JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a pre 64 model 70 in .338 mag, it has accidentally become my favorite rifle. I want to take it for some smaller game, deer and pigs, but I dont feel the need to use the cannon powered rounds. I was hoping to load it down to about 2200 fps with a 225 grain bullet. where do i find loads for that? MY loading manuals dont have alot of reduced power information. Anyone have any experience with these loads? n

You can make a decent load with trail boss.
Just fill the case to capacity, then reduce by (edit!) 30% as a starting point.
Trail boss is an incredibly "fluffy" powder. 10 oz fill a normal 1lb bottle to the absolute brim.
I dabbled with it for 30-06 and 270 win. I used a varmint bullet so i got relatively normal expansion even at reduced speed.

Last Edited:
Conventional wisdom and advice from Hodgdon is that IMR 4895 may safely be reduced to 60% of "normal" charge level.

I have some old data from DuPont, shows loads for 200 gr. and 250 gr. bullets, none for 225 gr. You could split the difference.

200 gr. jacketed bullet
40.0 gr. IMR 4227 2390 fps
48.5 gr. IMR 4198 2615 fps

250 gr. jacketed bullet
36.5 gr. IMR 4227 2060 fps
44.0 gr. IMR 4198 2255 fps

With the usual admonition to reduce starting loads by 10% and work up.

If SR 4759 were still available, I'd recommend that as well. But it isn't. However, AA 5744 is a reasonable substitute and you might find some data online for it in .338 Win Mag. I know there is cast bullet data for that combo.

+1 on Trail Boss. i use it for subsonic .308 and other rifle bullets.

I don't have a .338, not familiar with the cartridge.

I am familiar with shooting animals with slow bullets. I don't recommend it. I doesn't work nearly as well as one would think.

I wonder if it is possible to find lighter bullets, perhaps in the 150gr neighborhood, and speed them up over 2800 fps?
Cleaner quicker kills would be the result, IMO.

There's a lot to be said for hydraulic effects on impact.

@P7M13 ill tag him as he did something similar with 308 or 270, can't recall, packed cotton into the case to hold the powder back or something like that. Gun went band, steel went ding, muzzle threw confetti!!!

@P7M13 ill tag him as he did something similar with 308 or 270, can't recall, packed cotton into the case to hold the powder back or something like that. Gun went band, steel went ding, muzzle threw confetti!!!
I know things can go wrong if you dont have a proper load, never thought of packing cotton in there. I guess I am glad i didn't . ;)

I know things can go wrong if you dont have a proper load, never thought of packing cotton in there. I guess I am glad i didn't . ;)
They worked perfectly, something about ensuring the powder stayed at the rear of the case so the primer could detonate.

I'll wait till he chimes in, as I'm really not certain to how he made them.

Conventional wisdom and advice from Hodgdon is that IMR 4895 may safely be reduced to 60% of "normal" charge level.

I have some old data from DuPont, shows loads for 200 gr. and 250 gr. bullets, none for 225 gr. You could split the difference.

200 gr. jacketed bullet
40.0 gr. IMR 4227 2390 fps
48.5 gr. IMR 4198 2615 fps

250 gr. jacketed bullet
36.5 gr. IMR 4227 2060 fps
44.0 gr. IMR 4198 2255 fps

With the usual admonition to reduce starting loads by 10% and work up.

If SR 4759 were still available, I'd recommend that as well. But it isn't. However, AA 5744 is a reasonable substitute and you might find some data online for it in .338 Win Mag. I know there is cast bullet data for that combo.
Isn't the reduced hodgdon load only for H-4895?

Not saying it won't work but..:

Ok, I spoke to Hodgdon today via telephone. My question to them was: "can I use the reduced load data from H 4895 and apply it to IMR 4895?". The tech guy at Hodgdon told me that the two powders are not interchangeable and the IMR should not be reduced. He said that they had done testing with the H4895, but no such tests have been done with the IMR powder. But he also said, "For what it is worth, the IMR is about the same powder, but it is a little faster on the burn rate."

For me, I make one load for each rifle so I can grab and go with this rifle and ammo knowing how it will work and that the scope will still be right on.
So my solution is a different rifle in say .308 or some such lessor than 338 Win Mag caliber.

Thats what i do too, for my '06 or 6mm rem, but the .338 is a BEAST. I just happened to love the rifle. Shoots amazingly well, until the recoil starts to add up. I dont really think it will do much more damage on a deer than my '06, the bullet will probably pass through before it expands too much, but I still think i can reduce the load and make it more of an all around rifle.

I like the 338 as well, but trying to make it not what it is at the very least will make it so you'll have to re-adjust the scope between loads. And if you shoot the wrong load with the wrong scope adjustment.....What I did to make my Browning 338 more comfortable to shoot was install a Limbsaver butt pad. I then developed a load with slow magnum powder and a Hornaday 250gr RN loaded to about 2900 FPS. The heavy bullet with slow powder made the recoil more of a punch rather than a painful slap.

Isn't the reduced hodgdon load only for H-4895?
Reduce H4895 only, NOT IMR4895!
thank you, thats good info.

Yes, I erred in mentioning incorrect Hodgdon advice. Who has decided that H is okay, IMR isn't okay for reduction. Yet you can find tons of comments online about IMR 4895 being used for reduced loads for many years. There have been articles in American Rifleman stating the 60% load value for IMR 4895 in reduced loads.

BUT: By all means play it safe and stick to the H4895 for reduced loads. Hodgdon is the distributor, they know best.

These loads are posted many places around the 'net. I see here that others have suggested looking up Hodgdon's reduced loads.
You can also look up loads from Lyman's Cast Bullet handbook, because soft, cast bullets at 13BHN need to be shot at a lower MV.

What I use:
110gr projectiles (I use Rainier Ballistics Copper Plated Swaged Lead. @galleyjoe was selling 2K of them for $60 bucks a few years ago and I snagged them.)
Powder : Alliant Unique or Hodgdon "Clays Universal". Both work almost identically. 10-13gr, depending on how fast you want them to shoot. I used Polyester at first (what Reno saw in the white snow from my barrel). Now use Kapok (old life preserver stuffing).
The load can be used for 308 Win or 30 WCF.
It has the muzzle report of a 22 (or less) and recoil somewhere between a 22 and an AR15.

****** CAUTION ************
You MUST use powders that are suitable for ignition in any position WITH a partially filled case !!
MOST POWDERS ARE ***NOT*** SUITABLE FOR THIS !!!!

Universal and Unique are both proven to be useful for this. Most Milsurp powders are NOT, where they will experience case detonation (KABOOM!!) when not loaded to 90% or more case fill capacity.

You could probably experiment with loads in the 338 WM. It poses no danger to your gun unless your projectile never leaves the barrel. I doubt that will be a problem.
I will use these powders, at up to 14 grains, for fireforming wildcat cases.

I make up the loads because my brother loves shooting, but severe arthritis keeps him from shooting full power loads in anything. It was also a great way to ease my son into shooting. He's a featherweight bean pole. By the time he was ready and tried my M70 338 Win Mag, at full power, he turned to me and said, "this is my favorite gun."

Edit to Add:
Went looking for my Lyman casting book, but it's currently boxed up.
A quick search came up with this useful article, but perhaps these may still kick more than you want.

The load chart below is from that article.

1606019280152.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews