JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was my first attempt at refinishing a gun stock. The finish as I had received it was too orange for my liking. It also had a lot of spots where the stain had set to long. I did not want to get rid of all of the character of the gun, but I did want to change it up a bit and bring out some of the wood grain. Overall I am pretty happy with the results. I regrettably did not take "before pictures".

unnamed_zpskpdgxaxk.jpg unnamed%201_zpsd3truiff.jpg unnamed%202_zpsrkjlnxbo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had 5 mosins in the past,and this is the best shooting one I have had to date. No sticky bolt, sights are dead on, and the bore is has a good amount of rifling left with no counter bore.

The stain is minwax dark oak, and finished with tru-oil. 1944 Tula gun; a keeper.

Very nice - well done!
I haven't shot a Mosin since 2007. It looks like it has a very long LOP - does it?
(edit)
I have known guys who will pull out light meters to measure the color value & check the stain levels on fine furniture they're building. On this, I think you did well with your application.

Very nice - well done!
I haven't shot a Mosin since 2007. It looks like it has a very long LOP - does it?
(edit)
I have known guys who will pull out light meters to measure the color value & check the stain levels on fine furniture they're building. On this, I think you did well with your application.

No, the LOP on mosins is notoriously short. A lot of guys will put on a butt pad just to lengthen the LOP. There is some kick, but I find it to be a pleasant gun to shoot.

That looks great, very nice work.

I have given up on using stain to refinish wood for projects like this - the results are really too inconsistent for my liking. I've done it, but found that finishing wood with simply oil-type products only, such as Tru Oil, BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil), Tung Oil, Lemon Oil, etc. They just seem to give much more consistent results. There is also an old finish recipe that combines equal parts beeswax, tung oil and mineral spirits. You work it in and it both finishes and seals the wood. I understand it's an old trick used by some military folks for their old gun stocks, I guess some even used it in the field to protect their rifles. I haven't tried that recipe myself on a gun stock yet, but have done it on some other wood, and it seems to be very promising.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top