JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I you supposed to be able to face your accuser in the court of law.
Looks like they are going to have to tear down that camera and bringing to court

This is actually close. In any court of law you have the right to face your accuser. Further more in the State of Oregon a dully sworn Officer, Deputy, or Tropper has to witness the violation/crime unless they cited you under ORS 153.058 (citizen citation). A court officer or civilian employee does not have the "authority" to issue traffic citations. A Officer is suppose to review the incident.

Also under the current OAR it is the cities duty to make sure that they submit current evaluations so you could ask for that information be provided to aid your defense. If the city does not have or provide the evaluation they are in violation of 810.434-.436. Also they are required to have "Proper yellow change and red clearance intervals are consistent with ODOT's "Traffic Signal Policy and Guidelines" or other jurisdiction's adopted policy;
Corridor progression timing does not contribute to red light running;
Enforcement "tattle-tale" lights; and The traffic signal timing is consistent with traffic volume, speed and specific intersection design elements." Also check to see if proper signs are posted. Have the city prove that Red light camera is not wired through the traffic signal. Under current OAR and ODOT rules this would be a violation as well. You can also ask for the safety and operation report. You can also ask them to provide the Professional Engineer that was responsible for the certification. You can find this information from ODOT.

(a) A registered owner of a vehicle may respond by mail to a citation issued under subsection (1) of this section by submitting, within 30 days from the mailing of the citation, a certificate of innocence swearing or affirming that the owner was not the driver of the vehicle and by providing a photocopy of the owners driver license. A jurisdiction that receives a certificate of innocence under this paragraph shall dismiss the citation without requiring a court appearance by the registered owner or any other information from the registered owner other than the swearing or affirmation and the photocopy. The citation may be reissued only once, only to the registered owner and only if the jurisdiction verifies that the registered owner appears to have been the driver at the time of the violation. A registered owner may not submit a certificate of innocence in response to a reissued citation.

An actual officer reviews the footage before mailing the ticket and would be present in court if you challenged it.

You could be one of those people that cites ORS blah blah blah, but the odds of going to court and beating it on those grounds are very very slim to none.

Regardless of how you got caught, you admitted the crime, do your time.

I truly hate and am disgusted at the use of photo radar or red light radar, but as someone who has gotten hit from another rolling through a red, I have no sympathy.

Can you do a deferment program for running a red light?

I got a speeding ticket last year and went through a deferment program. Basically, you admit guilt, pay the full price, and go to a morning class on how to drive. Total waste of time, but it keeps it off your record. This is only available if you have a clean record for the past 3 or 5 years or something like that. I can't remember the full details.

I remember other people in court saying that they wanted to do the deferment program, but could not afford to pay the full ticket cost. So they plead guilty, judge reduced the fine, and no deferment for them.

Good luck!

Can you do a deferment program for running a red light?

I got a speeding ticket last year and went through a deferment program. Basically, you admit guilt, pay the full price, and go to a morning class on how to drive. Total waste of time, but it keeps it off your record. This is only available if you have a clean record for the past 3 or 5 years or something like that. I can't remember the full details.

I remember other people in court saying that they wanted to do the deferment program, but could not afford to pay the full ticket cost. So they plead guilty, judge reduced the fine, and no deferment for them.

Good luck!

Save your deferment for in case you really need it.

(a) A registered owner of a vehicle may respond by mail to a citation issued under subsection (1) of this section by submitting, within 30 days from the mailing of the citation, a certificate of innocence swearing or affirming that the owner was not the driver of the vehicle and by providing a photocopy of the owners driver license. A jurisdiction that receives a certificate of innocence under this paragraph shall dismiss the citation without requiring a court appearance by the registered owner or any other information from the registered owner other than the swearing or affirmation and the photocopy.

So a husband and wife each own their own vehicles (purchased and registered in their own names, not titled in both names)...then they just drive the other's car all the time...? Even when together, whichever person owns the car the other drives...

Live here a long time, and now with Red light camera's at both ends of town, I hate driving on 99W. Dundee used to be the revenuers stop, but Sherwood, works the hell-o out of 99w. "Safety officiers sworn to gather moneys" from drivers. aka revenuers..

A friend of mine got one of these in Beaverton. The picture quality is so bad, they cant prove it was you. Most people who plead not guilty to a traffic camera, that I have known, have gotten out of it completely. They are really just there to intimidate and control.

So a husband and wife each own their own vehicles (purchased and registered in their own names, not titled in both names)...then they just drive the other's car all the time...? Even when together, whichever person owns the car the other drives...

I was sent a photo ticket for my wife. I simply replied back that it wasn't me with a picture of my license and it went away. The form never asked if it was another registered owner.

Similar situation happened a year or two later but it was sent to me and it was me even though my wife is the registered owner of the car. Paid the fine and moved on with life.

