JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had an ncstar red dot on mine. Mounted to a side mount. I would't recommend mounting it with one of those top covers that has a rail attached. Everytime you remove the top cover to clean the gun you lose your zero and it is very loose fit. I have heard this from more than one person as well as my own experience.

I have a Kobra sight on my AR and my AK,and a PK-AS on my USC carbine,all are Russian made and all work extremely well.As far as an inexpensive red-dot,check out CDNN,they have a pretty good selection...

The october 20 issue of the shotgun news did a section on red dotting your AK. It was the cover story. They tried a virety of different ones, and different mounts. I agree with dan147, thats my route.

I've fiddled with optical sights on AK's at some length for a couple of years now and here's what I've settled on:

Action Arms Ultra-Dot 1" tube in Weaver low rings on an Ultimak forward rail.
Light, low, sturdy, co-witnesses with the iron sights (VERY important consideration imho) and very, very fast. Right around $200 all up. Less if you shop around the auction sites a bit.

Other guys use more costly and elaborate setups (and more power to 'em) but I don't see it. The basic concept of an AK is "good enough is good enough" so why spend more on the optics than you paid for the rifle??

The Ultimak mount is solid as a rock. I like getting the optic out of my face to where it doesn't restrict my view. Also the Ultimak gives you a place to hang a light mount, which is needful on a true fighting rifle.

The AA Ultra Dot red dot sights are the best I've found. Very robust. Light. And if the battery is dead, no problem because the iron sights are clearly visible through the tube. I've tried several other red dot sights (Bushnell, Aimpoint, Tasco) and none have been satisfactory.

The older design red dot sights are "old" technology and so sell at a considerable discount compared to the "cutting edge" stuff. The only real drawback is you have to rememeber to turn them off to save the battery. Spare batteries go into the range bucket anyway, so this is a minor problem. Also there are numerous places on an AK that you can carry spare batteries for the Ultra Dots (the batteries are small and flat - about the size of two quarters) right on the gun easily. Use your imagination.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top