JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My fridge water supply line ruptured today, and halted things. WIRSBO, PEX, and SharkBite, (to my knowledge) are the best there is. Finding something in the big box stores was no such luck. I can go without ice and water to the fridge, no big thing. So I got on the www in search of any of the three mentioned above. I prefer Wirsbo, but do not have the tools to work it. SharkBite was my next choice, but it's not available in 1/4" I.D., and fittings are hard to source. So I decided on PEX (aka Sharkbite). I found a kit on Amazon. There was just one review, but I decided to try it in kit form. I'll just replace everything from where it currently taps into the cold water line now and should be GTG.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this PEX Kit, and their thoughts. https://www.amazon.com/PEX-Water-Supply-Kit-Valve/dp/B000DZKSU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477607114&sr=8-1&keywords=1/4+inch+pex+water+supply+kit

That looks like a standard saddle valve with compression fittings. Look at the compression nuts, everything looks normal to me. No reason it shouldn't work. If the saddle valve is still holding, I wouldn't mess with it except for maybe pulling the packing nut down a 1/2 turn or so. You can get tubing, nuts and compressing fittings at any hardware store and won't need to wait for shipping.

I also recommend the copper line. All you need is a small tubing cutter and make sure you make a big loop of tubing behind the fridge so you can easily pull the fridge away from the wall without crimping the copper line.

Ok, so I know this is overkill, but once a long time ago, long before I was an engineer, I was a plumber... I ran a soldered 1/2" type M copper line up behind the refrigerator with a 1/2" FIP threaded ball valve. Then I ran soft drawn 1/4" copper from a compression adapter in the valve to the fridge... easy peazy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top