Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Refinished Marlin Model 60 Stock - for your review

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by etrain16, Jul 13, 2013.

1. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hey folks, I recently completed a refinish project on a Marlin Model 60 stock. This was my brother's rifle. We both got one as gifts in 1983, and now I have both of them. His wasn't really well cared for when he gave it to me. It had some minor areas of rust on the barrel (very small spots) and it hadn't been cleaned since the last time it was shot (no idea how long that was). I broke it completely down and did a thorough cleaning inside and out, which brought it back to pretty darn good condition for a 30 year old rifle. The stock was in worse shape, though. A lot of scratches and dings from years of being moved around, tossed into a closet, etc. So, I thought I'd try my hand at refinishing the stock, I figured if I messed it up I'd be no worse for wear and I could always get a replacement.

Anyway, I just completed this, which I worked on over the course of a month. I think it turned out pretty nice for a guy who's never done this before. Thanks to some good YouTube videos on stock refinishing, I went in armed with some good advice. Overall, I'm really pleased with the results. I wanted something lighter than the original, which is what I got. There are some really dark areas on the stock, but I think that's just the wood itself, different areas of density, etc., since I only applied one even coat of stain to the stock.

Here are a few photos for you to check out. I'd love to hear your feedback, comments, suggestions, even (kind) corrections if you see something I did wrong. I'm including my original Model 60 so you can see the change in finish - they both used to look identical. Click on the photos below for a bigger view.

IMG_0050a.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Very nice. I like the lighter colour. What was your choice of finish?

3. etrain16

Thank you. For the stain, I used Minwax Puritan Pine. I originally started to coat it with a semi-gloss finish, but it just wasn't looking right to me, so I eventually went with a full gloss finish, which really made a difference. I should also mention I used a product called Citristrip for removing the original finish - it worked great and is non-petroleum so you can use it indoors - it even smells good.

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looks real nice! I agree about lighter shade. I killed a lot of ground squirrels in my younger days with my model 60!

5. idaho270

idaho270 astoria oregon New Member

etrain16
    Great job on the stock refinish!!
    I have some questions.
    where did you find the citristrip?? Is it available at hardware stores like HD??
    Did you spend a lot of time sanding down the stock??
    still awesome job.
    I have an older Marlin 989 M1 that i think can be a candidate for a stock refinish. It goes to show you that with a little effort an older gun can come out looking as good or even better than a new one

6. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Looks really nice. I have a spare 10/22 birch stock I am contemplating going lighter or darker with? Anyway looks great.

7. etrain16

I bought the Citristrip at Freddy's, but I've also seen it at Home Depot - you can find it with the regular stripping products. As for sanding, no, I didn't do much at all. After I was done stripping it (some areas I reapplied the stripping compound 2-3 times to make sure the previous finish was gone), I washed it down with a post-strip wash/pre-prep cleaner. After that dried, I gave it a good once-over with some 220 grit sandpaper. I only wanted to sand it smooth, not really dig deep into the wood. There were some deeper gouges which I could have tried to steam out, but I didn't want to do that particular step. After the stain, I lightly sanded with 220 grit, then started applying the spray varnish. I did lightly sand every 2nd or 3rd coat of varnish to keep it all as smooth as possible. Overall, it wasn't a really difficult project, I just had to be patient, especially waiting for the varnish to dry between coats.

I would highly recommend giving it a try yourself. I was really pleased with the end results, and I honestly think it looks better than the original stock.

Thanks

8. etrain16

It's a fun project. I would recommend checking out some re-finishing videos on YouTube for some pointers if it's your first time.

Thanks for the compliment.

9. Lindy

Lindy Central Ca. Member

Nice work etrain, Good looking stock, and I thank You for motivating Me to attempt the refinish of an old Marlin mod.989G that looks almost the same as Your model 60 except mine has a bottom loading magazine instead of a tubular magazine.

Good Shooting

Lindy

10. etrain16

It's something I'm planning to try again. I've got my eyes on a really beat up Mosin Nagant stock that could really use some help. Thanks for the compliment.

11. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

No "before" pics?? :huh:

12. etrain16

The original post only allowed 5 photos, and I really wanted to show the 'after'. Nevertheless, since you asked, while I didn't document it well, here are some before pics:

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  13. Knarf

Knarf OR Member

Hey, that looks pretty dang good! I like the idea of a lighter finish on one versus the other. My Model 60 was a lot of fun and it still kicking today. I might have even received it the same year you received yours, but I think it was a year later!

The timing of your thread is great because I am going to refinish my Winchester Model 70 and decided to do a search for what people have used to do the striping! So thanks for posting!

Regards,

-Knarf

14. etrain16

Thanks! It's a fun project, well worth the time. You'll have to post your results when you're done! The Citristrip product works well, just don't let it dry completely on the stock - you'll still get it off, but much more work. I allowed it to sit on the stock for several hours up to 8 hours before I started removing the finish. When you're done stripping the stock, be sure to clean the wood of all stripping residue - I used KleenStrip After Wash (Home Depot), then I sanded and got to staining. Good luck.

15. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

Nice job!, I did the same thing on a rifle for my buddies wife. He had 2 model 60s, one had a cracked receiver and the other had a few missing parts. Tore them both down and made a frankengun, turned out very nice! I actually ended up painting all the metal pieces gloss black but did a very similar finish to the stock.

16. etrain16

Thank you! Do you have any photos of your 'creation'? Sounds like it was very nice itself.

17. TwinStick

TwinStick In the wind Active Member

Looks great!

I've used Citristrip on a couple stocks I've refinished. I also use Minwax stains mostly. It helps to rub the Citristrip around with rubber gloves on and let it sit like that for a few minutes before rubbing it off with a rag...just for future users.

18. etrain16

Good to know, thanks for the info!