Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Red Tails

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by gunfreak, Jan 28, 2012.

1. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Just got back from watching Red Tails today with my Grandfather, Father and my Son, four generations. It was great. When we got out I asked my Grandfather if it stirred any memories. He was with B-25 bombers in the Pacific and was attached to fighters when he served in Korea. He remembers flak "scary" and flying on the deck during bombing runs he would get in the turret gun and shoot at jap gun enplacements. I have always enjoyed his memories. He turned 91 last week and is still in great health. Cheers to the "Greatest Generation".

2. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Nice, Thanks for a (good) story.

3. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

I'll bet your grandfather had a great time with the boys. A very good way to spend an afternoon.
    :drink:
    Cheers indeed.

4. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Still have an uncle who was in the 8th "Hell's Angels" Reminds me to visit more often.

5. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

My grandfather also recalled when he was attached to the fighters in Korea his squadron CO, a man he looked up to, was shot down on a mission. Recently on a family reunion trip in Texas where the CO was originally from he mentioned that he would like to get in touch with the family. As it turns out the CO's daughter lives in Washington State. My Grandfather was able to meet her in Eugene one day for lunch and tell her about her father and how much he respected him. She was not born until after her fathers death.

ATCclears, borrowedsig, rufus and 3 others like this.