Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Redlight Camera Sherwood (Help reducing fine)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lola85, Jan 21, 2013.

1. lola85

lola85 Portland Member

Recently received a red light ticket in Sherwood. Turned right on red. Did not come to a complete stop but rolled through the intersection since there were no other cars present.

I know that I'm "in the wrong" for not coming to a complete stop but has anyone had any luck fighting these? It's a $260 ticket...

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Try throwing yourself at the mercy of the court. Might get a reduction in fines.

3. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Show up in person. Plead guilty to the surveillance state judge. Probably knock a hundred off if your record is decent.

Norm0931, jbett98, ogre and 5 others like this.
  4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I am not sure how things work in OR. You could see how Deferments work in your area. If it is a moving violation and you are worried about how it will effect your insurance rates a lot of places will change them to "non-moving" violations for a fee. Of course you can research your question on the internet and see what others have to say. If you are worried about the moving violation it might be worth a call to a traffic lawyer. Most will give you a clue if it is worth fighting on the phone.

I have used all the above options depending on the situation. I have a clean record but sometimes it has cost a bit more then the actual ticket. Still cheeper in the long run then having them on my record.

5. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

===========================================================

I was in a traffic accident (my fault) a few summers back and was cited for reckless driving.
    I was driving along doing the speed limit in a 35 zone and a driver 4 cars ahead of me did an emergency stop and I was slow to react and so rear ended the car in front of me.

I plead not guilty.

When I went to court the judge asked me if my insurance had paid out, of course it had, so the judge dismissed the charg.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

...didn't someone borrow your car that day?

7. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

These dang radar photo things are good for something... I quit picking my nose in the car.

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

How can you have been driving that car.. your friend borrowed it that day to help someone move while you were sick at home..right?

I hate those red light cameras. Have you ever watched the light change time with those photo monitored lights? They roll over to red faster than the other ones.

The next time you go through one just watch how fast it goes from green to yellow and quickly to red to catch the driver..
    They also place those at intersections where there is more distance from the light to the lane than at others. At night, or with your car measure it.. they strategically place them where they know the most traffic goes through as well as other factor that'll get them more $$
    Those photo enforced lights are a huge scam.

9. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

$260 for a California Roll? Good to know, I'll piss my wife off by insisting that she comes to a **full** stop from now on. I do it all the time and sometimes I get the idea she snickers a little over it.

10. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

I you supposed to be able to face your accuser in the court of law.
    Looks like they are going to have to tear down that camera and bringing to court

11. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Those cameras are nothing more than a revenue stream for the city. I'd like to see some data on accidents caused by them (oh crap yellow...slam on the brakes)

12. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

where are all the paintball guns at:huh:
    can't ticket what they cant see

1 person likes this.
  13. husker

husker portland Active Member

Should ride a bike. They dont have to stop for anything.

Just Me, benjohson, Bushman and 3 others like this.
  14. akmewon

akmewon clackamas Active Member

I got the same freakin ticket turning on tualitin /sherwood road....I called the courthouse and the lady was able to reduce it over the phone and iI just paid her over the phone..

15. WoodyK

WoodyK West End Of The Columbia Gorge Member

16. Pepiot

Pepiot Oregon My other girl ^^^^^

How does the red light camera know you didn't come to a complete stop?

17. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There are magnetometer induction wires embedded in the road. Ever notice those square or round lines with epoxy filling the cuts.
    Those wires measure the mass of metal in your vehicle when passing over them. The traffic signal switches are slaved to the red light camera computer.

18. lola85

lola85 Portland Member

Best response so far. Thanks, I'm going to call tomorrow. Seems like the easiest route as I barely have time to even make it to the scheduled court date.

19. Pepiot

Pepiot Oregon My other girl ^^^^^

What if it was a long yellow light, you make a complete stop right as it turns yellow, see no cars are coming and turn right as it is turning from yellow to red? Im admiting I know nothing to how these work but they have to have flaws.

20. wou42

wou42 Portland Active Member

My buddy got the same ticket in Sherwood and at court they had video of the violation. Not just the pic he was mailed.