JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have seen a lot of lettering filled in on AR 15 Lower receivers. I would like to do it myself (maybe) what do I use to do the lettering? is there a special way that you fill in the letters?....I do not want to use crayon....this is not a Glock :s0155:

model paint or even nail polish if all you have for supplies are your wife's cosmetics... any how, get it in the stamping as well as you can, and then take the appropriate solvent (nail polish - acttone, model paint - paint thinner) and wipe or scrub off the excess... easy as pie, ive done 3 lowers... and my 870 express also... ill get pics tomorrow. if youre near hillsboro, ill do it for you.

Thanks for the help guys. Since I plan on doing this only 1 time, I will skip the nail polish. :eek: I didnt see the other colors, I only saw gold.

I would like to see Pics of your lowers

Here is one, this is with brownells sticks
QnJyW.jpg

That pic leads me to a question I was thinking about.....

Is it legal to fill in the SN (serial number on the lower) with a brownells stick. I've noticed a lot of lowers do Not have it....:s0131:

most people don't fill in the serial#'s because it confuses them going from letters to numbers and having different colors,one for letters and one for numbers.For me,I have to put it away till the next day or have a friend there with me that is qualified to do numbers or letters that day,depending on what I'm working on.

I use model paint. Its easy to find at any local store, lasts a long, long time, does not come off with gun solvents. It works if you want to paint sights too. I did some of mine about 4 years ago and it looks just like the day I did it.

wg

I have a write up on AR15.com on how to do it, can't find it though...been along time.

Best way: Use Testors model paint mixed with paint thinner. get it thin to the point its a little thicker than water, you want it to run through the roll marks.

Now you need something small enough to drop a mini droplet of paint into the roll mark and let it run. I've used tooth picks but I prefer using a mini paint brush and cutting the bristles off it leaving like 3 or 4 brush hairs.

Let it dry for about 10mins. You will have some imperfections and that is okay. Now take 2 shotgun pads and put 1 drop of clp and 1 drop of paint thinner on 1 and leave the other dry. Using the clp/thinner pad very very lightly buff in circular motion until imperfections are gone. then use dry pad for final light buff. Should look good to go

Testors paint lasts the longest. Wax based roll mark fillers look really bad after a while. The wax drys out, chips, cracks, looses its color. Paint is noticabley better...

sorry, pics are from a cell phone, they look brighter/cleaner in real life...

hkpaint.jpg
0119081318.jpg

After about 5 months and more than 10 trips to the desert
20rndPmagpimped.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show