JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a couple of days with the sanding blocks..............

upload_2018-8-15_19-52-24.png
upload_2018-8-15_19-52-51.png
upload_2018-8-15_19-53-20.png

Then a few coats of good ol'fashioned gunstock oil -

upload_2018-8-15_19-54-32.png

Nice, eh?

BTW, the table top you see in the first three images is one of twelve I'm refinishing...I'm half way through the 13th now............

They start off like this -

upload_2018-8-15_19-57-57.png

Then, after deal of work, they look like this.....

upload_2018-8-15_19-58-37.png

Very satisfying, even though nobody has yet noticed.....:cool:

tac

Last Edited:
Good job Tac!
But i have a question... You are in the UK right? So this is for a non-functioning firearm?
James

Nooooooooooooooo. I have seventeen rifles and two handguns, all of them live and kicking, thanks. Why would anybody 'non-function-ate' a 22cal target rifle with a thousand dollar scope on it?

upload_2018-8-16_10-33-30.png
and with the Al Freeland sight set-up..
upload_2018-8-16_10-36-28.png
..and this @50m...five shots...
upload_2018-8-16_10-38-27.png

Got lots more - I'm betabed you haven't noticed!

tac

A few folks here know that I totally refinished the stock of a 1963-built Anschutz Model 1409...THAT baby took a while 'cos it has a lot of sharp-edged curvations, holes and a spiffy shoulder-y do-dad thing.

Since you have shown interest, here is it is..........

upload_2018-8-16_10-44-22.png
upload_2018-8-16_10-45-0.png
upload_2018-8-16_10-45-39.png

It was also liberally covered with fine rust, but I got that off using a Birchwood-Casey lead-removing cloth or three.

tac

They only made about 7,600 model 65 Winchesters. Only about 18% of those were in 25-20.
Good thing we met. I'm afraid anybody else would have just ordered replacement wood for this old gal. What a shame that would have been.

Not done yet but this is about how she will look.

Last Edited:
@tac and @Medic - beautiful !
Thanks for the primer on rust removal, I have some Posness-Warren equipment that needs a good effort at rust-removal, and I do not like using steel wool on any finished surfaces.
For rust staining, I have used "Barkeep's Friend", applied with cheesecloth -- no idea what it might do to blueing.

Fred Meyer has Copper Wool in their cleaning products aisle for ~$3 a pack. (At least they used to, last bought some c. 2012) I would use it to restore brass (when lightly applied) and chrome plated brass fixtures.
They also have true stainless steel wool.
When I go shopping for it, I bring a magnet, as both the copper wool and SS wool are non-magnetic. The SS Wool is great for scouring cast iron pans without soap - won't remove the seasoning but will definitely help remove crud you've burned onto the pan when it wasn't seasoned well enough. Lasts for years and doesn't rust up.

@Medic, do you thin your BLO at all? Do you apply it in thin coats by wiping on, or heavier coats (brush or rag) and wipe off after letting it set?

OK, here's the skinny on cleaning up VERY MINOR rust - like the powdery rusty coating that often happens on a gun left to dry. This worked 100% on the old Anschutz I posted up the top of the page here that had been left untended in a gun-safe for over 25 years. It had a coating that looked like it had been sprayed with cocoa powder.

THIS will work just fine -
medscaleBC31002_01.jpg
But so will this -

s-l640.jpg

Here in yUK we get Kleeneeze products - their 'Miracle cloth' is twice the size of the B-C cloth and half the cost.

Try it VERY gingerly on a part that is not important - very gently using the tip of the finger to rotate a small piece of the cloth until the rust has gone and you are down to the blueing.

Then stop.

I used three of them on the Anschutz - YMMD.

upload_2018-8-21_17-24-57.png

tac

@tac and @Medic - beautiful !
Thanks for the primer on rust removal, I have some Posness-Warren equipment that needs a good effort at rust-removal, and I do not like using steel wool on any finished surfaces.
For rust staining, I have used "Barkeep's Friend", applied with cheesecloth -- no idea what it might do to blueing.

Fred Meyer has Copper Wool in their cleaning products aisle for ~$3 a pack. (At least they used to, last bought some c. 2012) I would use it to restore brass (when lightly applied) and chrome plated brass fixtures.
They also have true stainless steel wool.
When I go shopping for it, I bring a magnet, as both the copper wool and SS wool are non-magnetic. The SS Wool is great for scouring cast iron pans without soap - won't remove the seasoning but will definitely help remove crud you've burned onto the pan when it wasn't seasoned well enough. Lasts for years and doesn't rust up.

@Medic, do you thin your BLO at all? Do you apply it in thin coats by wiping on, or heavier coats (brush or rag) and wipe off after letting it set?

Straight BLO.
Wipe on and let sit for 30 minutes to a couple hours. Then wipe off and let dry for a day or two.
Then repeat the process until you have the look you want.
[Usually 6-10 coats?]
Go to thick or fast and you just get a sticky mess. So just take your time.

As to rust? The Big 45 frontier metal cleaners work best for me.
They work fast. Since you don't need to be gentle. A barrel can be done in a couple of minutes. The whole lever action only took 30 minutes or so.

And that leaves me with more time to work on some really sickly Wood Stocks. :s0112:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads