JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been trying to "load down" the Russian 54R cartridge to about the same level as a 30-30 of about 1800 to 2200fps. To make the carbine more comfortable to shoot. I've had some success with 2400 powder but have started using 38 grains of 4831 with really good results so far. I remove the original bullet and replace it with 150 grain 30-30 bullets and 38 grains of 4831. It shoots nice with groups better than the original loads. Has anyone else experimented with that velocity range. I find lots of load data for 1000 to 1600 fps but I want to stay up around 2000. Not much out there that I can find so I just started winging it with 4831. Read all kind of warnings of detonation and blowing up the gun and what not but also read that as long as the case is 60% full or better that detonation risk is extremely low. So very slow powders was tried because it fills the case to within about a 1/4 inch of the base of the bullet. Had a little problem with the steel cases no sealing really good and getting leakage back into the action with some powders. 4831 seems to seal it up long enough to get the bullet out the barrel before the pressure drops off to unseal the case. Would love to hear some arm chair expert opinions on this. Anyone out there have some advice or experience in that area. :)

Look up reduced loads with H4895. They say it is safe to download quite a bit with this powder. I would NOT do so with other powders myself because there may be situations where pressure could spike (I am told).

I think in anything Russian I would not want to stress too much, especially rifles produced in wartime.

H4895 is readily available and very accurate.

I don't like recoil either. I download for my son's 260 to about 75% of a full load with H4895.

The one thing I did try that didn't work at all was reducing the Russian powder that was already in it. I don't know what the Russians use for powder but it has about 48 to 52 grains of it. I tried reducing it down to 38 or 40 grains and it wouldn't seal the case long enough for the bullet to get out of the barrel. It would bleed gas back past the steel case and blasted it back into the action. It was quite impressive to see the flames shoot out past the bolt head. The brass cased stuff worked great but the steel isn't as flexible and it pulls away from the chamber under low chamber pressure. So now I just pour out the Russian stuff and went to 4831. I'm sure some of the powder is getting unburned and leaving the barrel that way but it works none the less. You may think I'm crazy but I save the russian powder and have been loading it into .223 loads and it works wonderfully. 19 grains behind a 55 grain bullets is shooting extremely well and with no high pressure signs what so ever. I have no idea where it's at in the burn rate charts but it working very well.

I used to do reduced loads in 308 for my ex wife. It was before anyone made them commercially and another load I worked up was a modestly powered 308 load with a 170 grain 30-30 flat nose bullet for use in my Savage 2400 combination backup gun. It is essentially a single shot, I wasn't going shoot a long distance and I wanted to anchor whatever I used it on. The light loads for my ex, I used 130 grain round nose bullets that were quite efficient. I don't remember the powder loadings and those notes went with the ex. I am working on light loads for my 44 Magnum right now. I want to load 44 special type loads using magnum brass so I don't have to mix brass. I have settled on Trail Boss powder for the job. It seems to be the go to stuff for reduced loads without having the inconsistency of a poorly filled case. Good luck, it is a worthwhile project.

a gas checked cast bullet with something like Blue dot behind it will tame it, almost domesticate it. Powder coated bullets might do wall also,at 1800fps +, either gc or powder coat would be a very good idea.

The one thing I'm still trying to save is it's usefulness as a serious hunting rifle. I want to use bullets that will perform well on deer. I'm not really convinced that lead bullets are able to meet the serious hunting requirement. I know lots of deer have been taken with lead bullets but the jacketed 30-30 bullet is a time proven great performer at that velocity and have none of the leading issues. I just loaded up a few more tonight with 38 grains of 4831 and a 170 grain 30-30 bullet. I can hear a little "powder rattle" when I shake it but it's not bad. I sink the bullet to the original crimping groove and crimp the steel case down into the groove. The one thing I need to tell anyone who tries this is that pre 1938 Mosins had a bullet guide machined into the receiver that helps the bullet center itself into the chamber. Later they removed that guide for speed of manufacture reasons. It's essential for using the flat nose 30-30 bullet. These bullets will not feed in the later mosins. I have three others that refuse to feed them but my pre 1938 likes them just fine. I'm shooting them out of a model 91-59 soviet conversion.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads