JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read about IMR Trail Boss in Handloader Magazine. This evening I tried it out with a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage. I could not believe it! I first shot a few factory rounds, then did the recommended formula and shot 5 rounds of 9gr., 10gr. and 11gr. The recoil just like IMR said it would be, about half or just above .223. I know the Cowboy shooters use it all the time, I haven't heard a lot of talk about it on this site. It certainly would seem to have many uses in testing, training and shoulder preservation. Has anybody had any bad experiences with it. Thanks

I have used it for reduced loads in 44 mag, 357 and 30-30. It seems to shoot very clean. Very easy to use, ALMOST foolproof. Although I am sure that someone will find a way to do it.

Last Edited:
I thought this was more for the big capacity cases like 45-70.
Never thought of it AS LIGHT pistol load powder!

Ken.

Funny, I thought it was for light pistol loads and not for big cases. Then I read an article about it. I really like the stuff. I have used light loads of regular powder and had a lot of unburnt powder jam stuff up.

I like it for the reduced recoil and velocities. For 30-30 and 45-70, I use it to shoot non-gas checked lead bullets. With the cheap bullets and low recoil I can shoot all day without bruising my shoulder and wallet.

I've used Trailboss for .45 Colt and .44 Magnum. The advantage to it is the bulkiness so you can easily see the powder in the case. For my normal loads a double charge would not allow the bullet to be seated.

Overloading is still possible. For example, high pressure .44 Magnum loads do not completely fill the case so the same powder load could easily also fit in a .45 Colt case and ruin your gun as they would be way overpressure for the lesser framed pistol.

Also, I've read claims that the residue may create sulfuric acid under certain conditions and corrode your gun.

It's a good powder, but don't fill the cases with it like blackpowder or you will likely blow up your gun, and clean or keep a close eye on your gun for corrosion after you use it.

I'm not a huge fan of trailboss. But Hodgdon does publish some "subsonic" loads for .308, since .300 sav is fairly close (not exact, but close enough for this topic) you may be able to use 8gr of Hodgdon Clays. This was listed for a 168gr load, but I regularly load it in .308win with a 150gr bullet, and I drop the charge to about 7.5gr just to make sure I stay subsonic. Shoots great!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top