JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger SRH in 480 and want to mount an optic. I'm not very good with reflex sights on handguns and don't need magnification so I was going to use a 1x30 red dot, either a PA SLx Advanced 30mm red dot or a Vortex Strikefire II.

Does anyone have any experience with a set up like that?

There are two things I need to know:

Will those hold up to heavy recoil? I know most name brand red dots will handle most firearms but I don't have any experience with either of those two red dot scopes

And, can I use medium height rings or do they need to be high rings? I want to keep the scope close to the bore but am not sure the medium rings will work.

Thanks.

Any interest in a rail and something with an even bigger objective that mounts to a rail?

Not really. The revolver is big enough. I don't want to add the weight of a full size scope. I also want something that's quick acquisition.
Oh no sorry not a full sized scope but a tube based red dot. That isn't as big as what you might be thinking. I want to say you are thinking this?
1628730338010.jpeg
I was thinking something like this but with a bigger objective red dot like the MRO.
1628730413316.jpeg
The cleanest looking would be the micro dots.
1628730549060.jpeg

That top set up is close to what I'm looking to do. What's the objective size on that? I can't place what the optic is. I'm wanting a 30mm size.

The micro dots are too small.

All my revolvers have a ultra dot, one model or the other. I really like them. I usually mount a wiegand rail and then the dot. I have a redhawk in 45 colt that I have the mini wiegand rail, it has a weight limit so I mounted a vortex venom, it works good but sometimes I have a problem picking up the dot, I've never had that problem with the ultradots. I have them mounted on revolvers from 38 special to 500 s&w, haven't had a problem yet.

The issue with ultradot is they don't make not magnified red dot scopes. At least not that I could find. That's why I was looking at the Strikefire. I could buy one and get a single 30mm scope mount.

For a Ruger Super Redhawk it seems to me a shame to use some other mounting system than Ruger rings mounted all the way back on the frame since there are huge advantages in that position and the Super Redhawk design is intended in part to make that optic mounting position possible.

Once you have chosen the optic, call Ruger . have dimensions of optic ready. Ask for technical help. Then ask to speak with the nice lady who can tell you what height of scope rings you should use to mount that.

I just picked up a '89 SRH in 44Mag w/ Leupold Vari-X. My plan is to go Weigand rail & Ultradot (they actually recommend/suggest the Ultradots). They make a special version of the Weigand for the 480/454Casull that
requires removing the rear sight to use as another recoil lug.

The issue with ultradot is they don't make not magnified red dot scopes. At least not that I could find. That's why I was looking at the Strikefire. I could buy one and get a single 30mm scope mount.

I want to say something in the 20mm range. Not very large and the field of view gets hit because of it.

That's why I figured field of view might be the concern?

Or are you looking for something slightly magnified like a 2x etc?

Im not sure what the reason is for eliminating the micros, their field of view would be better than a small diameter tube sight.

As for the Vortex, what you are describing should work. I was just trying to say that there are similar options in a much smaller footprint.

There is the SRO that has a large lens and clear unobstructed view.
1628779018732.jpeg
Or tube style with larger oculars for better field of view.
Trijicon MRO
1628779224068.jpeg

Holosun 530
1628779297995.jpeg 1628779514588.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the weigand rails. On my srh 44 mag, I had a problem with the red dot moving around, the weigand rail and better rings solved that problem. But that's my hunting revolver, 300 grain hard cast, coated and gas checked on top of H-110. Not a plinking round.

I'll have to check when I get home. Had the same problem with my 460 s&w. I dug through my junk drawer and found another ring that would fit, so I have three rings on that ultra dot, solved the problem.

I have Uvitis and the micro dots don't work for me on pistols. I've tried it.

I have used a 30mm red dot scope Scout style on a rifle and it worked really well. That's about the same distance as holding a pistol.

I struggle with the stock sights on the SRH. On my S&W revolver I put on a set of XS sights which work great for my eyes (the small dot). But I want a non magnified red dot scope for my SRH. It will be my woods carry gun once I set it up how I want it. The plan is to shorten the barrel (not sure how short yet), add a 1x30 red dot, and get some sort of quick draw holster.

What about aimpoint 9000 series, was made for drive hunt big bore rifles. Weigh only 7oz length 6 in 30mm tube
That would be a great option but Aimpoint is expensive. The Vortex and PA are shorter and less expensive. Despite Aimpoint being top quality, I have a hard time spending $500 for an optic unless it's the only option. I'm not strapped for cash but I'm not rich either. I think the PA scope I am looking at might be a little to cheap, and the Aimpoint is too expensive, the Vortex is a good middle ground. I also think the medium height rings will work (I have a pair that came with the gun but they are 1"). I will contact Ruger to be sure.

Thanks for the input guys. If anyone has any other ideas I'm still open to other options.

Well i don't much know but Aimpoint 5000 has several thousand rounds thru it with nary a problem. It's now on a 3.5 inch Mossy Ulti-mag shotgun and still hasn't had a problem. It's got the two minute dot and it's very usable even for my old eyes.

Well i don't much know but Aimpoint 5000 has several thousand rounds thru it with nary a problem. It's now on a 3.5 inch Mossy Ulti-mag shotgun and still hasn't had a problem. It's got the two minute dot and it's very usable even for my old eyes.
If you ever want to trade for a newer Aimpoint or a micro red dot I've been looking for an Aimpoint 5000 for a period correct rifle I'm building.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top