12ga) at Calexico, and Valley Quail over pointing dogs around the Salton Sea with a 20ga O/U (after duck hunting over decoys at the preserve in the morning)... shots came fast when those coveys busted! If you didn't pick out a bird and followed the urge to flock shoot, mostly you didn't score. Just when you thought you had a single in a bush, a flock would bust out. lol

A 7 cubic ft. chest freezer will hold four good size, quartered speed goats. You will need a generator that will be able to handle the start circuit on the freezer. We put the freezer in the truck, put the canopy on over it, and have the generator on a rack that goes into the receiver. The canopy is a fairly tall one, as a cab height one will not allow you to open the freezer door.

On our antelope hunting trips to Wyoming where we are frequently harvesting 15 - 20 or more antelope we haul our gear and stay inside a pair of enclosed trailers. Inside each trailer is a large chest freezers that we put skinned and quartered antelope into. We stay in an RV campground which is usually empty in late September except for oil field workers. When we first arrive we plug the freezers into shore power. When we pack up and leave we have a small little Honda EU2000 generate mounted to the front of each trailer between the trailer frame rails and run them the whole way home topping the tanks off when we fill up the tanks. Works like a charm and the chest freezers are cheap whether you buy a new one or pick one up off craigslist.

Thanks for the tips all! We ended up renting a 4x7 Uhaul utility trailer and bought two 7 cubic foot chest freezers as well as a generator. We bought controllers and built internal freezer frames so that we could use the freezers as coolers and hang the quarters. Worked like a charm! But...a quartered buck antelope was about all that fits in a 7cu ft freezer when hung that way. For a trip somewhere with multiple critters or larger game, we'd need a different setup.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top