JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was reading up on rifles for home defense (Not urban or apartment) and the writer mentioned red dot sights as a superior alternative to open sights.

I kinda got out of the shooting hobby about 15 years ago and picked it back up about a year ago, so red dot sights just weren't a thing back then.

I love the open sights in my SKS, but would a red dot be better? (I have a taco T6 stock with rails on top)

Or are red dot sights really only cool on certain rifles or really meant to be used with a scope.

Are there any red dot sights that don't cost $500? Eotech seems to have the market cornered on crazy expensive ones.

Eotech is not the most expensive by any means, although they are spendy. The Army and Marines seem to like the Eotechs and Aimpoints and both can be expensive but there are other good less expensive Red Dot sights. One of the better inexpensive ones is the Vortex Strike Fire and Burris also makes some good ones. Red Dots are fast in picking up a target. Electronic sights are the wave of the future but there is nothing wrong with iron sights. In fact, it is not a bad idea to also mount Backup Iron Sights (BUIS) for use when the electronic sights run out of battery or die for some inexplicable reason.

That's an interesting idea! So you can use the red dot with your fixed sights intact.. Does that same method work for the SKS irons?

This video gives you pros and cons of both. I prefer the 1/3 cowitness with a flip up rear sight and fixed front. With the 1/3 if the red dot goes down or you don't choose to use it, ya still got the irons.

Optic Mount Height Discussion - Absolute Cowitness vs. Lower 1/3 Cowitness Optic Mount Height Discussion - Absolute Cowitness vs. Lower 1/3 Cowitness - YouTube

I think red dot sights are great and use them in shooting sports all the time however I don't use them on my home defense guns as they would be useless at night and I want to keep things consistent on my home defense equipment. Now lasers are a different animal a good one works both in the daylight and in the dark. That I would consider. But if using a laser at night be sure to hold it off to the side and not in front of your body as the bad guy can follow it back to you.

A really good choice is a Vortex Sparc, they work great.
If you are concerned about explaining your choice of sight after having shot someone, I suggest you get rid of your weapons, ya can't explain your choice to someone who believes that you shouldn't have one let alone use it.
Be judged by 12 or carried by 6, hmmmm easy choice.
As you get older your eye lens will become less flexible, you won't be able to see 3 items, rear, front, and target. Red dots really help with old eyes.
Now if the red dots weren't working well they wouldn't be using them in the military as a primary sight system.

Jim

I don't think red dots are going to be useful in HD. It is not as if you will be shooting very far. Most HD is at very close ranges. When you are highly excited without notice are you going to be so calm as to think Red Dot on? i doubt it. I think your old eyes will work fine in HD with iron sight.

I prefer open sights I had a aimpoint compm4 I bought because that's what the military uses and I did'nt care for it I actually loaned it out to buddies and they used it more than I did after they bought optics for their rifles I sold it

During competition, I shake and lose some fine motor skills. I've found electronic sights become more difficult to master with the loss of those fine motor skills. I can only wonder about a real gun fight.

I did a defensive carbine course a couple summers ago. We had young guys to at least one guy who was 55ish. While everyone had BUIS I didn't see anyone using those as the primary. We had drills where speed and accuracy made for some decent stress. Speaking for myself I found my EoTech to be perfect for distances of a few feet out to 25 yards for the class purposes. I have also been able to shoot a railroad tie plate (approx the size of a piece of notebook paper) at 225 yards with my EoTech.

I don't think red dots are going to be useful in HD. It is not as if you will be shooting very far. Most HD is at very close ranges. When you are highly excited without notice are you going to be so calm as to think Red Dot on? i doubt it. I think your old eyes will work fine in HD with iron sight.

Good point. My EoTech battery life is it's downside as compared to some of the Aimpoints that you now leave on for like an entire year and not have to worry about the battery. Leupold has a 1-4x scope that has some type of mechansim where the illuminated reticle shuts itself off after a few minutes of no gun motion and automatically illuminates as soon as motion is detected.

I prefer open sights I had a aimpoint compm4 I bought because that's what the military uses and I did'nt care for it I actually loaned it out to buddies and they used it more than I did after they bought optics for their rifles I sold it

I also sold my AP Comp M4. Great red dot optic obviously or the military wouldn't use them. But I had a harder time doing a both eyes open use of it. I've found that I do much better with my EoTech as far as both eyes open. I bought the Bushnell version of the AP Micro. The size is perfect as far as I am concerned and the battery life of the AP is a big time plus.

I talked to a soldier,back from Iraq,that said he wasn't real sure if he liked the Eotec at first.
Then he got in a fire fight and when the targets appeared in the site instantly,he liked it a lot.(instant target acquisition is what I was looking for)
Someone shot at him,he looked around the corner in the site,and dropped the guy.Fell in love.

I'm on the red dot over irons for my old eyes.I can hit stuff at 150 yards,but it's mostly MOB (minute of bad guy) not bulls eye type shooting,with the opens.

I use the AimPoint Micro clone by Konus and have it co-witnessed to my BUIS. I can sight throught the Konus at my iron sights no problem with the sight turned off. It's quick to pick up and accurate. We usually shoot multiple stationary clays at 15 to 50 yards and it's great. Red and green of variable power. 1x24mm so it's small and easy to use both eyes open. Probably identical to Kevatc's Bushnell and the Sig version. Same battery in use for 1.5 years, though not on all the time. maybe 1000 rds. with it. $100 to $150 depending on where you look. Konus Sight-Pro Atomic 1x24.

You can get a great reconditioned Nikon Red Dot electronic sight online from places like Midway or Natchez for under $200. Optics and adjustments are awesome because of the variable red dot sizing capability. With the proper size picatinny rail risers, you can get the front iron sights of your tactical rifle to "coexist" providing you have a folding rear sight that allows you to fold them down when using the red dot. Works great with AR15's with BUIS, two quick turns on a quick disconnect riser and the red dot is off and out of the way if for some reason it fails..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top