JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While shooting with a group from a different website I brought a bunch of shaving cream cans and set them up at well over 100 yards. I had taken 2 shots at one when Iracnback asked me what I was shooting at. I said the shaving cream can right "there" Bang and it exploded. Then I said there is a can about 5 feet to the right, Bang and it blew up. John said that if he hadn't seen it himself he would have called BS but after that he and I traded shots at other shaving cream cans even further out. DA_N it was a good day!!!
Love my 1911's;)

Just got the 38 sighted in at 250 yards today. The yellow jackets were so bad I didn't want to keep shooting to get it dialed in to 500 yards. I need some cooler weather to kill off some of these bees!

It is really fun, I don't know why more people don't try it!

Hopefully you picked up your shaving cream cans.....;)
Of course I picked up my shaving cream cans and 3 other 50 gallon trashcan liners bags full of crap! I don't go to shooting areas very often that aren't regulated by a RO but when I do my truck is always loaded down with garbage coming out

I was shooting with my disabled marine cousin...

We are total professionals when it come to training his "marine ways".

Apparently this trip was preceded by drinking from 4am to 6am. Then he was able to buy beer. Err more beer.

After a while drinking and shooting 308 shells at 600 yards just got boring for me. I decided to pick a target out on the hillside. A very large rock.

My lubricated Marine Cousin (may he remain nameless) judged the distance to be about 350-400 yards out. I hit the rock around round 3. After that I had my hold over.

He couldnt hit the rock at all with his pistol after he seen me shooting. I think he punished the 30 pack of (ewww) Bud harshly afterwards.

Thank the deities he napped out pretty quick after that.

Oh and my Cousin still claims that it was him pistol shooting that day. He may be good with a rifle but he isnt qualified to shoot farther than he can pee as far as I am concerned!

As far as hold over... I lift the muzzle and throw one. I mark the splash. I adjust and try again.

I did paint up a striped front post to help with measurements.... Then painted it black again....

Ran my load data through the ballistics software and figured out my holdover with my existing 250 yard zero. A little over 20 FEET of holdover needed to hit at 500 yards with a 250 yard zero!!!!!

Shooting a 125 grain Berry's plated flat nose bullet over 4.5 grains of Bullseye @ 900 FPS out of a S&W model 14 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I have an old Leupold M-8 fixed 2 power mounted on it.

Of course I picked up my shaving cream cans and 3 other 50 gallon trashcan liners bags full of crap! I don't go to shooting areas very often that aren't regulated by a RO but when I do my truck is always loaded down with garbage coming out

Thank you for cleaning up! We need more shooters to make this a habit! I really appreciate it!

I never pass up an opportunity when at the range to shoot my 3" revolver or any other pistol I have out to 200yd. Had fun a few weeks ago using .38 specials that were ghost fart loads and hitting the 200yd gong.

Like driving a slow car fast. Much more fun than a fast car slow. :)
Then again I am weird.

The vast majority of my distance handgun shooting has been at 50 yds, for police and military qualifications. In the early 70's I was at a public range in Sandy Eggo, shoot'n my S&W model 19 .357 mag 4", police duty gun. A .44 magnum shooter engaged me in a conversation about distance shooting, when he made the claim; "You can't hit a barn with a .357 four inch at 100 yards." The bet was on. We agreed to meet the next week to put up or shut up.

I scrambled around town and found the hottest ammo I could find, Super-Vel, .357 mag., cranked the rear sight all the way up and showed up having never shot at 100 measured yards. We set the ground rules, single action prone and went at it. To this day I don't know how I managed to beat him, but I won the case of beer. :cool:

For the youngsters: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/6/18/super-vel-ammo/

Far from a joke!
Yep, it must be remembered that Elmer Keith did his Long Range Handgun Shooting without 2 Things. First, he did his without Optics on the Revolvers! Second, he did his without the Backing of Smith and Wesson!

I had the Pleasure of meeting him while he was still Shooting and I found him to be a truly fine man.

Anybody else out there try shooting at extreme ranges with their handgun?
I pretty regularly shoot at 100 to 150 yards with my handguns. The other day I was out shooting in the desert with some friends and decided to try some 200ish yard shots with my 6" 38 special revolver. I picked out a stick that looked like it was about maybe 2" diameter and about a foot long that was lying on a sand berm I ranged at 170 yards. I had a friend spotting with binoculars while I began to shoot at it. The first shot was not too far off, good left to right and only about a foot and a half low. By the third shot I broke the stick in two pieces, I think I'm hooked, it was really fun! My friends were shooting their AR's at a steel plate they had set up at 525 yards, so I gave that a few rounds with the 38, but we couldn't see the bullet impact well enough to compensate for the extreme range. I think I need more dry dirt/sand between me and the target to know where to hold.
After I got home I began to think more about it, so I decided to plug some bullet data into my ballistics software. With the load I am using in my 38 special: 125 grain plated flat point bullets .150 B.C. at 900 F.P.S. with about a 100 yard zero the software says I have a 627" drop at 500 yards..... Hmmm.... How much hold over would I need to make a hit at 500 yards? And how do I accomplish that hold with iron sights on my 6" model 14 S&W?

Any experience with this out there? If not you should really try it, it is really fun!
If shooting really long range, why not use a long barreled pistol in a caliber with a much flatter trajectory?

That was the point, to use a cartridge that wasn't super flat. Just for fun, to see if it could be done repeatedly/consistently.

Ran my load data through the ballistics software and figured out my holdover with my existing 250 yard zero. A little over 20 FEET of holdover needed to hit at 500 yards with a 250 yard zero!!!!!

Shooting a 125 grain Berry's plated flat nose bullet over 4.5 grains of Bullseye @ 900 FPS out of a S&W model 14 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I have an old Leupold M-8 fixed 2 power mounted on it.

Sounds more like an artillery exercise.... ;):p

If shooting really long range, why not use a long barreled pistol in a caliber with a much flatter trajectory?

Because then it'd just be a stockless rifle.... ;)

That was the point, to use a cartridge that wasn't super flat. Just for fun, to see if it could be done repeatedly/consistently.
So trying to shoot repeatedly/consistently with a " 627" drop at 500 yards "? That equates to a 52 foot holdover. Uh, ok then, carry on. There are handguns with a flatter trajectory that would reduce that holdover by 5 times (which would still be a crazy high holdover though).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top