JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wrote to Representative Fred Finn about the illegalities of reducing noise at a rifle range. Finn wrote to others for advice and got some. I got a reply back that said in part;

It is a gross misdemeanor offense in Washington for a person to use "any device or contrivance for suppressing the noise of any firearm." RCW 9.41.250. This prohibition on the use of a noise suppressor on a firearm has been on the books for a long time -- at least since the early 1900’s and maybe longer. I did a search of case law for interpretations of this section to see if there is any guidance as to what "device or contrivance for suppressing the noise of a firearm" means. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any court decisions in Washington that have interpreted this language. In addition, because the provision is so old, I have not been able to find any legislative history to shed light on what the legislative intent was regarding this particular statute.

They also mentioned that the Feds might have some kind of prohibition on non-portable suppressors. I have never heard of any such thing, but Federal law is vague when it comes to defining what a silencer is other than something that reduces the noise of a firearm. Finn wants me to write to the ATF and get their position on the matter before he meets with me.

He gave me the following address;

Seattle Field Division
915 2nd Avenue, Room 790
Seattle, Washington 98174

I have written here in the past;

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
Firearms Technology Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA

Ranb

putting foam insulation on the walls of an indoor range is a "gross misdemeanor," apparently.

good work.. keep it up

when you're done with suppressors and SBRs, try to get the retaaaarded knife laws loosened up, por favor. i'm on my way to washington for a training event, and i not only had to build a new M4 to comply with the laws, but i just realized my knife is verboten as well..

i'm gonna be 100% unarmed until i get to the facility.

Since noise is a local issue (WA gun owners in this case), it would be a good idea to contact your county commissioners to get their opinion on the matter and see if they are willing to support changing the law. This support has to be more tangible than telling you that they support the use of devices that reduce noise. They need to write letters to the state legislature telling them of the problems with the noise and ways to eliminate it other than prohibiting the use of firearms.

Ranb

That's just nuts Randy. :huh:

It does make me think that HB1604 should perhaps be deleted to just remove any reference to suppressors from the RCW rather than just making them 'legally possessed' by fed law. The 'any device' is too broad.

Otherwise any range with berms, airlocks or sound insulation is technically breaking the law, and those aren't licensed under fed law as you have pointed out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top