JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't, they are the same thing as far as I am concerned. I use other parameters to determine which optic I will buy.

If I'm looking for a primary optic on a carbine I'll go with an Aimpoint T-1 because it is incredibly rugged, has a very long battery life, has a very unobtrusive outer shell and does not get that "looking through a tube" feeling that the big aimpoints have. EOTechs are not quite as rugged and the mount they come with can pop off your rails or the battery case can pop open. Their battery life is not as good, and the reticle looks fuzzy and kind of cluttered to me. I also prefer the knob adjustment on aimpoints to the buttons on the EOTechs. Gives you tactile feedback ya know? The "always-on" feature of aimpoints is nice too. No need to press anything when you have to use your rifle quickly. Fullsize Aimpoints are just as rugged as the T-1 and in the case of the Comp M4 have even better battery life, however they have a lot of extra bulk around the optic that limits your field of view and I don't like that as much.

Now... if I wanted to use a scope as a primary optic and a red dot/holo sight as a backup sight I may choose a holographic sight like the trijicon doctor or the burris fastfire. I would also consider these if I wanted to put an optic on a pistol. The trijicon doc has a very long battery life as well and the thing I look for most here is low-profile and low-weight. Aimpoint T-1 may be pretty tiny, but if you are going for the absolute tiniest optic you possibly can, I'd rather have the Doc.

Define what you are looking for in an optic, go handle some at a gun store or gun show and see if you like the controls and the reticle design. Read up on how they hold up during military service, in competitions, and at carbine classes (or whatever you intend on bringing your gun to). Then consider all options including red dots, holosights, or possibly even low powered scopes.

EDIT: looks like I got some terms mixed up, the doctor is not a holosight, just a regular reflex. Only EOTech is technically "holographic"

I really like the 'look' of the holographic eotech style sight but I just can't see much practical difference between a holographic and a red dot.

Really my goal is to help my kido shoot a little better. I think she was having problems with a scope and thought holographic might be a good option for her.

Well, sounds like you already know what you want then. If you end up going EOTech, I recommend the new XPS series, they don't have the battery case popping open issue that the other ones do and are a lot smaller. Don't know if they improved the mounting system any but it seems doubtful it will make a difference on a kid's gun. All that tacticool mumbo-jumbo doesn't really matter in this case. :) You might try taking HER to the gun store/show and seeing which optic she likes best.

If you want my personal opinion, I like to teach people to shoot with iron sights before introducing optics.

I've had several of each holographic sights have many problems in the field, too many to list.
I love my red dots; my current favorite is the Bushnell Trophy 1X, it has a "T" with a 1 MOA dot for accurate shooting beyond 100 yards. the broken T allows for hold over at longer ranges. With a bit of noodle work the reticle can be used as a range finder on objects of pre-determined size.

I have an eotech and it has functioned without issue. Maybe guys are buying the new plastic ones? I know there is NO WAY for the battery cover to "POP OFF", I can hardly get it off when I actually want it off, let alone the guy talking about the whole sight coming off the rail?? They are tough sights and are nice for eyes open shooting and fast acquisition.
Now on the other hand I have never used a Red dot. Seems like some guys like one, so they bad mouth the other without ever using one!
I do have a Aimpoint T-1 on the way for my POF so there will be a report on how I like the Aimpoint. I have played with them and it seems it may be more difficult to find center than that of the Eotech. Remains to be seen.
Good luck choosing, get out and check them out and find what YOU like best.

Dan

At Adventure Sports in Lynnwood, WA there is an Eotech that had a round go through the top corner of the glass. They will be more than happy to show you that it still works. I prefer the Eotech myself as there is some basis for range estmation. The Aimpoint Mseries is too bulky for my preference and the Micro series just reminds me of the Sig red dot and am not a huge fan of that look. Granted the Eotech does scratch my knuckles on the Sig 556 there is no problem with the AUG. I say it just comes down to personal preference.

Being from Tacoma and talking to Army soldiers,they seem to love the eotecs for the very fast target acquisition.

I have a cheaper red dot,but haven't really seen one I care for yet.

How about an ACOG?! Best of both worlds! Zoom when you need it, Chevron when you don't. Plus you get your range estimation. Gotta love that Bindon Aiming Concept.

If I had to choose between Aimpoint and EoTech it would be the Aimpoint for me. Keep in mind tho, it all comes down to shooter preference.

Can you see the holo with both eyes open if you are eye cross-dominant? I can with my red dots but it takes a little "training session" each time I shoot that way. Not sure how that works with other type devices.

This is the main reaosn I use red dots and holographics. I'm right-handed, left eye dominant and scopes are a huge PITA for me. I use a Bushnell Holosight (cheap Eotech) and have had no problems with it.

How about an ACOG?! Best of both worlds! Zoom when you need it, Chevron when you don't. Plus you get your range estimation. Gotta love that Bindon Aiming Concept.

If I had to choose between Aimpoint and EoTech it would be the Aimpoint for me. Keep in mind tho, it all comes down to shooter preference.
OP's looking for an optic for his little girl. She's tried scopes and had trouble with them. Bindon Aiming Concept is cool and all, but I think it may be a little much for a new shooter. :)

Can you see the holo with both eyes open if you are eye cross-dominant? I can with my red dots but it takes a little "training session" each time I shoot that way. Not sure how that works with other type devices.
I shoot both eyes open whether I'm using irons, a scope, or a red dot. Closing one eye always seemed to stress my eyes more, besides the whole losing peripheral vision thing. I am fortunate enough to be right handed and right eye dominant though so I don't have to worry about that sort of thing unless I'm at a practical rifle competition and have to shoot from reaction side. Red dot/holosight does make that a lot easier than using irons.

The Aimpoint Mseries is too bulky for my preference and the Micro series just reminds me of the Sig red dot and am not a huge fan of that look.
Aimpoint micro has been around for much longer than sig's cheap knockoff they started packaging their guns with recently. The sig red dot is actually pretty meh, even for a cheap one. Primary Arms, Vortex, or Bushnell make better cheapo micro red dots.

Before you decide to get any kind of Red dot sights, Make sure you try them in person. (any kind)

If you have an "astigmatism" you will not able to see red dot clearly. It will look like big oval, tangled string or other shapes depends on how bad your eyes are.

I have owned a few EOtechs, and have tried red dots. For close quarters, nothing beats an Eotech for speed and the larger field of view... In my opinion. I can get the larger eotech reticle on target much quicker than a tiny dot in a tube (a red dot scope). Also - after you practice, you can know that you can use the very bottom edge of the larger circle to aim at close distances - and you know the round will go there (say your rifle is sighted in at 50 yards, but you are having to use it inside).

For non magnified optics, I love the EOtech. The XPS is my fav too. I have one on my PS90, and had one on the MSAR I owned up until recently.

View attachment 194212

"red dot" and "holographic" are the exact same thing- reticle image reflected off glass.

why not just phrase the question, "aimpoint or eotech?"

not sure who invented this retarded distinction, but its gay.

"red dot" and "holographic" are the exact same thing- reticle image reflected off glass.

why not just phrase the question, "aimpoint or eotech?"

not sure who invented this retarded distinction, but its gay.

I didn't know they were the same technology. My question was more of the difference between the styles (tube vs. the little window looking thingy).

Thanks for the replies.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads