JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The issue with case density doesn't mean you have to use small amounts of powder such as Unique, et all, but it is more efficient and cheaper.
For calibers with large bore expansion ratios you can often use powders that are much slower than normal
H-4895 is ~118 or so on the burn chart.
When you get up into the real slow stuff that's up in the 170 and above the powder never gets up to pressure with light weight bullets in larger bores, so the bullets go slower.
The bad part is all the unburned stuff and the higher cost of each round.

very good information
I've been using it for decades in my 03-A3 with a gas checked Lyman 190 gr spitzer.

Edit to add part of the article.. I'd check to see if folk use it in .338 but sounds like it should be good.

"..The Load" has shown complete success in the .303 British, 7.65 Argentine in the '98 actions (not the 1891 please), .308 Win., 7.62x54R Russian, .30-'06, 8x57 and .45-70 (strong-actioned rifles such as the 1886 Winchester or 1895 Marlin -- 12 grs. is maximum for 400 gr. bullets in the Trapdoor Springfield.

Since the article originally appeared I have heard from people who successfully used it in the 8mm Mauser, .35 Whelen, .375 H&H, .444 Marlin and .458 Winchester.."

Last Edited:
Thread revival.

Does anybody know how the powder manufactures determine the starting data?

My understanding is they have not been able to create the detonation scenario in their labs. So how do they decide what is the lowest weight of charge that can be safely used?

Somebody at Hodgdon said hey maybe we can safely load down H4895 powder charges to 60% of max. And they evidently tested it and deemed it safe to do so. What is so magical about h4895 that allows it to be safely reduced 60% from max?

Have they tested other powders comparable to H4895 to see how far down they could be reduced? Have other manufactures tested the powders they produce for reduced loads.

My suspicion is that there are other powders comparable to h4895 that can be similarly reduced but they just haven't been tested. If they have tested their entire line ups for 60% reduction, I would be interested in the results and why the charges were deemed unsafe or not recommended.

I have read of other reloaders who feel it's safe to reduce recommended starting loads by 10%. Does anybody here do that?

Another thought I had was using a slower powder, near case full loads in non-overbore smaller cases with lighter bullets to make reduced recoil loads. Another advantage of this is that slower powders have been more readily available lately. And they are typically slower movers in the classifieds so price per pound will likely be lower. Has anybody tried that, if so what were your results?

Slow Powder

A forth way to make reduced loads is to use a powder that is considered too slow for that particular round. An example is the 308 Winchester round. The normal powders are in the medium burning range such as 4895 or WW 748 and many similar powders. They will produce the top velocities for hunting loads. You can reduce them a little but not much as a reduction that is too extreme will cause inconsistent loads and in extreme instances may cause a bullet to get stuck in the barrel. So one way to cut down on velocity is to use an extremely slow burning powder such as an IMR 4831 or something similar. They are so slow that you can't build up enough pressure to obtain top loads. Of course, you want little or no airspace because too little powder will cause problems. Depending on the gun you may get good accuracy. Of course, this will not work in large magnum cases as they already need slow burning propellants to properly function. In most straight cases it will work ok. This may not be the best option but it is workable."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads