JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Curious if anyone has experience with adding a red dot sight to their handgun?
I've got a Ruger 22/45 Lite and was thinking about adding one, however, when I looked at some sights at Sportsmans the other day I was very disappointed at how hard it was to actually find the dot while holding the sight at the position it would be on the gun.

I was looking at this type. Thoughts?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51CgbLbI2pL.jpg

I run one on a 22. It is very accurate. It also lets you know how unsteady your grip is when that little red dot is dancing all over the place.
Nice. I found an optic like yours on the bone pile, but cannot find one of the scope rings. It looks like it may be easier to see the dot with this type.

My rig is almost the same as Twodogs....I have a factory threaded MKIII with a Sparrow, with a Bushnell red dot up top.

It's amazingly quiet, almost like a pellet gun. Out of the pistol barrel, I have yet to find any ammo that goes supersonic so it's basically just the noise of the action. Really a fun plinker.

I put a red dot on my Trailside sometimes but mostly just prefer to carry it in a hip holster Grouse hunting. I like the dot for targets that don't move but for action targets shoot with iron sights.

I have 3 handguns with a Burris Fast Fire 2. Ruger 22 Competition 'Slab Side'.
I put the low profile Burris mount on it and I love it. A 5 inch S&W 625
45 acp. And a old Kimber 45 acp 1911. The sight was installed the slide
of the 45 several years ago and a thousand or so rounds through it.
With no issues! The Fast Fire 3 is a better sight do to you do not
have to dismount the sight to change batteries. And it has brightness
adjustments. The 3 was not available when I bought these sights.
As you get older focusing on the front sight becomes more difficult.
I highly recommend the Fast Fire.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...ith-picatinny-mount-matte?cm_vc=OBv1548412795

You need to be more proficient to be able to quickly use a dot on a pistol as opposed to irons. The reason is the narrow view angle of the dot. Irons are always visible and simpler to refine the alignment.
If you have a had time picking up the dot and keeping it as you transition that's telling me that you are not presenting and keeping the pistol aligned consistently. More practice necessary.

I'm getting rid of my "reflex" pistol optic (with a little crosshairs pattern in it). It's a cheapo and the mount tilts to the right even with a shim. Distracting. Switching to the tube type because I can twist that to a true vertical zero, even with suspect mounting hardware.

Still hoping to find a tube with the crosshairs image. I use the top and bottom of that shape for different zeroes at different distances. Any suggestions for a tube with the little pattern?

Two observations for those who've not been down this road yet:

The reflex optics I've used that have both red & green dots provide different zeroes. You're essentially switching from one internal laser source to another. While either will give you a nice tight group from a stable rest, switching to the other will move your POI at least a fraction of an inch.

My silencer is sexy. James Bond and the Man From UNCLE look like methheads next to me when I screw it onto my 22/45. It's that good! But shooting it unsupported makes for a lot of muzzle wag, especially in the breeze. I'm far more accurate without those extra few ounces flopping around way out there. On the 10/22? It's extremely accuate, and a little bit awesome with uncorked ears to hear the action click and the brass tinkle.

without_zps239cfe91.jpg
with_zpsea79feeb.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads