JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok looking for a cheap red dot or scope and wondering what way to go? This is going on a 16" AR flat top upper.
I have never dealt with a red dot so just wondering what way people would go. Rifle is just a plinker/truck gun nothing fancy.

Thanks!

How far do yon plan to shot? Red Dots are intended for quick shot at bad breath distance out to 200 or even 300 yards. Magnified optics will but slower but take you out further. Micro red dot are lighter and quicker. I personally prefer them for carbines.

Well is a truck gun just for plinking and kind of a SHTF deal..... I am just blind :D so usually go the scope rout but kind of like the idea of the red dot. Was looking at the Vortex Spitfire as PSA has it on sale today.

Well is a truck gun just for plinking and kind of a SHTF deal..... I am just blind :D so usually go the scope rout but kind of like the idea of the red dot. Was looking at the Vortex Spitfire as PSA has it on sale today.

I'm not blind but only good to 40'-50' so I just ordered this....
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-gen-2-3-9x42-ultimate-sighting-system.html

I didn't read anything bad about it so I hope I didn't make a terrible mistake. I'm really new to this and was lazy, wanting to get it NOW, and didn't ask the board for recommendations. It looks like I can remove the micro red dot from the scope and put it off to the side if I want.

I love my Vortex Strike fire because it has a red and green dot (green is best for bright days) and it is powered by a regular battery....
Out at 100 yds I can hit a 5" metal plate repeatedly.
Point and shoot accuracy.

Last Edited:
I have had a few of the bushness trs25 red dots and they are a good cheap red dot, they work but you always have to make sure to turn them off, if I bought another one, I would pony up a bit more money and go with a Holosun micro red dot, it has everything a aimpoint has, and it will auto turn off after 8 hours with a aimpoint doesnt, it also has a motion turn on. 5yr battery and all the other features for 160$.. cant beat the price.

http://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HS403...e=UTF8&qid=1449174507&sr=8-1&keywords=holosun

I have had a few of the bushness trs25 red dots and they are a good cheap red dot, they work but you always have to make sure to turn them off, if I bought another one, I would pony up a bit more money and go with a Holosun micro red dot, it has everything a aimpoint has, and it will auto turn off after 8 hours with a aimpoint doesnt, it also has a motion turn on. 5yr battery and all the other features for 160$.. cant beat the price.

http://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HS403...e=UTF8&qid=1449174507&sr=8-1&keywords=holosun

I kind of like that one but I did pick up one of these to try out <broken link removed> was on sale so figured what the hell. If I do not like it on the 5.56 it will go on a SBR I am doing.

a buddy of mine picked one of those up, i haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but I'm not a particular fan of how big they are, seems to take up alot of space in my visual field. but that's just a personal opinion. he does really like the sight.

I like Meprolight or Trijicon. I have those because I hate chasing batteries or messing about with issues like that. Can be spendy, but well worth it in the long run.

Nice thing is that if you want to put it on a Bentley AR you pick up later, it will work for that too.

Pick it up, put the dot on it, and a smoking hole magically appears.

I use both magnified scopes and a red dot on my AR. Scope for long range... red dot for short range. The red dot I have is a Bushnell Trophy 1X28. Its designed for hunting, so it works well on my lever action rifle. With additional risers it is great on the AR. One scope for two rifles.

Scope. If you have an astigmatism the dots look fuzzy and suck looking at.

(Used two Vortex 1-4's on an AR and Rem 700 - fantastic)

I have three Holosun units, I really like the one with the 65 MOA ring and center dot.

I have several of the TRS25's as well and they are pretty hard to beat for what they cost.

Let us know what you think of the Spitfire. Sounds like a interesting option

I love my Vortex Strike fire because it has a red and green dot (green is best for bright days) and it is powered by a regular battery....
Out at 100 yds I can hit a 5" metal plate repeatedly.
Point and shoot accuracy.

Ditto with Jim! I have the Strike Fire on my M-4! One of my favorite features is, they claim, 7,000hrs on a set of batteries.
Mine works perfect and, I think, is a heck of a lot of red dot for the money!:cool:

I have three Holosun units, I really like the one with the 65 MOA ring and center dot.

I have several of the TRS25's as well and they are pretty hard to beat for what they cost.

I like the looks but to be honest I have not mounted it yet.......life got busy and have not had a chance to take it out and play yet. You know how it works when you are self employed.......hell not even much time on here lately......

How well do you like the normal holosun units? I have had 3 of the TRS25 units and ended up selling them, I have a astigmatism in both eyes so red dots are not 100% my friend but they shoot pretty good for me, I got the TRS25's for 50$ each on black friday last year and have since sold them to buddies.

But I have looked at the holosuns because of the long battery life and the auto on functions.. looked like a better and much cheaper version of the aimpoints.

I'm also having problems with my vision and lighted scopes. Last one I looked through was one of those with multiple colors and multiple shaped dots. Unfortunately, most of the shapes were a blur to me.

Just ordered a Bushnell AR series 1-4X and hoping that one is clearer. Could be, that with my vision issue, a lighted reticle isn't something I will be able to use.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top