This is actually close. In any court of law you have the right to face your accuser. Further more in the State of Oregon a dully sworn Officer, Deputy, or Tropper has to witness the violation/crime unless they cited you under ORS 153.058 (citizen citation). A court officer or civilian employee does not have the "authority" to issue traffic citations. A Officer is suppose to review the incident.

Also under the current OAR it is the cities duty to make sure that they submit current evaluations so you could ask for that information be provided to aid your defense. If the city does not have or provide the evaluation they are in violation of 810.434-.436. Also they are required to have "Proper yellow change and red clearance intervals are consistent with ODOT's "Traffic Signal Policy and Guidelines" or other jurisdiction's adopted policy;
Corridor progression timing does not contribute to red light running;
Enforcement "tattle-tale" lights; and The traffic signal timing is consistent with traffic volume, speed and specific intersection design elements." Also check to see if proper signs are posted. Have the city prove that Red light camera is not wired through the traffic signal. Under current OAR and ODOT rules this would be a violation as well. You can also ask for the safety and operation report. You can also ask them to provide the Professional Engineer that was responsible for the certification. You can find this information from ODOT.

(a) A registered owner of a vehicle may respond by mail to a citation issued under subsection (1) of this section by submitting, within 30 days from the mailing of the citation, a certificate of innocence swearing or affirming that the owner was not the driver of the vehicle and by providing a photocopy of the owners driver license. A jurisdiction that receives a certificate of innocence under this paragraph shall dismiss the citation without requiring a court appearance by the registered owner or any other information from the registered owner other than the swearing or affirmation and the photocopy. The citation may be reissued only once, only to the registered owner and only if the jurisdiction verifies that the registered owner appears to have been the driver at the time of the violation. A registered owner may not submit a certificate of innocence in response to a reissued citation.

So...just curious, are you an attorney? No I'm not accusing you of giving legal advice.

I got the same freakin ticket turning on tualitin /sherwood road....I called the courthouse and the lady was able to reduce it over the phone and iI just paid her over the phone..

Seems like they don't take calls directly anymore. You have to leave a message and they take a few days to call you back now...

I got the same freakin ticket turning on tualitin /sherwood road....I called the courthouse and the lady was able to reduce it over the phone and iI just paid her over the phone..

I got a ticket there as well, first one in 28 years, lady on the phone reduced it to $212 after she looked up my driving history, that helped but Hartford insurance sure used that one ticket to raise my rates.

So I get one of these 'camera tickets'. They send a picture,a still of the video they took.

Of the back of my car,showing the license plate,clearly

My last name begins with B and the guy that was supposed to be ahead of me isn't there.
It's me first in line and boy did I piss off the judge.

Judge
"Do you have anything to say before we watch the video?"
Me
"Excuse me?"
Judge
"The video,we sent you a still of the video of you running the red light"
Me
"Oh yes,I wasn't driving the car that day,I was on my motorcycle"
Judge
"Who was driving the car?"
Me
"I don't know,I have several friends who borrow my car"
Nothing else to elaborate on

Then the clerk seems to try not to smirk as the judge,all frustrated,signs the papers off and I get off scott free.
I turn around and see the entire court room smiling.
I guess this is why the judge was pissed.

If they don't have a picture of your face,they don't have evidence that it was,in fact YOU driving.
It's their burden of proof

My buddy got the same ticket in Sherwood and at court they had video of the violation. Not just the pic he was mailed.

BUT Did they have a picture of HIS FACE?

It is not against the law to let anyone you want to drive your car.
Or let multiple people have keys to it
The burden of proof is on the court and you are a fool if you don't fight it,if they don't have your face in the picture.

So I get one of these 'camera tickets'. They send a picture,a still of the video they took.

Of the back of my car,showing the license plate,clearly

My last name begins with B and the guy that was supposed to be ahead of me isn't there.
It's me first in line and boy did I piss off the judge.

Judge
"Do you have anything to say before we watch the video?"
Me
"Excuse me?"
Judge
"The video,we sent you a still of the video of you running the red light"
Me
"Oh yes,I wasn't driving the car that day,I was on my motorcycle"
Judge
"Who was driving the car?"
Me
"I don't know,I have several friends who borrow my car"
Nothing else to elaborate on

Then the clerk seems to try not to smirk as the judge,all frustrated,signs the papers off and I get off scott free.
I turn around and see the entire court room smiling.
I guess this is why the judge was pissed.

If they don't have a picture of your face,they don't have evidence that it was,in fact YOU driving.
It's their burden of proof

win-one-internet.jpg

Hell on my ticket (if I remember right) they wanted me to tell them who was driving if it wasn't me .and there is a website(or there was one when i got my ticket)that you can put your citation number into and watch the video before you go to court...Best of luck to ya bud.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top